Islanders' Lamoriello wants new coach in place by next week

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm guessing Lou already had someone in mind when Weight was fired. The NHL season is over, and the AHL season will be over soon too. Will he go NHL experienced or will he go with a Coach new to the NHL? Lou has hired a NHL experienced Burns and a non NHL experienced Coach Deboer both to great success before. This one will be interesting.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
There are a lot of good choices out there at the moment, Trotz would be at the top of my list. He might go for Keefe, but I think teams might want to see Keefe at an assistant level before he gets a full time gig.

Trotz has solidified his Hall of Fame career with this cup win, he should be a top priority.

Either way, I think Lou makes the right choice.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I imagine Scott Stevens will be part of the staff, whether a head or assistant coach.

Might be Scotty's time to shine as a head coach.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes. He never actually played for them but it would make forna nice “full circle” story. Smith is a great motivator.

I think Smith would be at the top of the list for coaches new to the NHL. He has NHL Assistant Exp under Babcock. and was successful in the OHL winning the memorial cup as a Head Coach. He is the top first time NHL coaches out there that I can think of. The Isles connection is apro pos too. But with Lou, it can be any number of people. I think we will see him continue to add pieces to the Mgt team on the Isles. When it is all said and done. The Isles front office will have an extreme culture change.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
No doubt he wants his head-coach in before Tavares hits the UFA market.

You need the direction of the organization clear for Tavares to give him incentive to stay.

Whoever this coach is, they'll be tasked to also help keep a top 5, franchise center in the organization.

Hope it works out for them as well. Don't want to see a player of his magnitude leave the organization for nothing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's all well and good to rebuild the front office before JT hits free agency, but becoming a competent organization doesn't seem to be the most salient selling point for a guy looking to leave.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm patiently waiting for TWS to tell us that Babcock is nothing without DJ Smith.

Reactions: LyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad