Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sorry if this Murphy report is old news and has been posted already,but
I just came across this Murphy rumor : that the isles and Sens have recently discussed Duchene to LI.

I am wondering about Ottawa's asking price and whether Duchene is open to an extension or wants to test the market

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Sorry if this Murphy report is old news and has been posted already,but
I just came across this Murphy rumor : that the isles and Sens have recently discussed Duchene to LI.

I am wondering about Ottawa's asking price and whether Duchene is open to an extension or wants to test the market

My big worry about Duchene was that before Colorado traded him many of their fans said after he had some type of surgery that hurt his skating big time.

Have you or anybody else hurt that his skating was bad on Ottawa? That was always such a big part of his game.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Don’t think isles get Karlsson but I would 100000x take Ryan back if we get extended Karlsson. Maybe trotz can get him back into 20 goal form who knows but that’s a move you make he is elite elite elite and would do wonders for this team. Make you forget about Johnny Turncoat REAL quick

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I don't want any part of Duchene, Avs weren't that good at the end of his time there. Ottawa got worse with Duchene. I'll pass on Duchene unless we deal MDC.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Leddy-Pulock
Pelech-Boychuk
Hickey-big, safe, solid new guy
Rathgeb
um....just. no.

um no.

Leddy and Pulock are 2 offensive minded guys who have no desire to have defensive responsibility in their own zone. No way they play together, not a chance, and if they do, prepare for another long season of the worst goals against in the league. The only possibility is that Leddy is paired with a smart Defensive defenseman and the same with Pulock, just like Al used to do with his pairings. It would take some kind of mini miracle from Trotz to get these 2 guys to play defensively responsible on the same pairing.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
No fan of Duchene, nor trading for players who are soon to be UFAs... but he will solve our 2C issue.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
My big worry about Duchene was that before Colorado traded him many of their fans said after he had some type of surgery that hurt his skating big time.

Have you or anybody else hurt that his skating was bad on Ottawa? That was always such a big part of his game.

Not sure about his skating specifically. But, He was productive his second half with Ottawa. Some positives...

Historically he scores as well as Tavares 5v5

Excellent on the face-off dot

Left-handed, to Balance Barzal’s Right shot

Insulates Barzal from all the heavy lifting

Reactions: dood

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Not sure about his skating specifically. But, He was productive his second half with Ottawa. Some positives...

Historically he scores as well as Tavares 5v5

Excellent on the face-off dot

Left-handed, to Balance Barzal’s Right shot

Insulates Barzal from all the heavy lifting
Given our need, I'd take Duchene depending upon what we'd need to send the other way.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Given our need, I'd take Duchene depending upon what we'd need to send the other way.

And this can’t be stressed enough. Even though Ottawa is going to look to hit a homerun due to what they surrendered for him. I wouldn’t include any of the first rounders from this year. Absolutely not happening.

I would also want the Isles to be able to discuss an extension... at the very least it sets the parameters of their interest should he not be traded to the Isles but ends up an UFA.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Probably should go in the prospect thread, but more activity here. My son and I are big Islander fans, obviously distraught by the JT news (Judas) as he tore up his 91 jersey while I came close; the fact that mine is signed led me to simply put it out of mind and sight. Anyways, I am getting him a Barzal one of course but also updating his Islander shelf (hockey cards) and need some insight from fans on how you would rank our top 20 prospects. Figure if 4-5 of you could take the time, I would get a pretty clear idea where to rank them. I have a Top 10 basically, let me know where I went wrong, and if you have the time help me fill out my bottom ten:

1. Keiffer BELLOWS (LW)
2. Ilya SOROKIN (G)
3. Oliver WHALSTROM (C)
4. Joshua HO-SANG (RW)
5. Devon TOEWS (D)
6. Linus SODERSTROM (G)
7. Noah DOBSON (D)
8. Michael DAL COLLE (C)
9. Bode WILDE (D)
10. David QUENNIEVILLE (D)

Thanks for the help!

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Probably should go in the prospect thread, but more activity here. My son and I are big Islander fans, obviously distraught by the JT news (Judas) as he tore up his 91 jersey while I came close; the fact that mine is signed led me to simply put it out of mind and sight. Anyways, I am getting him a Barzal one of course but also updating his Islander shelf (hockey cards) and need some insight from fans on how you would rank our top 20 prospects. Figure if 4-5 of you could take the time, I would get a pretty clear idea where to rank them. I have a Top 10 basically, let me know where I went wrong, and if you have the time help me fill out my bottom ten:

1. Keiffer BELLOWS (LW)
2. Ilya SOROKIN (G)
3. Oliver WHALSTROM (C)
4. Joshua HO-SANG (RW)
5. Devon TOEWS (D)
6. Linus SODERSTROM (G)
7. Noah DOBSON (D)
8. Michael DAL COLLE (C)
9. Bode WILDE (D)

Thanks for the help!

I think the top 20 is:

1) Wahlstrom
2) Dobson
3) Sorokin
4) Bellows
5) Wilde
6) Ho-Sang
7) Toews
8) Skarek
9) Iskahkov
10) Soderstrom
11) Salo
12) Aho
13) MVS
13 Miregas
14) Golyshev
15) Koivula
16) Wotherspoon
17) Pivonka
18) Quenville
19) MDC
20) Rathgreb/Jenkins

With 16-20 all very close and long shots to be long term highly productive NHLers though Rathgreb is an interesting FA signing.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

1. Keiffer BELLOWS (LW)
2. Ilya SOROKIN (G)
3. Oliver WHALSTROM (C)
4. Joshua HO-SANG (RW)
5. Devon TOEWS (D)
6. Linus SODERSTROM (G)
7. Noah DOBSON (D)
8. Michael DAL COLLE (C)
9. Bode WILDE (D)

Thanks for the help!
Can probably go in the prospects thread, but no big deal.

What are your criteria? Do you favor NHL readiness, ceiling/floor, or likelihood to make the NHL?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I've been the biggest killer of Duchene on here, and will continue, he has downwardly trended in a Gomezian way, no thanks

As for Tyler Johnson, didn't he peak already,

Both guys will mean a lot of assets.

I think you go to camp with what you have and see if a kid can make the team to put Mayfield in the rafters and if not you stay competitive and make a splash at the deadline.... that is the way it is done except with Garth... All 31 teams are in it right now, so no one is really going to trade off an asset right now.

Reactions: bioman22

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I hate Murphy, not credible.

The forth period note is interesting.
Pretty sure this is the thread that someone posted Staples comment, that the isles are shopping for top 4D and #2C.

Lou would not be doing his job if he did not call and ask about Duchene's availability and cost.

Reactions: dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
um....just. no.

um no.

Leddy and Pulock are 2 offensive minded guys who have no desire to have defensive responsibility in their own zone. No way they play together, not a chance, and if they do, prepare for another long season of the worst goals against in the league. The only possibility is that Leddy is paired with a smart Defensive defenseman and the same with Pulock, just like Al used to do with his pairings. It would take some kind of mini miracle from Trotz to get these 2 guys to play defensively responsible on the same pairing.

Leddy and Pulock are very capable of playing a 200' game. and aside from my opinion that these two are the best at each side, i think that in LL's world, everyone plays defence. i'm not worried about that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been the biggest killer of Duchene on here, and will continue, he has downwardly trended in a Gomezian way, no thanks

Duchene rebounded after a slow start when he first went to Ottawa and ended the season with a very solid 59 points. And that was on an offensively inept team who couldn't score to save their lives. It's also tied for the third best (statistical) season of his career.

He's probably not, and probably never will be, that 70+ point guy he looked like he'd become a few seasons ago. But he's also not exactly "downwardly trending in a Gomezian way". Except for that one 41 point season, he's been a 55-59 point guy pretty much every year.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I

Had not heard about skating issues.

Avs fans have said several times he can be his own worst enemy, gets really down and into funks when he is not producing.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Duchene rebounded after a slow start when he first went to Ottawa and ended the season with a very solid 59 points. And that was on an offensively inept team who couldn't score to save their lives. It's also tied for the third best (statistical) season of his career.

He's probably not, and probably never will be, that 70+ point guy he looked like he'd become a few seasons ago. But he's also not exactly "downwardly trending in a Gomezian way". Except for that one 41 point season, he's been a 55-59 point guy pretty much every year.

But he leaves Colorado and they make the playoffs and push Nashville to the brink goes to Ottawa and they went from being in the top 8 in conference to outside looking in. He is not worth any major assets to bring in here and Ottawa will want that if they traded their first for him. I'll take my chances on Nelson for sure over that.

Reactions: bioman22

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
Agreed. I don't think we should have any part of Duch.

Seems like if we want 25-30 age range, we should focus on what we have. Lee and Ebs, they actually may have peaked. But they also seem like they enjoy and want to be Islanders.

I'm all for Johnson but at basement price le el (salary dump). Truth be told TB probably wont trade him to another in division team anyway. He is a definate upgrade over either using Bailey, AB or Nelly at 2C.

I think you go to camp with what you have and see if a kid can make the team to put Mayfield in the rafters and if not you stay competitive and make a splash at the deadline.... that is the way it is done except with Garth... All 31 teams are in it right now, so no one is really going to trade off an asset right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad