Islanders' Lamoriello wants new coach in place by next week

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wow this is crazy. Trotz being hired by the islanders would be a huge statement by Lou and would bring even more credibility and stability to the islanders.

Any word of Trotz is retiring?

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wow this is crazy. Trotz being hired by the islanders would be a huge statement by Lou and would bring even more credibility and stability to the islanders.

Any word of Trotz is retiring?

At 55, I can't imagine he would retire. The other option would be to work as a GM. But without MGT experience, not very likely. I think he's primed for a big contact for 5 years until he is 60. That would be a good golden parachute to go out on. If Lou had a Coach in mind, and now Trotz is available. The equation could change quick here. If Lou still hires a coach this week and it is Trotz. Then I would say umm, this is so Lou like. lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not trying to be a jerk at all.

You think the Isles are ready to win in the next few years?

If I had to make a list of stuff Islanders need

1) Resign Tavares
2) Legit coach for a change
3) Get a top end defenseman
4) Find a passable goalie

I would argue 1, 2 and 4 are fairly easy, 3 not so much(but possible)

Reactions: SI90 and Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
"I just want to come into Islander threads to post what a group of losers your team is and guarantee they won't win in the next few years. Why on earth would you call me a jerk?"

I have never posted in the Isles thread in 10 years here. This is a main board thread and I am sorry if I offended, it wasn't my intent.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
"I just want to come into Islander threads to post what a group of losers your team is and guarantee they won't win in the next few years. Why on earth would you call me a jerk?"
' I just want to play victim and not actually provide counter points telling everyone why the Isles will be better the next few years"

Reactions: HighNote and Kelly

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Catch-22 for Lamoriello and the Isles:

Tavares might be be tempted to wait on signing until he's sure a quality staff is in place.

The hottest coaches like Trotz might prefer to see what happens with Tavares before committing to a struggling organization like the Islanders.

There are of course plenty of extremely qualified coaches who would be up for any challenge, Tavares or not.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Yes.
Catch-22 for Lamoriello and the Isles:

Tavares might be be tempted to wait on signing until he's sure a quality staff is in place.

The hottest coaches like Trotz might prefer to see what happens with Tavares before committing to a struggling organization like the Islanders.

There are of course plenty of extremely qualified coaches who would be up for any challenge, Tavares or not.
Lou was faced with the same scenario and chose to join.

Trots will have the same scenario yes but will be compensated regardless and still have a team capable of winning during his contract.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Lou joining them was a lot easier given that he wanted complete control and not remain in Toronto as a Senior Advisor. So it's a completely different scenario for him.

I agree, it’s easier for him than Trotz but they both face the scenario.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Why can't they? This is the essence of the new NHL. Teams miss the playoffs one year, and they make it the next season. Some teams make it to the Finals in their first year in the NHL. Anything can happen with the right moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad