Proposal: Islanders--Edmonton

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
so because the Oilers overpaid for a defenseman you're mad at us? still don't understand.
also jt said he's happy with the direction of the team and on multiple occasions has said he wants to stay so don't see a problem there.

lol of course hes gonna say that...what else would you have expected him to say?

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
You realize they are 5 years difference in age and Puljujarvi just started playing in the AHL. Pulock has been in the AHL for 3 years and he's FINALLY hitting the right path. If we did that trade, we lose not only our only Top 6 RW, we lose 2 of our Top 6 RW and one of them who could be a 40-50 goal scorer if playing with McDavid. I still don't see your point.

Your over-valuing Pulock because you under-valuing Puljujarvi, now THAT I get. But he is no where near as important of a piece Puljujarvi will be in a year or 2.

That's like a Leafs fan arguing Morgan Reilly for John Tavares is fair.

Just curious......Did you or anyone else reading feel the Hall for Larsson deal was
fair value? Hall is a top 5 elite LW in the league.
Larsson? Top 5 D? Top 10? 20? I don`t think so.
He is good but not elite.
I think Edmonton way overpaid in value but I understand it
because due to team needs that is what was needed to get the player they wanted.
I just thought that Edmonton needed a high scoring Dman.
Value can differ depending on needs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just curious......Did you or anyone else reading feel the Hall for Larsson deal was
because due to team needs that is what was needed to get the player they wanted.

Right now Pulock would not be on the roster if everyone was healthy. The big attraction is the point shot and the fact that he is a RHD. Aside from being a lhd rather than a more desirable righty, Klefbom has basically killed the pressing need for a bomb from the point.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

This is much different that the Hall for Larsson. The only similar thing between that and now is the Isles are now desperate for a winger for Tavares. Puljujarvi is projected to be better than Hall. Pulock is a good dman, don't get me wrong, but the value is way higher on Puljujarvi than Pulock. And look, we aren't saying we wouldn't love to have Pulock, just the value isn't there and he doesn't help at this point in time. We do need a PP QB but it'll come from somewhere else. Chiarelli has stated he won't sell the farm for one.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Right now Pulock would not be on the roster if everyone was healthy. The big attraction is the point shot and the fact that he is a RHD. Aside from being a lhd rather than a more desirable righty, Klefbom has basically killed the pressing need for a bomb from the point.

Yeah pretty awesome what he is doing. I haven't had a chance to follow EDM much this year... was surprised to see him at 11 goals.

Do Oilers management and fans see that part of his game as sustainable? Enough to be the primary offensive threat from the point? If not, I have to think RNH will be used to try and get a long term offensive defenseman solution.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yeah pretty awesome what he is doing. I haven't had a chance to follow EDM much this year... was surprised to see him at 11 goals.

Do Oilers management and fans see that part of his game as sustainable? Enough to be the primary offensive threat from the point? If not, I have to think RNH will be used to try and get a long term offensive defenseman solution.

That's possible. RNH and Eberle both look out of place on the Oilers ATM and we'd entertain offers for one. But at the same time, we aren't desperately wanting to move them off. A lot of Oilers fans want to see what they can do in the playoffs as it might give them the boost we've been looking for.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This is much different that the Hall for Larsson. The only similar thing between that and now is the Isles are now desperate for a winger for Tavares. Puljujarvi is projected to be better than Hall. Pulock is a good dman, don't get me wrong, but the value is way higher on Puljujarvi than Pulock. And look, we aren't saying we wouldn't love to have Pulock, just the value isn't there and he doesn't help at this point in time. We do need a PP QB but it'll come from somewhere else. Chiarelli has stated he won't sell the farm for one.

No, winger for Tavares is not a desperation at all. A second center to draw coverage from him is the primary need.

I thought the day of the trade that the Oilers did right by that trade.

It's like the time you have to sell that vintage trans-am only to get a 5-star safety rated awd. Trans-am doesn't look so good with 2-year old child's throw up anyway.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Klefbom was actually drafted as an offensive defenseman with the potential to improve his defense. Then after the draft he was used in a more defensive role in Sweden. So the sense for a while is that his offense is a work in progress. But if you look at his first year in the league you will see that the latter part of the year, after shedding the Eakins mystique he really turned it on offensively as well with 17 points in his last 36 games.

He's always had the big shot but has really started using it this year. He had a goal called back on Tuesday by the way after a review on a very narrow offside that happened well before the goal.

The only issue here is that because McDavid naturally sets up on the right hand wall on the pp Klefbom being a lefty is not a natural on the first pp unit.

People dump on RNH because he is clearly having a down year production-wise. But his presence allows the Oilers to play Draisaitl with McDavid. When they are going they are almost unstoppable and complement one another extremely well.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
No, winger for Tavares is not a desperation at all. A second center to draw coverage from him is the primary need.

I thought the day of the trade that the Oilers did right by that trade.

It's like the time you have to sell that vintage trans-am only to get a 5-star safety rated awd. Trans-am doesn't look so good with 2-year old child's throw up anyway.

I was originally mad at first with the Hall for Larsson trade but after reading up on Larsson and doing some research and watched his plays on youtube, I can see why Chiarelli went after him and got a good deal on his hands. Now I feel the trade was fair, but back then, I felt NJ needed to add a 2nd.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
lol of course hes gonna say that...what else would you have expected him to say?

he wouldn't straight up say he hates the team but he would probably address it in a more respectful way saying there's some changes needed. tavares walking is the same concept as mcdavid walking.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was originally mad at first with the Hall for Larsson trade but after reading up on Larsson and doing some research and watched his plays on youtube, I can see why Chiarelli went after him and got a good deal on his hands. Now I feel the trade was fair, but back then, I felt NJ needed to add a 2nd.

I am enjoying people change their views on the deal. Larsson was signed cheap for long term

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I don't want or intend to dredge up all the Hamonic trade threads... but this is something that I just found so rediculous:

There would be a basic consensus on what a deal would look like, then it would be shot to ****. Because there needed to be a pick of middling prospect here or there. Ten pages latter and the Hatfields and McCoys are still going at it.

Maximizing assets needs to be tempered with identifying a need and fulfilling it. An extra 2nd round pick is truly pointless when you can lock up a fundemental piece to a winning team long term.

Hall for Larsson was the right move. Risking it falling apart to hold out for a second is just silly.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I don't want or intend to dredge up all the Hamonic trade threads... but this is something that I just found so rediculous:

There would be a basic consensus on what a deal would look like, then it would be shot to ****. Because there needed to be a pick of middling prospect here or there. Ten pages latter and the Hatfields and McCoys are still going at it.

Maximizing assets needs to be tempered with identifying a need and fulfilling it. An extra 2nd round pick is truly pointless when you can lock up a fundemental piece to a winning team long term.

Hall for Larsson was the right move. Risking it falling apart to hold out for a second is just silly.

Right. But back then, Larsson was almost an unknown. And there was absolutely no rumors of Larsson even being REMOTELY available so there was hardly any discussion on Larsson and what he could bring to the Oilers. That's part of the reason why people were mad at it to begin with. No media coverage on Larsson = No idea who he is = unfair trade. Sad but true. But like JTS said, he's signed cheap for 4 more years and if you factor that we saved almost 2M in cap space, it was an excellent move. Judged way too quickly on the trade.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Klefbom was actually drafted as an offensive defenseman with the potential to improve his defense. Then after the draft he was used in a more defensive role in Sweden. So the sense for a while is that his offense is a work in progress. But if you look at his first year in the league you will see that the latter part of the year, after shedding the Eakins mystique he really turned it on offensively as well with 17 points in his last 36 games.

He's always had the big shot but has really started using it this year. He had a goal called back on Tuesday by the way after a review on a very narrow offside that happened well before the goal.

The only issue here is that because McDavid naturally sets up on the right hand wall on the pp Klefbom being a lefty is not a natural on the first pp unit.

People dump on RNH because he is clearly having a down year production-wise. But his presence allows the Oilers to play Draisaitl with McDavid. When they are going they are almost unstoppable and complement one another extremely well.

No he was drafted as a good defensive dman with good puck moving skills.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Right. But back then, Larsson was almost an unknown. And there was absolutely no rumors of Larsson even being REMOTELY available so there was hardly any discussion on Larsson and what he could bring to the Oilers. That's part of the reason why people were mad at it to begin with. No media coverage on Larsson = No idea who he is = unfair trade. Sad but true. But like JTS said, he's signed cheap for 4 more years and if you factor that we saved almost 2M in cap space, it was an excellent move. Judged way too quickly on the trade.

Larsson reminded me somewhat of Kenny Jonsson. One of my favorite and oft maligned Islander d-man.

He was a well rounded and unexciting player who was criticized for not being too physical. Yet he routinely came out of the corners winning the puck. Pretty sure he would have been a Corsi darling if he played today.

Larsson is more physical and less offensive than KJ was. But he plays the same efficient brand of defense. On the Islanders Calvin de Haan is similar in that regards.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
How was Larsson an unknown? Just because you weren't aware of him? Lots of people knew what he would bring.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I've never seen that poster on the Islanders board.

Bad prosposal. Jesse P's value to Edmonton is sky high because of their need for youth on the wing.

Yea that is a brutal proposal, value-wise.

The only thing I agree with is that Nelson for Eberle would free up space for the Oilers with Drai and McD both due up for big raises before Eberles contract runs out.

But yea, as an Isles fan, I do that trade and 500 cartwheels. Never happen.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yea not saying Pulock is worth Puljujarvi straight up but citing points in the AHL doesn't do much to forward the argument of why Pulocks value is not Puljujarvi straight up.

As a previous poster pointed out , Pulock made the NYI this season and was injured. Since he came back from Injury he's tallied 24 points in 30 games at the AHL level as a D-Man. Puljujarvis 13 points in 17 games is good but nothing extraordinary.

Both guys are unproven and mostly potential at the NHL level.

Puljujarvi is 18 years old and this is Pulock's 4th AHL season.
Give the stats a rest!

Pulock is going to be good but dont try to defend the OP.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think many can see Eberle and Tavares playing well together.

For Isles fans, you've gotta imagine that Pulock and Barzal are off the table. The current NYI team is running on all cylinders and winning with a team that likely is one impact forward away from making some genuine noise.

This said, I'm not sure that impact player is one who should be on Tavares' line, which has been clicking quite well for a while now. Seems like someone who does more with Nelson and Strome would be the major boost.

And no-one like that is gonna be worth moving Pulock or Barzal for. As of next season, Barzal IS that guy - for the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00