Islanders' Strome Fighting For A Job

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
"I think Ryan knows his camp hasn't been where it needs to be," the coach said of the Isles' top prospect. "He has the kind of talent a lot of guys would love to have, but we need to see him get involved more. And he knows that."

Strome was at center last night, starting between Nikolay Kulemin and Josh Bailey, the latter an Isles mainstay who also needs a strong week to have a spot when the season begins in Raleigh on Oct.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-ryan-strome-is-fighting-for-a-job-1.9450979?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-ryan-strome-is-fighting-for-a-job-1.9450979?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It is a travesty that Bailey makes the team because of his contract - they need to trade him asap and move on.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Good to hear, and it's how it should be. No more making this team because of contract, or upside or convenience. Let the best players play... the rebuild is over.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Good to hear, and it's how it should be. No more making this team because of contract, or upside or convenience. Let the best players play... the rebuild is over.

I disagree with this, i think alot of it has to do with the fact that Strome can go back to the ahl without waivers. It does makes sense they dont want to lose guys like conocher and cmac through waivers. If guys like grabs or kuelman get hurt there is not anybody to replace them. Strome or Lee will be the first ones called up if there is an injury.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I disagree with this, i think alot of it has to do with the fact that Strome can go back to the ahl without waivers. It does makes sense they dont want to lose guys like conocher and cmac through waivers. If guys like grabs or kuelman get hurt there is not anybody to replace them. Strome or Lee will be the first ones called up if there is an injury.

Conacher can actually play, Strome has struggled as a winger and just isn't good enough to bump Tavares/Grabovski/Nielsen from center.

Lee has probably made a good case for himself to make this roster but I think his play stagnated on the third line with Nielsen last night compared to when he was in a top
six role with Tavares & Okposo as well as Nelson & Strome.

I don't think Snow would have any problem waiving a guy like Conacher or McDonald.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
Strome should be on the team; sending him down could be counter productive. Conacher is fighting for his professional life, but Strome is the future IMHO waive CMAC before you send Strome down.

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK
I still think Strome should make the team as a 2nd line RW. He might not be having the greatest camp at RW but we saw last year that he is capable to play there and I think we should not disregard that. He even had his best game as a RW against Canadiens if I remember correctly. I also believe he is the best left half-board option on our PP1 unit.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
If Strome gets sent down I'll be all :dunno: (He really didn't kick down the door and force his way on the roster)

If Lee gets sent down, I'll be all :rant: :shakehead: :huh: :pout: because he as exhibited that he is beyond ready and he is exactly what this team lacks/needs.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I'll be very happy to be proven wrong, but I couldn't agree less with how we're handling Strome. We know how much talent he has, and he showed last year he's already a capable top-6 NHL forward. Enough yo-yoing him around. It's time to insert him in the lineup regularly and expect him to produce. I don't see how he'll grow without the responsibility — there's nothing more for him to show in the AHL. I definitely am not OK with keeping him in the AHL in favor of Cory Conacher. Maybe Conacher's serviceable, but he's not the future of this franchise.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I guess everyone has bought into the mentality of having these kids play immediately in the NHL. That doesn't always work out so well. (not going to mention anyone's name)

How about send him down, allow him to develop and mature, and get his confidence up.. and stay healthy.

Inevitably, when Bailey tanks (or continues with his Kvashaitis), or the injury bug happens, bring him up

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
If Strome gets sent down I'll be all :dunno: (He really didn't kick down the door and force his way on the roster)

If Lee gets sent down, I'll be all :rant: :shakehead: :huh: :pout: because he as exhibited that he is beyond ready and he is exactly what this team lacks/needs.

Agree 100%. While Strome might have tremendous upside, it doesn't appear that he's reached it yet if guys like Conacher are out-playing him. Will it be like this forever? Hopefully not. When the time comes that Strome is out-playing one of the 13 forwards on the NHL roster, he can replace one of those guys. If he can't distinguish himself quite yet, it's time for a bit more seasoning.

I believe in the kid, but he may still be just a bit undercooked.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I think Strome is so close to NHL level that he needs to stick it out. I'm not sure going to the AHL is going to benefit him. Problem is, where do you play him for the time being.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
If we're going to role 3 scoring lines, than Strome should be our #3 center. Nelson has been a beast and it is just stupid not to play him with JT and KO.

I really think it's time to move Frans to Strome's wing. What better way to let a kid with all the offense talent in the world adapt than to put our most responsible forward on his wing.

People seem to forget that when Strome centered Martin and CMac last season, he turned that line into a scoring threat.

Nelson - JT - KO
Lee - Grabo - Kule
Grabner - Strome - Frans
Martin/Bailey - CC - Clutterbuck

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Strome is 21.. If he needs to start as the #1 center in BPORT, so be it...

the 12 best forwards and 6 best defenseman need to make this team.

I do think however the Isles need to make a decision on what position both Nelson and Strome will play....They seem to be attached to both at Center...

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I think Strome is so close to NHL level that he needs to stick it out. I'm not sure going to the AHL is going to benefit him. Problem is, where do you play him for the time being.

Play him in the NHL at 180 lbs, playing out of position (RW) where he isn't comfortable, and you are playing with fire.

Remember Kyle Turris? He is a player very similar to Ryan Strome in skillset and talent. When he was 21 he played in the NHL and put up 11G and 14A in 65 Games. This was after doing extremely well in the AHL as a 20 year old (and having a rough start to his NHL career as a 19 year old). The next season after a slow start he was traded away for Rundblad and a 2nd rd pick. Pretty sure most PHX fans thought he was a bust at that time.

By playing Strome out of position in the NHL when it looks like he may not be comfortable, you are looking for trouble. I would err on the side of caution and make him force my hand.

BroadwayJay*

Play him in the NHL at 180 lbs, playing out of position (RW) where he isn't comfortable, and you are playing with fire.

Remember Kyle Turris? He is a player very similar to Ryan Strome in skillset and talent. When he was 21 he played in the NHL and put up 11G and 14A in 65 Games. This was after doing extremely well in the AHL as a 20 year old (and having a rough start to his NHL career as a 19 year old). The next season after a slow start he was traded away for Rundblad and a 2nd rd pick. Pretty sure most PHX fans thought he was a bust at that time.

By playing Strome out of position in the NHL when it looks like he may not be comfortable, you are looking for trouble. I would err on the side of caution and make him force my hand.

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Conacher - Grabovsky - Kulemin
Grabner - Nielsen - Bailey
Lee - Strome - Cizikas
x - Martin

Even out the time too of course.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Strome tore up the AHL the first part of last year and put up points with fourth liners in the NHL last year by turning them into a legitimate scoring threat with his ability.

I think he should be on the NHL roster.

The irony of all this is that if Grabovski and Kulemin had not signed here we wouldn't be having this discussion. As it is we now need to make decisions about center roles when Strome may not yet be considered strong enough to push out one of our top 3 (JT, Frans, Grab) and doesn't offer the size of Nelson in the same position. To top it all he wouldn't need to clear waivers...

As much as I hate to say it, i think he's going to get shafted in favour of protecting an existing waiver eligible player, and it sucks. He should be playing right wing with a long term view of moving to center.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
As much as I hate to say it, i think he's going to get shafted in favour of protecting an existing waiver eligible player, and it sucks. He should be playing right wing with a long term view of moving to center.

Help me understand how a 21 year old, going down, is getting shafted?

Lets think long term here and not "bring him up right now, b/c we need to score and win!"

We are so deep on F,,, lets pull back and back the right decisions for once, and not just the typical bad moves the Isles have done in previous years.

BroadwayJay*

Where is Clutterbuck?

I knew I forgot someone.

Damn, we have one hell of a logjam!

Lee - Strome - Cizikas
Clutterbuck
Martin

All of the above probably should be playing. Not a bad problem to have, of course.

A trade probably has to be made. :(

I want Clutterbuck to play.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Agree completely on Strome. IMHO the kid obviously has the talent but he has definitely not wowed with his play. Patience. If he gets sent to the AHL it is a temporary thing since he will be back due to injury or improved play at some point this season and likley relatively soon. So with long term in mind, I would not worry about Strome's roster spot at all. Honestly, whether it is Bailey or Conacher or some other forward that gets that spot, I do not think that there will be a material impact on the team short term. I like that we have depth at forward.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Help me understand how a 21 year old, going down, is getting shafted?

Lets think long term here and not "bring him up right now, b/c we need to score and win!"

We are so deep on F,,, lets pull back and back the right decisions for once, and not just the typical bad moves the Isles have done in previous years.

During his actual play in the NHL regular season he looked like he belonged. Now we are in the position of having to demote him because his natural center position is a log-jam and he is playing outside of his normal role during pre-season games.

I think sending him down rather than making some space on the wing for him by waiving someone else IS being shafted.

What about his performance last year makes you think he should go back? Is developing a future centre with Strome's potential on the wing for a year so objectionable?

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Honestly, whether it is Bailey or Conacher or some other forward that gets that spot, I do not think that there will be a material impact on the team short term. I like that we have depth at forward.

To me that says we can afford to make some space to get Strome some development time in the NHL, because I agree that the probably wouldn't be a material difference in the short term but Strome is likely to be a good piece for the roster for a number of years.

If that is true why NOT keep him up?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I knew I forgot someone.

Damn, we have one hell of a logjam!

Lee - Strome - Cizikas
Clutterbuck
Martin

All of the above probably should be playing. Not a bad problem to have, of course.

A trade probably has to be made. :(

I want Clutterbuck to play.

Strome should go down, play with Persson and Collberg. See what chemistry he can have with a player like Collberg (who I think has a future). Injuries happen all the time. Strome will be up at some point, but it should be at Center.

Nelson-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Grabovski-Conacher
Bailey-Nielsen-Kulemin
Grabner-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

PP1: Tavares/Lee/Okposo
PP2: Grabovski/Nelson/Conacher

PK1: Grabner/Nielsen
PK2: Kulemin/Clutterbuck
x Cizikas

I want the defenceman on the points on all PP and PK units. Enough with the 4th forward.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
strome has to make the team.....i dont need bs fodder like bailey making this team instead of strome....martin as well when we have a better player that already fills the role.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad