Pre-Game Talk: Islanders @ Senators Nov. 1 (7:30 p.m. Eastern, 4:30 p.m. Pacific)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Neil will be chirping at Spezza all game you can bet on that. Putting Spezza with two of the hardest working players will make him realize that the game is not just all pretty stuff.

This could actually work now that spezza is starting to shoot a lot more.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
It reminds me of Sundin playing with Domi. It worked on occasion, but you certainly didn't want that to be your long term solution.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
:laugh: you mean Alfie made everyone better (younger Alfie obviously)

Spezza shows his true colors because he can't make anyone better and is the worst defensive player on the team. But ya keep dreaming...

Yeah...it was Alfie that made Butler look like a 25 goal scorer, and Greening a 40+ point player, and Alfie also got Michalek a 35 goal season. Heatley was definitely a product of Alfie, too.

Oh, also, Alfie's numbers actually got better when he didn't play with Spezza. Also, Spezza didn't have his best ever season playing away from Alfredsson (probably a product of Michalek)...

Hmm...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
:laugh: you mean Alfie made everyone better (younger Alfie obviously)

Spezza shows his true colors because he can't make anyone better and is the worst defensive player on the team. But ya keep dreaming...

Spezza definitely makes players better. No question about it. He'll make them look 3 times their worth.

At the same time though he'll make the whole line worse defensively. People don't understand the value Alfredsson held on that line defensively.

To be honest, last year, to start the year, Spezza looked dominant at both ends of the ice and he was also very good against NYR in defensive end.

Spezza CAN be good defensively but this is the worst Spezza I've seen in years. I don't know if the injuries are haunting him and he's not trying harder but it's not like Spezza has always been like this lately.

What's frustrating me is that we are in position to win now and I don't need the Captain of all people to start playing some of the worst hockey of his career that'll make this team start second guessing itself, argh. I'll give it 5-10 more games (especially since it's against easy weak Eastern teams) to judge what type of Spezza is showing up.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza started the season coming off back-surgery (unless you count the Pitts series), a knee injury and then injured his groin.

The last 2 - 3 games he's been much better defensively effort wise, and responsible with the puck. I'd say he's more likely to round into form as the season goes on than stay at his current level.

I think a lot of people understand what value Alfredsson held defensively with Spezza in his earlier years. I think having someone like that on his line now would be great...it's why I wanted Eriksson so badly -- great defensively and a strong possession player that could emulate what Alfredsson brought to the old Pizza line. Eriksson - Spezza - Zibanejad/Ryan would have been so good...

That said when Michalek was healthy and skating hard he also brought a strong element of defensive responsibility to the line. Now I'm not really sure I like what I see from Michalek on either side of the ice. Finding a defensively responsible possession type winger to play with Spezza would be ideal ATM IMO.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't see how. Opposition will start playing tighter on Spezza since Neil is not much of a threat offensively.

Neil is a big body who can push people around. He will crash the net and will give spezza the chance to shoot the puck at the net more.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Neil is a big body who can push people around. He will crash the net and will give spezza the chance to shoot the puck at the net more.

1 D and 2 F will just crowd Spezza, they'll quite happily leave Conacher and Neil floating around. No threat.

I predict by the beginning of the 2nd period Michalek will be back with Spezza.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
1 D and 2 F will just crowd Spezza, they'll quite happily leave Conacher and Neil floating around. No threat.

I predict by the beginning of the 2nd period Michalek will be back with Spezza.

First of all, you have absolutely no idea what the opposition will do, so stop trying to act like you do.

Second of all, Michalek is no ****ing offensive threat either. If he gets back on the first line, then i really question the coaches decision. Michalek is NOT a top 6 forward.

Last edited:

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Michalek is no ****ing offensive threat either. If he gets back on the first line, then i really question the coaches decision. Michalek is NOT at top 6 forward. Even Conacher is more of an offensive threat then michalek.

So the 35 goals in 2011-12 season doesn't do it for you?
Maybe not Line 1, but surely he's a solid Line 2 forward.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think Mac wants to see how these 3rd and 4th lines mesh together and reshuffle one that doesn't look good with Spezza line as game goes on.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Michalek might not be an ideal 'first liner', but he is more than capable at playing in the 'top 6'.

dasboot

Jajajaja
Sep 12, 2010
Really don't get the Milan hate. He hasn't been amazing but 8 points in 12 games and I remember on multiple occasions him making good defensive plays.

Got to remember he's still coming off the different method he tried to repair his knee this summer. This whole team is still getting into season form and once we do I'm not worried at all.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Get Simmonds, and we can have this as our top 6

Michalek/Spezza/Simmonds
MacArthur/Turris/Ryan

That is a top 6 that would be dangerous. Simmonds opens room up for Milan and Spezza to snipe some.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Get Simmonds, and we can have this as our top 6

Michalek/Spezza/Simmonds
MacArthur/Turris/Ryan

That is a top 6 that would be dangerous. Simmonds opens room up for Milan and Spezza to snipe some.

MacArthur/Spezza/Simmonds
Michalek/Turris/Ryan

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Michalek might not be an ideal 'first liner', but he is more than capable at playing in the 'top 6'.

I agree, he's going to get better as the season goes on unless he blows out his knee or something again.

An underpreforming UFA with a 6 million dollar salary and a 4m dollar cap hit isn't going to bring u back much of anything in a trade anyway.

Im not sure what people expect to get for the guy, the Sens are better off just hoping he finds his groove and decide if they want to re-sign him or not as the season goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad