Staples Twitter: Islanders Sign Devon Toews To 3 year ELC

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't really know anything about him except what I have found since the pick, but everyone that has seen him play has nothing but good things to say about his game.

Found this article, which featured some pretty high praise from his BCHL coach:

Erhart will tell anyone else who will listen about Toews’ maturity and his uncanny ability to break up passes and create turnovers.

“His ability to knock pucks away and knock pucks down is the best I’ve seen in Junior hockey,†says Erhart, who counts on Toews to play big minutes every game. “His angles and his stick are so good, he rarely makes a big hit because he doesn’t have to. That allows him to play a lot of minutes each night which makes me, as a coach, pretty happy.â€
http://hockeynow.ca/junior/43599-surrey-eagles-devon-toews-in-midst-of-exciting-times

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Good leader on the ice, very steady. I couldn't believe it when I read that he was 5'11", he always looked and played a lot bigger than that. He has so much room to grow offensively but his defensive game is already very good.

I hate rating freshman college defensemen unless they're major standouts. On a team that had went to the Frozen Four and lost 4 of their top defensemen (all were seniors, Dalhuisen included), Toews was a nice surprise. Played better than 2013 5th round pick of Arizona Connor Clifton.

I also don't think he'll be an NHL defenseman, but like I said, he has so much room to grow and it's very hard to rate a defenseman after their first year in a new league. Especially college when there's classes involved.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Good leader on the ice, very steady. I couldn't believe it when I read that he was 5'11", he always looked and played a lot bigger than that. He has so much room to grow offensively but his defensive game is already very good.

I hate rating freshman college defensemen unless they're major standouts. On a team that had went to the Frozen Four and lost 4 of their top defensemen (all were seniors, Dalhuisen included), Toews was a nice surprise. Played better than 2013 5th round pick of Arizona Connor Clifton.

I also don't think he'll be an NHL defenseman, but like I said, he has so much room to grow and it's very hard to rate a defenseman after their first year in a new league. Especially college when there's classes involved.

Sounds like he has some very good qualities from your description Slapshot.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Good news.

Toews has been Quinnipiac's top defenseman in all situations for a solid two years now. Will likely need 2-3 years in the AHL to get adjust to the pro game and add some muscle, but I think he has potential.

NHL floor = Thomas Hickey
NHL max ceiling = Andy Greene

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Good news.

Toews has been Quinnipiac's top defenseman in all situations for a solid two years now. Will likely need 2-3 years in the AHL to get adjust to the pro game and add some muscle, but I think he has potential.

NHL floor = Thomas Hickey
NHL max ceiling = Andy Greene

Good to see this kid joining the ranks. The quantity of prospects was getting a little low but between Toews, Wotherspoon and Van Sompel, its getting re-stocked pretty quickly.

The Google tells me he shoots lefty. I'm honestly not sure if that's good or bad for us right now. What are MVS and PW? Lefties I'm guessing.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The last possible day for finals is May 13th, by the way

BST reporting other things.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I know I could google, but how big is he and what are his strengths?

His strengths are reading reads plays and breaking up developments, and he's combines that with a good stick. Smart defenseman, who has some offensive flair

He'll be listed around 5'11 or 6' everywhere, but seems to have a bigger frame (and definitely better stride) than someone like Hickey for example.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
5'11

His skill set screams TWD

Really wanted us to get Sam Anas too. But I guess we cannot be that greedy.

I think this is a good signing... Esp with the expansion draft looming.

His strengths are reading reads plays and breaking up developments, and he's combines that with a good stick. Smart defenseman, who has some offensive flair

He'll be listed around 5'11 or 6' everywhere, but seems to have a bigger frame (and definitely better stride) than someone like Hickey for example.

Sounds like a 3/4 ceiling?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I wish he stayed one more year, but I'm happy to see him with the organization. Go Bobcats!

He's also unbelievably better now than he was his freshman year, when I thought he was really good for a freshman. seafoam said it in another thread, he has a very similar playing style to Andy Greene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad