Confirmed with Link: Islanders Re-sign Engvall

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
27 year old middle six/bottom six type who has never hit 20 goals…

I really like Engvall and am glad we acquired him/retained him, but there is also no one with his resume getting seven year deals in the league.
I'd say COL signing Nichushkin for 8 years at $6.125M (1 more year and just over two times the AAV as Engvall, with both at 27 years old when signed) is sort of analogous. COL backed up the truck based on 1 season (and especially the 20 playoff games).

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I'd say COL signing Nichushkin for 8 years at $6.125M (1 more year and just over two times the AAV as Engvall, with both at 27 years old when signed) is sort of analogous. COL backed up the truck based on 1 season (and especially the 20 playoff games).
Nichushkin>Engvall. Not sure what you are saying

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Nichushkin>Engvall. Not sure what you are saying
$6.125M > $3M.

8 years > 7 years.

Same age at signing. Both big, skating wingers.

Nichushkin's contract was based on 1 season. You were looking for something analogous.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I still think they're banking on a leap in production. He's a 30-38 point player, and a player i'm fine giving 3M to.

Again, if he does start to throw the body around, and he becomes a force on the 2nd line, then its a steal. If not? Then he's a third liner.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
I still think they're banking on a leap in production. He's a 30-38 point player, and a player i'm fine giving 3M to.

Again, if he does start to throw the body around, and he becomes a force on the 2nd line, then its a steal. If not? Then he's a third liner.
This is correct. Not a popular opinion, but I think Engvall will be one of the better signings Lou has made. He typically doesn't like 'unknown' players. He is heavy handed in trading for older brand names and paying them for past performance. Lou paying for future performance is a welcome change.

Reactions: Seph and Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is correct. Not a popular opinion, but I think Engvall will be one of the better signings Lou has made. He typically doesn't like 'unknown' players. He is heavy handed in trading for older brand names and paying them for past performance. Lou paying for future performance is a welcome change.
You also have to remember that his statistics in Toronto were amazing for a third liner with David Kampf. Seriously, the work he does for shooting is insane. He's an analytical darling and you can see it on the ice. If he becomes Nichushkin tier, then we have a really good steal, but that is lofty.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I’m with you on this. I really like what I saw out of Engvall. He has 32 goals his last 2 years, including some short handed goals due to his speed. And he seems to be improving every year. 15 goals 2 years ago, 17 last year, if he gets you 15-20 goals a year for the next 7 years, he’s well worth the contract.

What I liked also, is he seemed to click with the Islanders pretty quickly. I’m excited to see what Engvall can give us over a full season, with him knowing the Isles wanted him long term and are willing to give him a chance. Love his size and speed. Not a banger necessarily, but he’s not timid either, I’ve actually seen him fight. He’s a perfect 3rd line winger, or if he meshes with Nelson again, could be a 2nd line wing. I like his versatility, and like I said, he’s a threat killing penalties because of that speed.

Reactions: Osakahaus

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Not really a fan of Engvall; I could take him or leave him. More of a 3rd liner. Yeah, he brings some speed and transition, but not much else. You do not sign these 'meh,' dime-a-dozen players to 7 years. Just like you do not sign a 30 year old, 5th D man to 7 years.
I don't believe he's a dime a dozen player. His size/speed combination is very rare. Also, he is pretty damn good in transition and puck retrieval in the offensive zone. He has been a 35 pt player playing a very limited role. I think he has Chandler Stephenson like potential - a late bloomer who just needed more opportunity.

These are the types of players the Isles need more of. I don't believe he has hit his ceiling as of yet.

Reactions: Lek and mm11

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Engvall shows some promise. I think a decent signing at 3 million a year even at 7 years. Speed, size, skills are a rare combination.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I don't believe he's a dime a dozen player. His size/speed combination is very rare. Also, he is pretty damn good in transition and puck retrieval in the offensive zone. He has been a 35 pt player playing a very limited role. I think he has Chandler Stephenson like potential - a late bloomer who just needed more opportunity.

These are the types of players the Isles need more of. I don't believe he has hit his ceiling as of yet.

I acknowledged his speed, I don't see much skill. Listen, as a 3rd liner, for 3 million, he's fine. He's not a gamechanger. I just get the sense that he's overrated here. We'll see what he brings this year.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I acknowledged his speed, I don't see much skill. Listen, as a 3rd liner, for 3 million, he's fine. He's not a gamechanger. I just get the sense that he's overrated here. We'll see what he brings this year.
I think these flashes are what the Islanders are hoping he can bring more consistently...

There's more nice goals/plays out there. The issue in Toronto was that they needed him to be a third line grinder who added an element of physicality (because of his size) when in reality he's more of a complimentary scoring forward, something Toronto had/has in bunches. NYI has grinders up the wazoo and could use more speed and skill in the middle of their lineup even if it sacrifices some physicality.

Last edited:

4Cups Want More

May 12, 2022
He got the 7 years to keep the aav down. As the contract ages and the cap starts going up the contract won't look so bad and we may even be able to get out of the last year or two if necessary.

I don't need him to hit people. We needed a line driver for the second line after trading Beau. Someone to carry the puck from the defensive zone through the neutral zone and dish it to Nelson and Palms. Engvall forechecks fairly well and is stronger on the boards than Beau was. He will be an integral part of the second line and is well worth 3 mil.

Reactions: NYI365

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Well this one’s too easy.

Didn’t Snow sign Andrew Ladd to a 7 year $38.5M contract?
Wasn’t a post to hang or defend Snow it was about poster’s being livid over signing an unproven defender to a stupid 5 year deal. Seems like the distaste for this EngvalL deal echoes the same negativity.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
At $3 per, you can figure something out in years 5-7, I'm sure. It's long, but it's not some insurmountable prison that will destroy the integrity of the team for the foreseeable future.
No, the roster must have annual openings in case a ‘once in a blue moon’ Carter Verhaeghe is available to sign.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Well this one’s too easy.

Didn’t Snow sign Andrew Ladd to a 7 year $38.5M contract?
There is a lot more risk associated with signing a player longterm for 7.5% of the current cap limit than for 3.6% of it, though. And Lou was still able to dump the last two years of Ladd's contract during a flat cap.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
He got the 7 years to keep the aav down. As the contract ages and the cap starts going up the contract won't look so bad and we may even be able to get out of the last year or two if necessary.

I don't need him to hit people. We needed a line driver for the second line after trading Beau. Someone to carry the puck from the defensive zone through the neutral zone and dish it to Nelson and Palms. Engvall forechecks fairly well and is stronger on the boards than Beau was. He will be an integral part of the second line and is well worth 3 mil.
Not sure what everyone sees in Engvall, if he is someone you’re penciling in to be on the second line then your a team that is probably not making the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad