Islanders' Lamoriello wants new coach in place by next week

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Are they waiting until they sign Tavares to hire someone? That has to be a big factor for candidates; the Isles are an awful team without him. Only the most desperate coaches would take that job if he’s not there.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Haven't heard much out there, the usual suspects typically. We should hear something shortly though, seems like Lou likes announcing things on Tuesdays.

Dubas said on Saturday that no team has contacted the leafs about keefe

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think there will be an announcement this week. Latest next week. It was reported Lou wanted someone named this week. We are probably going to hear something soon. I can equally see Lou going for the experienced coach, as well as a rookie coach here. Who ever it is, it will be an interesting hire.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Tuesdays were always Lousdays in NJ :laugh: but he keeps things close to the vest so who knows if we'll really hear anything this week. It would make some sense given the draft and having that voice in the draft room also.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Hopefully Dallas Eakins can finally get another shot. He would turn Tavares into the next Gretzky.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just speculating here. But I have to think Alain Viganault and Rick Bowness being both available will be high on the list of Head Coach and Assistant Coaching candidates. They were both part of the Vancouver Stanley cup finalists team. So that point is certainly worth mentioning. DJ Smith seems to be the leading candidate from a rookie coaching persepective. Stevens also has had his share of ink, though to me it may be more as an Assistant. Other surprises may be Therrien. Now that Tippett is off the radar, and that Trotz has also indicated he would be open to returning to Washington.

Edit: Trotz has stepped down as Coach of Washington. He is free to pursue the Islanders job if he wants it and or Lou offers it to him.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Don Cherry? Wouldn't that be hilarious. As an Isles fan, I expect something to go in an entirely bonkers direction.

So who are the Lou-sual suspects....

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Scott Stevens, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, John Madden...

I would think that pulling in one of the Sutter Brothers and POSSIBLY "Ted Nolan" is somewhere in the discussion. I find the Sutter's have a knack for coaching and even though we hired Nolan before, he was NEVER given a fair shot. The way he turned a nobody eastern European team like Latvia to give Canada a run for their money at the Olympics is damn impressive.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Scott Stevens, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson, John Madden...

Is Lemaire out of his contract with the Leafs?
Plus while with them, he stated openly, that he'll only be with the team at times.
He really wanted to stay in Florida.
Lemaire+Smith, didn't do a great deal with their D.

I don't think he's in the cards.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Lou’s more close to the the best than Garth. There haven’t even been leaks on guys who have potentially interviewed for the job. Unless Lou didn’t do any interviews and he’s just going to tell the next coach that they’re the coach and don’t have a say lol

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Can Cherry answer to someone younger than himself?
Can you imagine him drawing up strategy and trying to communicate it to his players in intelligible sentences? I'd pay good money to see that happen. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

This is a major surprise from Trotz comments at the parade. But it looks like he is a major candidate to land here in NY now.

This was hinted by John Shannon earlier this morning

Got to ask, did Lou convince Trotz out of not returning to Washington and do the Isles have the money to lure him to be their coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad