Injury Report: Islanders Injuries (Latest: Grabo to IR, the Mallrat called up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
You ask that every time someone complains about this. Obviously people care! We invest an inordinate time in the irrational act of watching sports. It's totally normal to want to know what injuries guys on the team suffered, a possible time-table for their return, etc. In addition, just as a human being, it's reasonable to be invested in whether or not teams are handling concussions properly given what we now know the potential costs to be. We don't all view these guys as replaceable laundry.

So, you can deduct from replacing 'upper body injury' with 'concussion' that a team is handling concussions properly? Ok...

It's obvious the guy has a concussion. I just don't understand the desire for fans to KNOW every finite detail. He's out with an injury. Ok, great.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
So, you can deduct from replacing 'upper body injury' with 'concussion' that a team is handling concussions properly? Ok...

It's obvious the guy has a concussion. I just don't understand the desire for fans to KNOW every finite detail. He's out with an injury. Ok, great.

Yeah I really don't get why people need to know what the injury is. He's out for how ever long he's out. That's all that really matters.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

because it's not always obvious. like, now we know what okposo's injury is -- but it shouldn't have taken a week to find out it was a detached retina. again, i don't need to know, but why should the islanders be the only organization that leaves their fans completely in the dark?

maybe i'd have a different outlook if NYI didn't have such a terrible track record with fan-friendliness. When they refuse to even let us know something like how long our coach is under contract for -- something fans of the other 121 major pro sports teams know -- stuff like this is going to bother more than it would otherwise.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
but why should the islanders be the only organization that leaves their fans completely in the dark?

QUOTE]

They are not. Every team in the NHL does it. It's common practice now and part of the CBA.

That's obviously not the case; just two seconds ago I saw the Sens announce Lehner has a concussion. Not every team dicks around their fans just because they can.

And, like I said, it's more than injuries. If it was just injuries, whatever. But we're bizarrely secretive about everything. It's like the Belichick Patriots, except no track record to back it up.

onesinceforty

Jun 24, 2006
As a follow up to Nystrom's hit, the Coliseum Ice was suspended 4 games for a hit to the head by the NHL office of player safety today. Nystrom cleared.

The ice was where he was hurt, I don't think the shoulder even touched his head.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
That's obviously not the case; just two seconds ago I saw the Sens announce Lehner has a concussion. Not every team (*****. Edit) around their fans just because they can.

And, like I said, it's more than injuries. If it was just injuries, whatever. But we're bizarrely secretive about everything. It's like the Belichick Patriots, except no track record to back it up.

Most injury reports are upper body or lower body, at times teams will go into detail, more often than not they won't. Also this was four days ater it happened, so it wasn't like they announced it right away. He was out Wed with "an upper body injury"

Last edited by a moderator:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
That's obviously not the case; just two seconds ago I saw the Sens announce Lehner has a concussion. Not every team (*****, Edit) around their fans just because they can.

Who cares? there's nothing we can do about it. He's injured and put on IR. They do what they think needs to be done to replace him. Us knowing what the injury is won't change that. Besides, anyone that saw the hit knows what the injury is. I don't get why fans feel they have the right to know exactly what the injury is.

Last edited by a moderator:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's obviously not the case; just two seconds ago I saw the Sens announce Lehner has a concussion. Not every team dicks around their fans just because they can.

Bein tight-lipped about injuries may pay off in ways that are not immediately evident. For instance the Isles have clearly stashed Boulton (and others) on IR this year. If your policy is that you never say anything about injuries, it's not as sketchy when you don't explain how your 15th Fwd left a morning skate early one day and remains on IR for 2 months when the reality is is that there was probably no roster spot for him.

If it helps manage the roster, the team will tolerate angry fans like yourself.

PhoenixDog

Flamer for Life !!!
Aug 12, 2006
Calgary, AB
Any update on Okposo? is he making progress? mid march (best case) would mean he misses another 12gms and end of march (worst case) he misses 19gms?

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Any update on Okposo? is he making progress? mid march (best case) would mean he misses another 12gms and end of march (worst case) he misses 19gms?

I mean he has been out for nearly a month. All-star game was around this time last month so you would think he is hopefully progressing.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Capuano has said multiple times that they want to keep Vis rested. I do believe him, but Strait can't be at the top of our ice time if he plays.

At the beginning of the year, there was a consensus that we'd be lucky to get 50 games out of Vis, so I'm okay with him getting nights off at this point in the season.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I mean he has been out for nearly a month. All-star game was around this time last month so you would think he is hopefully progressing.

I'm starting to get concerned we haven't heard any reports of him at least skating with the team, given that it's usually a bit of a process to get a guy re-acclimated after a layoff like this.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Per Staple:

Great news! Except for the part on Grabo, but with Okposo coming back and hopefully Cizikas soon, we can do okay without him until he is ready.

Still probably puts him back around mid-March, which is fine. If nothing else, its good to hear that he seems to be on the timetable (or ahead of it) with no setbacks. I'm guessing he's still a couple of weeks away from taking contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad