Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers 2/14/13 - "The Lincoln Tunnel"

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone explain to me why Torts wouldn't put Hank in the shootout? There's enough time for him to stretch. I understand he'd still be cold. However a cold Lundqvist is infinitely better than Biron in the shootout. I really hope it's not for some BS reasons like Torts doesn't want to upset him or something.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Weren't they absolutely terrible coming out of the gate last year too?
We're not terrible nor were we last year. However, the intensity was there more last year than right now, and even so I expect it to still be here. It's infuriating that a team with a great goalie and great defense keeps blowing these leads. Not panicking, just trying to get my point across.

They were 2 points ahead of where we are now. At this point they were in the midst of a 7 game winning streak. If this team wakes the **** up they should go on a run. They have an easy schedule. Though the Isles were one of the easiest teams in this stretch. Really disappointing to blow this game.

Right, exactly. And a 2 goal lead makes it even more frustrating. There's a break in the schedule but we shouldn't stop playing after 20 minutes (tonight) or after 50 (Boston). 60 minute efforts and I'm sure we won't be talking about blown leads.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Can someone explain to me why Torts wouldn't put Hank in the shootout? There's enough time for him to stretch. I understand he'd still be cold. However a cold Lundqvist is infinitely better than Biron in the shootout. I really hope it's not for some BS reasons like Torts doesn't want to upset him or something.

I am sure the reason as the same as why baseball managers don't use their closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road. The typical reason is basically "it's just not something you do"

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
A team can't expect to win a hockey game after coming out flat and uninspired in the beginning of the 2nd period.

They dominated the entire 1st period, was up 2-0 and should've continued to apply pressure right out of the gate and bury them.

It has been said before: we lack a "killer instinct". The players should've been like dogs on raw meat and forechecking hard to close out the game.

And the PP must be fixed. If we had an semblance of a mid-range PP (15-20th place), we would actually gain momentum and potentially score a goal. Instead, it sucks the life out of the team, the building and we get scored on.

This was the same thing that got us in trouble against Boston: they are up 3-1 with a few minutes left to go int he game and instead of finishing the game by attempting to score on the empty net, they are collapsing in the zone. Boston puts on the pressure and scores 2 goals to tie it.

We need that "killer instinct". This, along with the embarrassment of a PP, is why we lost tonight and almost lost in Boston.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I am sure the reason as the same as why baseball managers don't use their closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road. The typical reason is basically "it's just not something you do"

Ah, that's right up there with the idiocy of "you don't lose your job due to injury". Coaches have one ****ing job, to win games. They're more worried about the feelings of multimillionaires. No one in the business world cares about the feelings of a 30k player and fire them if it means improving the business.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Ah, that's right up there with the idiocy of "you don't lose your job due to injury". Coaches have one ****ing job, to win games. They're more worried about the feelings of multimillionaires. No one in the business world cares about the feelings of a 30k player and fire them if it means improving the business.

Would you say it's a good idea to pull Biron with 2 mins left in OT and the Isles on a PP? That's the same logic that you're using. It doesn't make sense to put a cold goalie into a shootout. No matter how much better at it Lundqvist is than Biron. It just doesn't make sense, not now, not ever.

Kershaw

I'd take my chances with a goalie that played 65 minutes and has a read on the shooters rather than one who was on the bench and hadn't practiced since warmups.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Where did I say elite? I'm talking about a 2nd Line Center that could "slum it" on the 3rd line when Stepan is going good, or give another look for the 1st line when Richards is dropping blind passes like Mario Kart banana peels. They're not giving those players away, but that's where I'd be looking before I'd look at another defenseman.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL

A head coach's job is quite a melange of duties. If he knows that Marty is gonna be a ***** and whine all season because he pulled him for Hank in the Isles game, he has to leave him in to fail on his own. It's sorta like being a parent and a manager together.

That said, I'm pretty sure I remember Renney pulling Weekes or whoever for Hank right before the shootout, and I was at the game... so it would be here in Tampa. It was 2005-ish... so it does happen.

Unless I had too much to drink and don't remember it correctly. Which is certainly a possibility.

rick063092

Nov 16, 2008
At least John Amirante is back....and almost as bad as our powerplay is, the 2013 NY Rangers calendar which was given away tonight is even worse..Not one Ranger pictured, above almost every month is an add for Foxwoods..can't make it up...

SupersonicMonkey*

Lol. So true.

Its: "tradition"!

Forget logic!

SupersonicMonkey*

A head coach's job is quite a melange of duties. If he knows that Marty is gonna be a ***** and whine all season because he pulled him for Hank in the Isles game, he has to leave him in to fail on his own. It's sorta like being a parent and a manager together.

That said, I'm pretty sure I remember Renney pulling Weekes or whoever for Hank right before the shootout, and I was at the game... so it would be here in Tampa. It was 2005-ish... so it does happen.

Unless I had too much to drink and don't remember it correctly. Which is certainly a possibility.

Don't think it was the alcohol. I vaguely recall something like that, as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
None of you guys can convince me that even a cold Lundqvist is not infinitely better than Biron. Seriously, if you shoot 5 hole on him it's a guaranteed goal. Also, if he *****es, so what? These people are adults.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
None of you guys can convince me that even a cold Lundqvist is not infinitely better than Biron. Seriously, if you shoot 5 hole on him it's a guaranteed goal. Also, if he *****es, so what? These people are adults.

Thing is. If Torts put Hank in for the SO and we lost. People would be ******** all over hank right now. It's just about letting whats is done be

done. Biron started and played the full game, leave him in to win it or lose it. We also could have scored goals in the SO and won the game and

made up for Biron's God awful **** fest of a goal allowed but we didn't. Now we move to the next game.

Last edited:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I think the Rangers actually faced a cold goalie in the shootout during the 2005-06 season, and he ended up getting injured. Against Buffalo or Ottawa maybe? I can't remember.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the Rangers actually faced a cold goalie in the shootout during the 2005-06 season, and he ended up getting injured. Against Buffalo or Ottawa maybe? I can't remember.

I think Miller got injured and Biron went in for Buffalo. The Rangers scored on all 3 attempts. If it was Biron, it has more to do with the fact that he sucks. If I remember correctly all 3 were nice attempts though, not 5 holes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, I bumped the Hagelin thread. How about some love for an amazing player? Can be either here or there. I feel like he's not getting enough love.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Just got in from the game, what a pleasure it was to watch Hagelin tonight, guy was all over the place. Biron had some big saves, a softie, and no chance in the SO, don't really blame him for the loss.

Nice game by Boyle, Richards was horrendous, and I know they scored on a power play, but that continues to be terrible.

Really thought Nash would bury the winner in the 3rd or in ot, but never came, oh well. Long wait until Sunday for the next game.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
A lot of you guys are asking for too much. Seriously.

Did you forget that there was a lockout?

Did you forget that there was basically no camp?

Take a look around the league -- almost everybody is slumping individually. Giroux, Iginla, etc.

These guys wont hit midseason form until right before the playoffs.

They've had a really tough schedule to start the season. Good defensive teams.

I'll wait until the postseason until I burn Richards at the stake. And that's only if he warrants it.

And Boyle getting 17 mins of ice time -- OT or not -- is just a sad joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad