Staples Twitter: Islanders Sign Devon Toews To 3 year ELC

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I think his NHL floor is Hickey, and his absolute NHL ceiling Andy Greene.

I think his floor is not making the NHL, it could happen. Unless you're saying is floor if he were in the NHL is Thomas Hickey, then I agree with you. But yes, if he were to make the NHL then Andy Greene is his ceiling. They play very similar.

To those who asked how big he is, he's 5'11", but it doesn't feel that way when you watch him. It looks like he's a lanky 6'2".

Also, to First Blood, don't worry about not signing Anas. Great college player, can't see him making it in the NHL. But he'll go down as my favorite forward in my time watching QU. Could be the best player in their history.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think his floor is not making the NHL, it could happen. Unless you're saying is floor if he were in the NHL is Thomas Hickey, then I agree with you. But yes, if he were to make the NHL then Andy Greene is his ceiling. They play very similar.

To those who asked how big he is, he's 5'11", but it doesn't feel that way when you watch him. It looks like he's a lanky 6'2".

Also, to First Blood, don't worry about not signing Anas. Great college player, can't see him making it in the NHL. But he'll go down as my favorite forward in my time watching QU. Could be the best player in their history.

This is what I mean.

If he makes it as an NHL player, his floor is Hickey.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Good leader on the ice, very steady. I couldn't believe it when I read that he was 5'11", he always looked and played a lot bigger than that. He has so much room to grow offensively but his defensive game is already very good.

I hate rating freshman college defensemen unless they're major standouts. On a team that had went to the Frozen Four and lost 4 of their top defensemen (all were seniors, Dalhuisen included), Toews was a nice surprise. Played better than 2013 5th round pick of Arizona Connor Clifton.

I also don't think he'll be an NHL defenseman, but like I said, he has so much room to grow and it's very hard to rate a defenseman after their first year in a new league. Especially college when there's classes involved.

If he cracks through it will likely be delayed and on the level of hickey.

Similar size, similar game.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp

I think his ceiling is hickey.

Nothing flashy. Smart. Mobile. Undersized, but decent strength.

I didn't watch every QU game, but the only game I saw him overwhelmed -- EVER -- was the finals against Dakota.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp

You don't think Clifton ends up taking the title here? Kid's a beast at the collegiate level.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wanted to bump this up.

Funny how none of us are talking about the possibility of his beating out someone or being the reason for making a trade with someone like DeHaan to get a winger.

Based on how he played in college I would think he would need less seasoning in the AHL than those who come up from Juniors.

Wouldn't surprise me the least to see him being the defensive surprise of training camp.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Wanted to bump this up.

Funny how none of us are talking about the possibility of his beating out someone or being the reason for making a trade with someone like DeHaan to get a winger.

Based on how he played in college I would think he would need less seasoning in the AHL than those who come up from Juniors.

Wouldn't surprise me the least to see him being the defensive surprise of training camp.

Maybe, but aside from these boards, where has there been chatter about the Isles potentially moving deHaan? I haven't seen any.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Wanted to bump this up.

This is extremely unrealistic. He's not making the NHL this year, and we're not trading deHaan now because Toews might beat him in training camp. That's crazy.

Does he handle himself well physically or is he another Eberle?

Toews is a defenseman, so not really sure why he's being compared to Eberle.

But he handles the big guys well. He doesn't overpower them, he's very smart positionally (which apparently is not a word).

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I would like to see what he does in camp before making any opinions on him.

PS Food for thought. Look at how few righties we have in the pool. Not in our top 6 we have Mayfield, LeDuc and Burroughs. I would be very hesitant to trade away Mayfield.

Lefties we have Pelech, Bischoff, Somerby, Toews, Finn, Vande Somple and Wortherspoon

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He needs at least a year in the AHL. Probably two before he'll be ready for a legit shot.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It's a hell of a long way from being a good player in junior to actually getting gametime in the NHL. I think if he ever plays a game in the show it's a successful pick

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It's a hell of a long way from being a good player in junior to actually getting gametime in the NHL. I think if he ever plays a game in the show it's a successful pick

You might want to edit you post.

He just left Quinnipiac after three seasons, leading them to the NCAA Championship game.

26 points in 29 games with a +20. Anyone who watched him play saw a poise that not many have.

I really think a lot of you are really underestimating what this kid can do.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
You might want to edit you post.

He just left Quinnipiac after three seasons, leading them to the NCAA Championship game.

26 points in 29 games with a +20. Anyone who watched him play saw a poise that not many have.

I really think a lot of you are really underestimating what this kid can do.

Until he actually plays for the Islanders, I see no need to edit any post. For all I know he could well become a great, great player but how many times have we seen junior players with great numbers and highlights videos who never amount to anything? Most prospects never make it and Toews is no different. Next season he will face his first real test when lacing up for the Tigers. If he impresses there he has a shot, but he have to be really good to play in the NHL. Junior numbers mean nothing at all now.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This is extremely unrealistic. He's not making the NHL this year, and we're not trading deHaan now because Toews might beat him in training camp. That's crazy.

Toews is a defenseman, so not really sure why he's being compared to Eberle.

But he handles the big guys well. He doesn't overpower them, he's very smart positionally (which apparently is not a word).

Physical play is not consigned to any one position. But I could have asked if he is another Wyshart if that would make it clearer. Eberle is just a current yardstick for toilet paper soft, you know? I could have asked about his skating and compared him to a forward as well because skating is skating.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Physical play is not consigned to any one position. But I could have asked if he is another Wyshart if that would make it clearer. Eberle is just a current yardstick for toilet paper soft, you know? I could have asked about his skating and compared him to a forward as well because skating is skating.

No, he's not another Wishart. Toews is an extremely smart defenseman. Wishart is to preschool as Toews is to Harvard.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
No, he's not another Wishart. Toews is an extremely smart defenseman. Wishart is to preschool as Toews is to Harvard.

How about a comparison to Ness? Ness didn't suck, I get why they drafted him although I would not have except maybe with a 6th. I guess we will know next year but I was hoping we'd see the last smallish defenseman with the exit of Hickey at some point.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Until he actually plays for the Islanders, I see no need to edit any post. For all I know he could well become a great, great player but how many times have we seen junior players with great numbers and highlights videos who never amount to anything? Most prospects never make it and Toews is no different. Next season he will face his first real test when lacing up for the Tigers. If he impresses there he has a shot, but he have to be really good to play in the NHL. Junior numbers mean nothing at all now.

Why do you keep calling him a junior player when he was a college player? He's 22-years old, a heck of a lot different from a 19-year old junior making the leap to the AHL. That's my point.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

He's listed as 6' 1" now.

Also, for those who might want to get a glimpse, ESPNU is rebroadcasting the NCAA Final game on Monday at 7:30am

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Why do you keep calling him a junior player when he was a college player? He's 22-years old, a heck of a lot different from a 19-year old junior making the leap to the AHL. That's my point.

My mistake for sure, but he has yet to play a game against other pros and only then will we see if we've hit the jackpot. That's my point. Good numbers in other leagues mean nothing once his pro career gets underway as has been shown countless times before. A few years ago we thought Matt Donovan was the next great thing, and we signed Czuczman out of college who looked very promising for a while. Successful pickups in the sense that they played in the NHL coming from nowhere but look at where they are now.

The pro game is much tougher than any non-pro league, college or junior, and not every player copes or makes the transition.. Now he will have to compete with other very talented young men for attention and icetime and time will tell if he is good enough. Nothing would please me more than if he made it, but it's far too early to tell.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
How about a comparison to Ness? Ness didn't suck, I get why they drafted him although I would not have except maybe with a 6th. I guess we will know next year but I was hoping we'd see the last smallish defenseman with the exit of Hickey at some point.

He had much better numbers than Ness in college.

I don't know if he'll be an NHL defenseman, I'm really bad at evaluating that. But I do know he was a seriously good college defenseman.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Bumping Up

Wanted to bump this up.

Was a big fan of his in college last year and think he's our biggest sleeper prospect that no one talks about.

2G/4A in 12 games in his first full year at Bridgeport, tied for 2nd on the team in points.

Can anyone who watches Bridgeport give some insight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad