Islanders' Strome Fighting For A Job

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Does anyone know how many games Strome played wing at ES? I recall a couple of games. My recollection was he played center mostly, and most effectively.

The question isn't whether Strome is going to be 'fine' on the wing, it's whether he's better than the alternatives.

I'm starting to believe that the best move is to keep Strome at center, really roll 4 lines, and exploit our forward depth for all it is worth.

Nelson/Lee-Tavares-Okposo
Nelson/Lee-Grabovski-Kulemin
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner
Cizikas-Strome-Clutterbuck

Are you asking about last season? I thought he was slotted at wing for almost the entirety of his stay. I could be wrong though, someone would have to go back and look at the GDT's I guess?

I agree about questioning whether he's better than the alternatives. Is he better than Tavares, Nelson, Grabovski, Nielsen, or Cizikas at the center position? Is he better than Nelson, Lee, Bailey, Grabner, Kulemin at the wing position? By how much?

I'd be interested in ditching the energy line and rolling 4 lines. I think it'd be worth a shot. There are so many different line combinations you could make rolling the 4.

BroadwayJay*

Are you asking about last season? I thought he was slotted at wing for almost the entirety of his stay. I could be wrong though, someone would have to go back and look at the GDT's I guess?

I agree about questioning whether he's better than the alternatives. Is he better than Tavares, Nelson, Grabovski, Nielsen, or Cizikas at the center position? Is he better than Nelson, Lee, Bailey, Grabner, Kulemin at the wing position? By how much?

I'd be interested in ditching the energy line and rolling 4 lines. I think it'd be worth a shot. There are so many different line combinations you could make rolling the 4.

He was at center when he made Matt Martin and Colin McDonald look like they belong in the NHL and that was on fairly short minutes (I think, and I can try and double check)

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Pretty sure he played center for the vast majority of it. Especially his most effective play with Martin and McDonald.

BroadwayJay*

Pretty sure he played center for the vast majority of it. Especially his most effective play with Martin and McDonald.

He should get a chance centering a line with Clutterbuck and Conacher, who are both basically better versions of Martin and McDonald.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He was at center when he made Matt Martin and Colin McDonald look like they belong in the NHL and that was on fairly short minutes (I think, and I can try and double check)

You're both right. Brain fart on my end, haha.:help:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He should get a chance centering a line with Clutterbuck and Conacher, who are both basically better versions of Martin and McDonald.

I'm thinking the same thing. But that would mean Cizikas would be the odd man out, which I'm not a fan of because I think he can be a better player than Conacher.

Or maybe it's just I haven't seen enough of Conacher to be a believer. I guess that's what these games are for.

Decisions, decisions...

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Meh, my problem with this entire situation is that it is just the same old same old. Every summer, we Islander fans sit around excited about watching the latest star kiddies break in. And, every fall, we watch those kids sit on the side line while the Isles break in the new generation of Andy Hilbert - bubble players cast off from other organizations who bring a limited skillset to the table and will be gone in time.

I agree that Strome has not been great in camp, but Conacher was pretty blah in his first two games and only begin to shine after he got tons of ice time with KO and JT. What would Strome have done in the same situation.

I understand that Strome is waiver eligible and Conacher is not, but I would have hoped this organization was finally past the point of filling in the lineup with AHL guys and guys signed off the NHL trash heap.

Guess I was wrong.

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Meh, my problem with this entire situation is that it is just the same old same old. Every summer, we Islander fans sit around excited about watching the latest star kiddies break in. And, every fall, we watch those kids sit on the side line while the Isles break in the new generation of Andy Hilbert - bubble players cast off from other organizations who bring a limited skillset to the table and will be gone in time.

I agree that Strome has not been great in camp, but Conacher was pretty blah in his first two games and only begin to shine after he got tons of ice time with KO and JT. What would Strome have done in the same situation.

I understand that Strome is waiver eligible and Conacher is not, but I would have hoped this organization was finally past the point of filling in the lineup with AHL guys and guys signed off the NHL trash heap.

Guess I was wrong.

strome isnt competing with hilbert. there are currently five better centers on the roster: tavares, grabovski, nielsen, nelson and cizikas. nelson came to camp eady to play, this guy didnt. days of guys earning roster spot automatically based on their draft position are long gone.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I said it last year...Strome made Martin and CMac look like Iginla and Lucic.

No doubt about it, Strome belongs on this team. Wing, Centre, D, wherever....put the guy anywhere as long as he's on it and able to contribute.

If he isn't, then I underestimated how incompetent our management is. And I guess we can chalk up another correct prediction for ITM lol.

BroadwayJay*

strome isnt competing with hilbert. there are currently five better centers on the roster: tavares, grabovski, nielsen, nelson and cizikas. nelson came to camp eady to play, this guy didnt. days of guys earning roster spot automatically based on their draft position are long gone.

Cizikas is a better center than Strome?

Strome scored two more points in 43 fewer games.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I bet Strome still plays more than 60 games, regardless of is he starts in the N or A. I'm not worried.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
hes 21 people, not 27. If Strome Needs to start as the #1 center in Bport then that's not a bad thing. It means the camp competition was good and there are guys that beat him it...He will eventually take that next step but its not the worst thing in the world if he doesn't make the opening night roster.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I bet Strome still plays more than 60 games, regardless of is he starts in the N or A. I'm not worried.

He deserves to play 82 in the NHL but probably won't. That's an issue.

Much like Nelson last year. Watching games in the press box while Regin and PMB farted around on the ice.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Much like Nelson last year. Watching games in the press box while Regin and PMB farted around on the ice.

But last year, did PMB and Regin genuinely out-play Nelson in camp or was it just Cappy favoring vets? I honestly don't remember, but for some reason I'm inclined to think it was the latter. This year, I'm not so sure.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
hes 21 people, not 27. If Strome Needs to start as the #1 center in Bport then that's not a bad thing. It means the camp competition was good and there are guys that beat him it...He will eventually take that next step but its not the worst thing in the world if he doesn't make the opening night roster.

No, it's not the end of the world.

But it sucks when everyone except management know that having Strome on the ice would help more than a Conacher, Martin, CMac, Cizikas, etc

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
No, it's not the end of the world.

But it sucks when everyone except management know that having Strome on the ice would help more than a Conacher, Martin, CMac, Cizikas, etc

But then we're back to the Nino argument. Do you want Strome getting 4th line minutes? Only one of those players is in competition with Strome for Top 6 minutes. Martin and Cizikas are 4th liners and barring a trade to free up spots, I wouldn't be surprised to see CMac waived.

BroadwayJay*

I think our first line played WAY too minutes last season because of depth issues. It would be good to scale them back a bit and let them have fresher legs in the third period.

It is good to have four lines you can count on.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

But that's my point. Nelson played 72 last year, while we all freaked out in October/November that he wasn't playing. Our line up in October will look nothing like our lineup in January of 2015. It never does.

Now, will they make the changes quick enough and before it is too late? That is something we are all scared of, for sure.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Conacher - Strome - Clutterbuck would be a very intriguing line.

You have Strome who lifted up the level of offense from CMac and Martin

and you have Clutterbuck and Conacher who have excelled playing with high end offensive centers in the past.

I'd love trying this line out vs softer opponents as the 4th line.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
But then we're back to the Nino argument. Do you want Strome getting 4th line minutes? Only one of those players is in competition with Strome for Top 6 minutes. Martin and Cizikas are 4th liners and barring a trade to free up spots, I wouldn't be surprised to see CMac waived.

Actually no. We're not back to the Nino arguement.

Nino had proven squat in the NHL prior to being handed a full-time spot.

Strome on the other hand has already shown that he can contribute in the NHL....even with weak line-mates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad