Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Anyone else surprised the isles would be willing to take on Ryan's remaining $29m? He is putting up 30 pt seasons now. His contract is uglier then Ladd's because most of Ladd's salary has been paid.

Maybe Lou feels the benefits of being able to add a generational defenseman offset the negatives of having to carry a cap dump?

Not quite the same, but wouldn't you be okay with adding Lucic to the deal if Edmonton was willing to send McDavid to the Isles?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
But he leaves Colorado and they make the playoffs and push Nashville to the brink goes to Ottawa and they went from being in the top 8 in conference to outside looking in. He is not worth any major assets to bring in here and Ottawa will want that if they traded their first for him. I'll take my chances on Nelson for sure over that.

Attributing a team's success or struggles to a single player is a dangerous game, though. If anything, all that proves is Duchene can't be "the man".

Reminds me a bit of all the hate Kessel got because Toronto sucked with him as their star and how he couldn't be a winner. Two Stanley Cups later -- and two strong playoff performances -- and that's no longer the narrative about Kessel.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Maybe Lou feels the benefits of being able to add a generational defenseman offset the negatives of having to carry a cap dump?

Not quite the same, but wouldn't you be okay with adding Lucic to the deal if Edmonton was willing to send McDavid to the Isles?
I am just surprised Malkin and Ledecky are willing to take on that bad a contract, when they are already stuck with several bad contracts.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I am just surprised Malkin and Ledecky are willing to take on that bad a contract, when they are already stuck with several bad contracts.

Remember there is a second buy-out window, maybe they aren't afraid to have some dead cap? No idea, but whatever worth a reclamation attempt.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Can probably go in the prospects thread, but no big deal.

What are your criteria? Do you favor NHL readiness, ceiling/floor, or likelihood to make the NHL?
I think you have to weigh all of those things, yes? Are our two draft picks really 1-2 on our chart because of their ceiling? I am looking for more of all three things being taken into account

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Probably should go in the prospect thread, but more activity here. My son and I are big Islander fans, obviously distraught by the JT news (Judas) as he tore up his 91 jersey while I came close; the fact that mine is signed led me to simply put it out of mind and sight. Anyways, I am getting him a Barzal one of course but also updating his Islander shelf (hockey cards) and need some insight from fans on how you would rank our top 20 prospects. Figure if 4-5 of you could take the time, I would get a pretty clear idea where to rank them. I have a Top 10 basically, let me know where I went wrong, and if you have the time help me fill out my bottom ten:

1. Keiffer BELLOWS (LW)
2. Ilya SOROKIN (G)
3. Oliver WHALSTROM (C)
4. Joshua HO-SANG (RW)
5. Devon TOEWS (D)
6. Linus SODERSTROM (G)
7. Noah DOBSON (D)
8. Michael DAL COLLE (C)
9. Bode WILDE (D)
10. David QUENNIEVILLE (D)

Thanks for the help!

This is a solid start, if you were willing to wait like a week or two every year we all vote on the top 25 Islander prospects on here.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Based off what? He had a Down year in 16-17, but bounced back to have 59 points on a terrible Ottawa team. If anything he’s been fairly consistent.
He's actually very consistent. His median points per year is about 59. Again, I'd take him depending upon what we would have to give up. I think people see a top three draft pick and think he's a constant let down. And maybe he hasn't lived up to initial expectation. But numbers wise, he would be helpful to the Isles as long as the expectation is 59 points.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
The isles are NOT getting karlson or douchene. Both are ufas next summer. Lou can’t be dumb enough to give up long term assets for a 1 year rental.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The isles are NOT getting karlson or *****ene. Both are ufas next summer. Lou can’t be dumb enough to give up long term assets for a 1 year rental.
For Karlsson, there would need to be an extension in place I would think.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Attributing a team's success or struggles to a single player is a dangerous game, though. If anything, all that proves is Duchene can't be "the man".

Reminds me a bit of all the hate Kessel got because Toronto sucked with him as their star and how he couldn't be a winner. Two Stanley Cups later -- and two strong playoff performances -- and that's no longer the narrative about Kessel.

Well he joined a great team... Duchene joined a final 4 team and made them worse and left the worst team and they made the playoffs, I have to believe that his departure correlates with the surge in McKinnon becoming elite and others stepping up.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Well he joined a great team... Duchene joined a final 4 team and made them worse and left the worst team and they made the playoffs, I have to believe that his departure correlates with the surge in McKinnon becoming elite and others stepping up.

I think one could argue that nobody was expecting Ottawa to be anywhere near as good as they were the year prior though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It could just be locker room stuff. Everyone knew Duchene was going to be traded, it can weigh on a team and really affect things. I wouldn't read too much into it. He's worth a look for cheap, definitely. I'm not ready to pony up prime assets for him though.

He also went into a locker room that had their own issues. That Karlsson stuff must have really impacted things.

Reactions: majormet

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
A trade has to happen...

There are 5 LW; Beau, Ladd, Kom, and MM are not moving...
Lee is a ufa who's value is at it's highest...

Nelson also has to go, for obvious reasons...

The question is what do these 2 guys get back...

I've suggested, based on the rumours out there, that Duchene and Ceci could be interesting...

There's also TJ and Stralman, and Staal and Dumba...

Does Lee, Nelson, a pick, and maybe another player get any of those combos???

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Ottawa was a Cinderella team the previous year, with Karlsson playing at an unreal level and Anderson turning into a Conn Smythe player in the 3rd round versus the Pens. Most folks who actually watched them and saw that roster saw them as a bubble team who probably overachieved.

Again, this notion that they were some sort of powerhouse until Matt "Team Killer" Duchene arrived is based on nothing. It was a bubble team, at best, before he arrived, and combined with all the other drama associated with that organization (hello, Melnyk) it just got worse.

You put Duchene on the Pens, Caps, Lightning, etc. he's not going to suddenly cause them to tank. Yet that's what you're making it sound like he did to the Sens.

You're also wrong about him regressing badly. He had 1 bad year (his 41 point year). That's it. Every other year for the bulk of his career has seen him in the 55-59 point range.

If you don't think he's worth the assets, that's completely fine. But I think you're making him out to be something he's not.

Reactions: beach

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Ottawa was a Cinderella team the previous year, with Karlsson playing at an unreal level and Anderson turning into a Conn Smythe player in the 3rd round versus the Pens. Most folks who actually watched them and saw that roster saw them as a bubble team who probably overachieved.

Again, this notion that they were some sort of powerhouse until Matt "Team Killer" Duchene arrived is based on nothing. It was a bubble team, at best, before he arrived, and combined with all the other drama associated with that organization (hello, Melnyk) it just got worse.

You put Duchene on the Pens, Caps, Lightning, etc. he's not going to suddenly cause them to tank. Yet that's what you're making it sound like he did to the Sens.

You're also wrong about him regressing badly. He had 1 bad year (his 41 point year). That's it. Every other year for the bulk of his career has seen him in the 55-59 point range.

If you don't think he's worth the assets, that's completely fine. But I think you're making him out to be something he's not.

I have just been grateful that the Isles have not given up the ranch to get him, he is not a terrible player, but forgive me if I think he is vastly overrated.

Why did Colorado flourish with him gone, it was like a switch went off and that team was top notch and all they did was lose Duchene?

Ottawa team was a bubble team barely beat out the Isles that year but they did get far in the playoffs and had a solid start to 17/18, if he is a guy that gets down on himself easily then he is bad for a team because negativity is contagious, and I am only spitting back what someone said earlier on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad