Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers 2/14/13 - "The Lincoln Tunnel"

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
HUGE momentum swings are pretty standard for these games. You say disappointing. I say I wouldn't expect any different.

The closest thing I can think of was the St. Louis-Detroit game the other day, but I can't remember a game like this, with this many swings. That game had 1 swing. This one had about 4 (even the friggin 5 minute OT was like that). I was watching an old game recently (G-d knows why they showed it on MSG) and the Isles won 7-3 or 7-4. The Rangers were playing really well early. However, this was swing after swing. Also we led this game 2-0 that game was tied. Also, that game was in the Rangers favor for like 5 minutes, not 15, big difference. I have to give the team credit for taking control of the game in the 3rd though. That second though as bad as we've played in years.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The closest thing I can think of was the St. Louis-Detroit game the other game, but I can't remember a game like this, with this many swings. That game had 1 swing. This one had about 4 (even the friggin 5 minute OT was like that). I was watching an old game recently (G-d knows why they showed it on MSG) and the Isles won 7-3 or 7-4. The Rangers were playing really well early. However, this was swing after swing. Also we led this game 2-0 that game was tied. Also, that game was in the Rangers favor for like 5 minutes, not 15, big difference. I have to give the team credit for taking control of the game in the 3rd though. That second though as bad as we've played in years.

Holy hell. Your adjective use is horrible.

There have been plenty of Rangers/Isles games like this. There have been plenty with more frequent swings at times and less. Each game is it's own particular level of chaos, which is why the only thing that should be surprising (and potentially disappointing or good) is when there is none like we saw last week.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can't win em all, still got 7 points in 4 games, and players have severely stepped up their game. No need to pop a vein people.

Can't win 'em all?

Up by 2 after 1 against a joke team? You really should win all of those.

Until the Rangers franchise gets it through their skulls that they're nothing special and they actually have to show up at the rink to succeed, they'll continue to be the toilet of pretty much the whole league.

I hate losses like these because thinking we only had to show up for 10 minutes against the Islanders reflects the pompous, self-promoting attitude of the franchise about "tradition" that I can't ****ing stand to begin with.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Holy hell. Your adjective use is horrible.

There have been plenty of Rangers/Isles games like this. There have been plenty with more frequent swings at times and less. Each game is it's own particular level of chaos, which is why the only thing that should be surprising (and potentially disappointing or good) is when there is none like we saw last week.

I quickly through that post. I made some typos. However, I think I used 2 adjectives in the whole post. What adjective do you object to, "old" in "old game" or "bad" as in "bad period"? Would you prefer poor period? I think both are grammatically correct. Or are you disagreeing? If so with what, was it a new game or a good period? Seriously, I might have missed another adjective or 2, please enlighten me.

GusTheo

Sep 14, 2011
Isles fan coming in peace here.

Just wanted to say, both teams get payed to play you know? Like I saw a lot of Islanders fan *****ing and moaning about how they started the game, but at the end of the day, the Rangers just came out and outplayed them, nothing more nothing less.

In the 2nd period, the Isles (losers of 5 straight) came out desperate, and deservedly so. They were a desperate team who was feeling the pressure and they responded.

I agree with Tawnos about the not being able to take much from these games. They're usually back and fourth type games. Not for nothing, these are the types of games that the Rangers usually win because Hank stands on his head per usual. The fact that the Rangers got a point in a game that the backup started should be gravy really. Obviously it sucks to blow a 2 goal lead, but it is what it is.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
"That powerplay sucked the life out of the team and the building":laugh:

POTG: Hagelin
Good: Nash&Gaborik&Boyle
Bad: The non 5 minutes call on Hagelin when he destroyed Tavares, haven't seen a hit like that since Avery almost killed Jagr...:sarcasm:
Redden: Richards, Was he trying to win some kind of Giveaway-award?

HM: Gilroy

bumrusherer

Nov 17, 2007
Like everyone, just really impressed with Hagelin. That quickness in changing direction to go with his direct style makes him pretty tough to deal with if you are a D-Man...I would have thought.

Tough game to lose but the game seemed quite even for the most part. You'd like to pull away from them but you have to give credit to how they played from the 2nd period on.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
Isles fan coming in peace here.

Just wanted to say, both teams get payed to play you know? Like I saw a lot of Islanders fan *****ing and moaning about how they started the game, but at the end of the day, the Rangers just came out and outplayed them, nothing more nothing less.

In the 2nd period, the Isles (losers of 5 straight) came out desperate, and deservedly so. They were a desperate team who was feeling the pressure and they responded.

I agree with Tawnos about the not being able to take much from these games. They're usually back and fourth type games. Not for nothing, these are the types of games that the Rangers usually win because Hank stands on his head per usual. The fact that the Rangers got a point in a game that the backup started should be gravy really. Obviously it sucks to blow a 2 goal lead, but it is what it is.

I really hope you're not going to loose the next 5. Good luck. :sarcasm:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Like everyone, just really impressed with Hagelin. That quickness in changing direction to go with his direct style makes him pretty tough to deal with if you are a D-Man...I would have thought.

Tough game to lose but the game seemed quite even for the most part. You'd like to pull away from them but you have to give credit to how they played from the 2nd period on.

It was even if the same 1 99 1 99 1 99 is the same as 50 50 50 50 50 50. On average it was even, but the entire game was made of spurts when one team dominated the other. I can't think of a 2 minute stretch when the game was even.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Biron has those moments when he can't stop the puck. The Rangers got a point. Could have had two. Could have had none. The Rangers have 6 games remaining this month. Home for Caps and MTL. Away at Ottawa and MTL. Home for Winnipeg and TB. Biron will get a start in there. At MTL. Lundqvist really struggles in that building. 12 points on the table. Get 10 of them. Biron looked overmatched in the shootout.

Richards needs a B12 injection. The Rangers are off today. Richy needs to get his energy back. Gaborik doesn't look comfortable on the left side. They need to get Kreider back in the lineup. Miller's SPC kicks in with his 6th game played. He did not play much last night. The Whale have 3 games this weekend. Let him play some good minutes and bring him back up. Kreider and Miller bring more speed than the Rangers showed last night when Kreider was scratched and Miller played less than 10 minutes. Miller played center at the USNDT in Ann Arbor. The Rangers like him in the middle. Miller played mostly the wing growing up but he did play in the middle. Miller is a better fit in the middle for the Rangers.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What an ugly, disappointing result for us. Throwing away points is going to bite us in the ass during this truncated season. Guys need to step it the **** up and stop taking half-periods off.

Vickers8

Hank plays we win 3-1, there is no shootout, you could drive a dump truck thru his 5 hole...ugly

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Paging Brad Richards, paging Brad Richards.

Man, he had a ton of giveaways last night. I don't blame Torts for benching him at all. He was terrible.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Hank plays we win 3-1, there is no shootout, you could drive a dump truck thru his 5 hole...ugly

You know hank. Can't catch a puck with his glove hand right ? Did u happen to see the glove saves Marty made in this game ? Shoot out yea he sucked but u did notice we didn't score in the s/o either right ?

Realize

Hm. Very disappointing 2nd period.

The first 10 Minutes was lots of fun to watch - especially the 9 - 0 shots in that time :D

Hagelin was great to see out there - as in the last two games, too.
I really wanted to throw away my LCD after that 3rd goal from NYI was made.

*** Hagelin
** Gaborik
* Lundqvist (for sure!)

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
What are your guys thoughts on Richards? Coming from a Flyers fan, I was never really a big fan of his and although he was a need for you guys at the time, I didn't think he was worth that contract. He certainly isn't washed up by any means but I think he is done trending up. I believe he still has the ability to be a great 2nd line center or bottom tier 1st line center in this league because he will be playing with 1 or 2 star wingers. Were you satisfied with his play last year and what do you see from him in the future?

*Not trying to bash the Rangers, I am a big fan of several of your players

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
What are your guys thoughts on Richards? Coming from a Flyers fan, I was never really a big fan of his and although he was a need for you guys at the time, I didn't think he was worth that contract. He certainly isn't washed up by any means but I think he is done trending up. I believe he still has the ability to be a great 2nd line center or bottom tier 1st line center in this league because he will be playing with 1 or 2 star wingers. Were you satisfied with his play last year and what do you see from him in the future?

*Not trying to bash the Rangers, I am a big fan of several of your players

I was satisfied (nothing more nothing less) last year and so far this year one has to be disappointed. He has until the summer of 2014. If his play doesn't improve quite a bit again until then, I'd guess he will be bought out as his contract is indeed horrible for the later years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00