Confirmed with Link: Islanders Re-sign Engvall

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
They traded Beauvillier Raty and the 1st for Horvat. Engvall essentially replaced Beau in terms of style and roster spot.

You could look at it this way now.

Horvat+Engvall in

Beau+Raty+1st (flipped to DET for Hronek) out

I like what we have now

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
They traded Beauvillier Raty and the 1st for Horvat. Engvall essentially replaced Beau in terms of style and roster spot.

You could look at it this way now.

Horvat+Engvall in

Beau+Raty+1st (flipped to DET for Hronek) out

I like what we have now
There was also a pick sent to Toronto for Engvall, to make your ‘out’ accurate.

Beau was flipped bc he was underperforming on his deal and also a cap transfer asset. If you go one step further, Engvall replaces Beau at $3M vs Beau’s $4.1M. And with the way Beau was playing, rolling into 24/25 UFA, he wasn’t sticking around either.

Horvat was getting UFA ‘paid’ no matter how anyone rationalizes. He would have been a top 3 UFA this summer. He smartly avoided getting Johnny Trademark’d.

Reactions: NYI365

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: Beau, I remember conversations before the trade where it was kicked around whether due to his contract he had positive value, no value, or negative value. FWIW.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I can’t see any harm in resigning Engvall for the money we signed him for. At worst, he’s a 15+ goal 3rd line winger who’s a good penalty killer as well (a threat as a PKer because of his speed). At best, he’s a versatile winger who can play on all three lines and score 20+ goals. He’s improved every year he’s gotten a chance, with a career high 17 goals this year.

I can easily see him scoring 20+ goals a year. I like him a lot more than Holmstrom right now.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I can’t see any harm in resigning Engvall for the money we signed him for. At worst, he’s a 15+ goal 3rd line winger who’s a good penalty killer as well (a threat as a PKer because of his speed). At best, he’s a versatile winger who can play on all three lines and score 20+ goals. He’s improved every year he’s gotten a chance, with a career high 17 goals this year.

I can easily see him scoring 20+ goals a year. I like him a lot more than Holmstrom right now.

I also cannot see him taking stupid penalties like a few of our bottom 6 forwards do.
He skates like the wind and will be useful. So many here want him for a perfect number and perfect amount of years. Let's see is he if he actually maybe worth more than we are paying him....

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

The money is fine. The term is naturally a risk. He's a "safe" player in many respects.

I'm not gonna pencil him in for 20 goals until it happens. Been jaded by so many years of Beauvillier on this team.

I'm certainly hoping Engvall is ready to be all he can be and turn into a consistent 2nd line offensive threat. There's reason to believe he can be.

But there's also reason to believe he's basically a multifaceted 12-18-30 guy.

Well, I'm not sure there's anyone anywhere who doesn't.

I mean, we're talking about a 27-year old who has now had two full years of NHL hockey and solid 3rd line production.

Holmstrom is 22 and got into more than half a season worth of games, showing some nice things along the way. We know he's got a good sense of responsibility. We know he can tread water.

But honestly, looking at the make-up of this roster right now, I'd really hope we have so many options up front that Holmstrom can spend this season with a 1st line job in Bport and finally explode in some capacity. I mean, I'd like to see a 22-38-60 kind of season out of him with some real PP production. We really need that kind of system boost to create more options.

I think he's got it in him. I hope it'll be displayed this season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The money is fine. The term is naturally a risk. He's a "safe" player in many respects.

I'm not gonna pencil him in for 20 goals until it happens. Been jaded by so many years of Beauvillier on this team.

I'm certainly hoping Engvall is ready to be all he can be and turn into a consistent 2nd line offensive threat. There's reason to believe he can be.

But there's also reason to believe he's basically a multifaceted 12-18-30 guy.

Well, I'm not sure there's anyone anywhere who doesn't.

I mean, we're talking about a 27-year old who has now had two full years of NHL hockey and solid 3rd line production.

Holmstrom is 22 and got into more than half a season worth of games, showing some nice things along the way. We know he's got a good sense of responsibility. We know he can tread water.

But honestly, looking at the make-up of this roster right now, I'd really hope we have so many options up front that Holmstrom can spend this season with a 1st line job in Bport and finally explode in some capacity. I mean, I'd like to see a 22-38-60 kind of season out of him with some real PP production. We really need that kind of system boost to create more options.

I think he's got it in him. I hope it'll be displayed this season.
There’s a good chance Holmstrom starts in the AHL while they squeeze as much as they can out of Gauthier and Kuhlmann.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I also cannot see him taking stupid penalties like a few of our bottom 6 forwards do.
He skates like the wind and will be useful. So many here want him for a perfect number and perfect amount of years. Let's see is he if he actually maybe worth more than we are paying him....
Isn't it like that with every signing?

"I like the AAV but the term is too much. Lou's an idiot."
"I like the term but the AAV is too much. Lou's an idiot."
"The contract isn't too bad but I don't like the player. Lou's an idiot."

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Like the player but not crazy about the term. With that being said maybe PE can help out in 3v3 with his skating and speed and possibly also in shootouts with his reach. We left a decent amount of points on the table last year in these categories.

Improved coaching and a better power play would do wonders in the standings with this team.

scott99

May 13, 2005
There’s a good chance Holmstrom starts in the AHL while they squeeze as much as they can out of Gauthier and Kuhlmann.
Gauthier intrigues me, he’s similar to Engvall in that he has good size and speed. Also, just seems like he needs a chance to play more minutes. He was a sniper in juniors (his draft year) and then had two 25+ goal seasons in the AHL, so he certainly has some talent, just hasn’t put it all together yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad