Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If he goes, I hope Lou slaps the C on Barzal immediately as the first step of the team's new culture. Immediately send a message that it doesn't matter how long you've been here or whether your feelings are hurt, guys who produce are rewarded. No way Barzal regresses, he's already a top five if not top three skater in the league, he's going to get better on even the first line.

Except for maybe Lee, the vets were disappointing and the future of the team depends on the young guys.

I don't ascribe to the theory that the captain has to be the best player. It should be the person who is able to handle the responsibilities that come along with it.

Seriously. Can't believe so many rode that wave for so long. When you get upset when you're simply asked to clarify your source, you're suspect.

Reactions: periferal and dood

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't ascribe to the theory that the captain has to be the best player. It should be the person who is able to handle the responsibilities that come along with it.

I know I am in the minority here but I always believe that people you slap letters on should be the most personable people who have good debating skills. Simple fact is main purpose of players with letters is to go to the refs and try get in their ear to get them to make a few calls your way.

Let's hypothetically say if you have a lazy 3rd liner but the guy has great social skills and can talk his way into and out of many things, why wouldn't you want that guy talking to the refs. The letters need to be moneyballed

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know I am in the minority here but I always believe that people you slap letters on should be the most personable people who have good debating skills. Simple fact is main purpose of players with letters is to go to the refs and try get in their ear to get them to make a few calls your way.

Let's hypothetically say if you have a lazy 3rd liner but the guy has great social skills and can talk his way into and out of many things, why wouldn't you want that guy talking to the refs. The letters need to be moneyballed

There's that aspect, which also means they need to know the rules inside and out, and then the locker room aspect. It needs to be someone who can control the room and get players to buy into things, as well as being able to (a little bit) prevent guys from making poor off ice decisions that could impact the team.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I jokingly say that De Haan getting injured in December and the team tanking did more to drive up his value then anything he could have done on the ice. lol

Teams are smart, they can identify talent when our regime couldn't. CdH is a quality player and is receiving interest as a result, I think many took him for granted.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY

If that "lazy" guy talked himself into that "3rd" line role, you've got a good point! LoL

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think they get onto de Haan’s short list, but ultimately signs somewhere else, and we sign Dan Hamhuis.

Leddy-Boychuk
Hamhuis-Pulock
Toews-Pelech
Mayfield

Reactions: dood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m in such a minority on this but I’d like to bring back Davidson. I think he’s better than Mayfield and even Pelech.

I’d be thrilled if Lou were about to move out some money and maybe swing a trade for a top4 defenseman. We have the ammo, I say we should be looking at that.

Reactions: IODCPiper

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I’d be happy with Hutton. I’d also want to hedge our bets a bit and bring in someone else in addition to him. If we can move Greiss of course.

I know it will cost assets but I still think Howard is a good fit.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Get Varlamov from Colorado (deal based around Nelson would be ideal), sign Hutton to 2-year deal as a super backup, buyout Greiss or find some way to get rid of him.

Varly could be Sorokin's BFF - 'YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT'

Sorokin only goes to COL every year to hang out and fish with Varly. Come to LI !! Plenty of fishing here!!!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
They need to get a goaltender based on who is the best fit, not who knows who.

I'd welcome CDH back on the right deal, unfortunately I think that's probably out the window with 10 teams wooing him. I hope they are looking at guys like Kempny and Holden on top of asking what Carolina would want for Faulk. If they can't upgrade in net big, build a solid defense and go with with plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad