Speculation: Islanders incoming cap crunch

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
honestly don't think the aisles will have a problem moving relative dead contract weight, nothing is a super albatross besides ladd

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Get rid of parise contract? Haha Minnesota doesn't need to.

It was & is very much a fact Minnesota wasn't doing deal without a 1sr. Minnesota doesn't need to get rid of Parise.

to be honest, you're right they don't NEED to dump Parise, but they certainly aren't going anywhere with him on the roster and for the duration of his deal.

it's just more of clearing him out to change the guard and have the money to lure in a new impact player whether that's via trade or FA

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have not seen 1 NYI fan post suggesting Leddy ($5.5m), would return a top prospect. i have read suggestions saying a 2nd & 3rd or 2 second rounders.
I think LHD Leddy or RHD Boychuk are the most likely to go.

Cizikas ( $3.5m) is a ufa next summer.
Clutterbuck & Uncle's Leo each have 2 yrs/ $7m left and would require a sweetner to move.
Bailey ($5m) is having a strong postseason, which can only help if the isles do decide to try and move him.
Ladd ($5.5m), spent much of the season riding the buses in Bridgeport. Now that the July 2020 signing bonuses have been paid, Ladd has 3 yrs/$9m in actual cash left. Would Ladd prefer riding the ahl buses for the next 3 yrs or LTIR? Will Lou offer a high pick to a cap fl team to take Ladd or Boychuk's ($5.5m-$6m) cap hit?
I see plenty of wiggle room to free up salary.

"

Boychuk is a cap dump nobody is touching unless you attach a 1st
Many teams do not have the space to just acquire Leddy. It’s more likely for a player coming back and thus not getting a 2nd+ 3-5 round pick. That’s not factoring in the ED where a team isn’t going to trade you a 2nd+ on a player they will expose in the ED.

Cluster#$&@ and Leo don’t carry much interest given their salaries.
Ladd is the immovable object.

The issue with Bailey isn’t now. Had he had just 2 yrs left he’d have good value. The problem is the term left.

The problem is having a flat cap for at least 2 years if not more.

Remember nearly half the league after just filling up their roster by resigning RFAs foraround QO and a few of them at a low expected amount like Barzal on a 2-3 yr bridge at $6M Will be at or over the cap. Another group wont have the cap space to take on $5M cap hit for 2 yrs. other teams are in the same boat in moving salaries. This UFA class..only about 5 players get paid well. Many others get cut in pay.

I have a feeling this offseason there will be a large number of buy outs.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Leddy will not require a sweetener to deal. On the contrary, he will be worth a 2nd rounder to most teams looking for a mobile D, maybe even more with the playoffs he is having and the further the Isles go his value might increase. His contract is not a liability as he will not diminish much in those two years he has left.

Islanders also has Boychuck to trade. He may be old but his real salary is much lower than his cap hit. That makes him attractive to teams looking to reach the floor on the cheap and will provide veteran leadership. Could be had for a low pick.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
to be honest, you're right they don't NEED to dump Parise, but they certainly aren't going anywhere with him on the roster and for the duration of his deal.

it's just more of clearing him out to change the guard and have the money to lure in a new impact player whether that's via trade or FA

Wild have 15 to 20 mil alone this summer; & more next year parise can still get 25 to 30 goals per year & wild aren't rebuilding.

You saying wild aren't going anywhere is dead wrong. Wild were one of the top teams in wins during 2nd half of season before shutdown & one of the top teams 5 & 5

Wild also didn't keep Spurgeon to rebuild. So you are wrong on that. Islanders will need to give up a 1st.

Reactions: Guttersniped

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Wild have 15 to 20 mil alone this summer; & more next year parise can still get 25 to 30 goals per year & wild aren't rebuilding.

You saying wild aren't going anywhere is dead wrong. Wild were one of the top teams in wins during 2nd half of season before shutdown & one of the top teams 5 & 5

Wild also didn't keep Spurgeon to rebuild. So you are wrong on that. Islanders will need to give up a 1st.
if you really think Minnesota is doing anything beyond a single playoff series win in the next 2-3 years I have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you

Vegas isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Colorado is a couple moves away from being a powerhouse. Vancouver looks like this decades Blackhawks from 10 years ago. and seriously, the king's are ripe to breakout in about three years. the blues also are just going to be a b*tch to deal with the next few years even if they lose pietrangelo.

Nashville, Calgary, Chicago, Edmonton are unknowns the next few years because they could go either way. Dallas I think trails off because I love their youth but yikes radulov, Seguin, benn is that top line with a lot of money and they aren't getting any younger. Winnipeg I just don't think ever goes anywhere until that management company fully let's them fly

Minnesota is so far behind the eight ball right now, Fletcher completely handcuffed them long term with win now moves

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
if you really think Minnesota is doing anything beyond a single playoff series win in the next 2-3 years I have oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you

Vegas isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Colorado is a couple moves away from being a powerhouse. Vancouver looks like this decades Blackhawks from 10 years ago. and seriously, the king's are ripe to breakout in about three years. the blues also are just going to be a b*tch to deal with the next few years even if they lose pietrangelo.

Nashville, Calgary, Chicago, Edmonton are unknowns the next few years because they could go either way. Dallas I think trails off because I love their youth but yikes radulov, Seguin, benn is that top line with a lot of money and they aren't getting any younger. Winnipeg I just don't think ever goes anywhere until that management company fully let's them fly

Minnesota is so far behind the eight ball right now, Fletcher completely handcuffed them long term with win now moves

Do you even know anything about current wild team? I don't think you do .Minnesota prospect pool is top 15 or better in the NHL. So a hawks fan thinking they know anything about wild is blatantly false

Minnesota wild owner will never be okay with rebuilding, just won't happen. Minnesota isn't scared of Vancouver; or Edmonton especially. Let's get real.

Vegas isn't as scary as they look. Teams like wild play them good & beat them because of Foligno and Greenway. Vegas plays a type of game where if you have an enforcer, you cause Problems for Vegas. Since coming into the league, Minnesota has been a thorn on Vegas side

Edmonton is / has 3 or 4 good players on offense. They couldn't even beat a bad Chicago team

Minnesota with Fiala, Kaprizov, Parise still being able to score 25 goals & about 50 points . Minnesota depth is way better than Vancouver & especially Edmonton; which wild Sweeped in regular season

Minnesota problem are the culture of the lockerroom , lack of Goalies & C's. If wild can figure this out, wild will be a problem.

While Chuck Fletcher had his fault; wild long term contracts are Zack Parise, Ryan suter, Jared Spurgeon, Matt Dumba, & Zuccarello.

Fenton / along with Minnesota wild signed Zuccarello. Guerin signed Spurgeon. Wild don't have cap or long term contracts problems; that isn't born in reality.

Kaprizov, Fiala
Parise( 5 years: technically 2 because cap hit goes to 2mil, 1mil & 1mil,) Zuccarello
Foligno (Getting resigned) Luke kunin
Jordan Greenway, & Ryan Hartman

D;Ryan Suter; 5 years left: technically 2 or 3 years left because last 2 or 3 he earns only 2mil, 1mil, & 1mil

Spurgeon; Guerin signed him. New contract start this year

Dumba 2-3 years left

Dubnyk: 1 year left; not returning
Rask: buyout is only 1. 3 mil against the cap

So Minnesota cap isn't an issue

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Boychuk is a cap dump nobody is touching unless you attach a 1st
Many teams do not have the space to just acquire Leddy. It’s more likely for a player coming back and thus not getting a 2nd+ 3-5 round pick. That’s not factoring in the ED where a team isn’t going to trade you a 2nd+ on a player they will expose in the ED.

Cluster#$&@ and Leo don’t carry much interest given their salaries.
Ladd is the immovable object.

The issue with Bailey isn’t now. Had he had just 2 yrs left he’d have good value. The problem is the term left.

The problem is having a flat cap for at least 2 years if not more.

Remember nearly half the league after just filling up their roster by resigning RFAs foraround QO and a few of them at a low expected amount like Barzal on a 2-3 yr bridge at $6M Will be at or over the cap. Another group wont have the cap space to take on $5M cap hit for 2 yrs. other teams are in the same boat in moving salaries. This UFA class..only about 5 players get paid well. Many others get cut in pay.

I have a feeling this offseason there will be a large number of buy outs.

Boychuk is owed a total of $5.2m over the next two season. He's a solid,veteran RHD, who has a rep as a good on ice and locker room leader. I disagree that in a league that highly values RHDs, that the isles will have to attach a first to move Boychuk. I am curious if Boychuk does not draw more interest then the younger LHD Leddy.

I have already posted that to move either Clutterbuck or Uncle Leo's remaining 2 seasons, the isles would have to attach a sweetner.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Then probably salary. I looked at cap friendly. Parise & suter last 3 years called for them to earn 1mil dollars

Those last 3 years are what we now call "cap circumvention", and were added to the end of the contract to reduce the AAV. Without those 3 years added at the end, they'd each have a cap hit of $9.4m.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Boychuk is owed a total of $5.2m over the next two season. He's a solid,veteran RHD, who has a rep as a good on ice and locker room leader. I disagree that in a league that highly values RHDs, that the isles will have to attach a first to move Boychuk. I am curious if Boychuk does not draw more interest then the younger LHD Leddy.

I have already posted that to move either Clutterbuck or Uncle Leo's remaining 2 seasons, the isles would have to attach a sweetner.

Loui Eriksson is owed a total of 5m over the next two seasons. He's a solid, veteran winger capable of playing both sides who has a good rep as a team player.

Get the point? He's 36 years old and has a cap hit of 5m. He has no value and you're deluding yourself if you believe the team can easily move Boychuk.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Loui Eriksson is owed a total of 5m over the next two seasons. He's a solid, veteran winger capable of playing both sides who has a good rep as a team player.

Get the point? He's 36 years old and has a cap hit of 5m. He has no value and you're deluding yourself if you believe the team can easily move Boychuk.
So the league values RHD on the same level as 3rd line winger coming off a 13 pt season?
Seriously?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Curious - why would Barzal ever sign a two year contract? Everyone knows how good he is and what he brings.
Because he knows we will have a few yrs of a flat cap and the isles will have cap space freed up between the expansion draft and several expiring contracts. A short deal for about $6.5/$7m per,then the promise of a bigger deal 2 yrs down the road.
I posted Barzal's comments indicating he is ready to sit down whenever Lou is to get a deal done.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Requiring a sweetener is different than adding a sweetener to move.

Clutterbuck at 50% could be moved. His replacement on roster st $700K save about $1M

On boychuk...it’s still a $6M cap hit that many teams don’t have. Sure he could be moved to rebuilding teams but he has a NTC. A playoff contender doesn’t have that space. You retain 50% on him would make him more tolerable as a bottom pair Dman. Even with retention and taking a contract might give you about $2Zm in space.

There are some teams who are tight on this year cap but room in 21/22. If you wait till season mid point you can retain making him free for 21/22 to new team thrn at reduced cap next year. Thrn you might have some value in return. Thrn Seattle could pick him and retain him to something and get something for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs will explore other options first but if those options fall through... our best offer to help the Islanders with their cap issues is Leddy for Blues 2nd, and two 4th's. We are also going to ask for $1.5M or $1M of retention on Leddy. The retention probably a problem? If so, Habs not desperate for Leddy who we can loose at the expansion draft or he complicates our 2021 off season

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Clutterbuck at 50% could be moved. His replacement on roster st $700K save about $1M

On boychuk...it’s still a $6M cap hit that many teams don’t have. Sure he could be moved to rebuilding teams but he has a NTC. A playoff contender doesn’t have that space. You retain 50% on him would make him more tolerable as a bottom pair Dman. Even with retention and taking a contract might give you about $2Zm in space.

There are some teams who are tight on this year cap but room in 21/22. If you wait till season mid point you can retain making him free for 21/22 to new team thrn at reduced cap next year. Thrn you might have some value in return. Thrn Seattle could pick him and retain him to something and get something for him.
Boychuk's got a partial ntc. 8 team list. I am curious if we read that Lou asks him to expand that 8 team list and if Boychuk is willing to do so.

And I wouldn't be concerned with getting something of value back. Simply freeing up cap space. Boychuk for a 6th would work for me.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

This is key. Boychuck is getting a big bonus payout on July 1st and after that he is owed $1.25 million for a cap hit of $6 million in his final season. You won't come cheaper than that. For a team looking to reach the floor such a deal is a godsend and he won't be hard to move at all. A bottom feeder could easily flip him at the deadline again if they want.

The Islanders probably need to make one roster move to fit under the cap for next season assuming Ladd, Hickey and Koivula are sent to the AHL, but it need not be massive.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is key. Boychuck is getting a big bonus payout on July 1st and after that he is owed $1.25 million for a cap hit of $6 million in his final season. You won't come cheaper than that. For a team looking to reach the floor such a deal is a godsend and he won't be hard to move at all. A bottom feeder could easily flip him at the deadline again if they want.

The Islanders probably need to make one roster move to fit under the cap for next season assuming Ladd, Hickey and Koivula are sent to the AHL, but it need not be massive.

The acquiring team still have to fit $6M in their cap...not his actual salary.

How many teams just needing to reach the floor are there? I think zero after thry resign RFA and promote prospects.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The acquiring team still have to fit $6M in their cap...not his actual salary.

How many teams just needing to reach the floor are there? I think zero after thry resign RFA and promote prospects.

Yup. This idea of teams struggling to reach the cap floor is nonsensical. It’s never really been a thing and never will be a thing. Boychuck clearly has negative value.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad