Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 7 7:30pm 4/27/15 (MOD WARNING POST #2 ALL MUST READ)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This was key all series to wear down the Isles. No idea why he went away from it in game 6.

Trotz deserves credit for not panicking and rolling 3 lines in game 7. The game being tied and never trailing may have contributed, but the result speaks for itself.

Every line has flaws, and the effect Wilson and the 4th line has can't be ignored, so there's no reason for Trotz to overreact when they make a mistake.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Mojo has grown a pair of balls in this series.

Some people here are saying that he hasn't changed in the past 3 years. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I have commented on Mojo's physicality for a while now. What he displayed over the 2nd half of this series had not been seen from him before. At least by me. So up until this series he hadn't changed physically, IMO. So the comments of the previous 3 years had been accurate.

Not sure what flipped the switch for Mojo, but I hope that switch is stuck in the on position permanently. Mojo was a difference maker from a physical stand point, no doubt. And this Caps team desperately needs that Mojo for round 2 and beyond.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Random Randy Rants

Heard on 106.7 in the 400s some Isles fans were making noise, only to be drowned out by Caps fans working the Beastie Boys- no sleep till Brooklyn song. implosion.gif

I think GlenX has earned another game. He brought the 4th line to life offensively, and was wise enough to get to the front of the net numerous times. For that, he got great chances, maybe more than anyone else. Even Willy had a great chance early in the first.

Green was very active yesterday even though it didn't amount to a quality chance. More importantly, he survived without a bone head defensive gaffe so he had a good game.

I think Holtby was our MVP despite a few shaky goals, with Kuz and Nick right behind him.Your G has to be your "MVP" almost daily. Alzner and Orpik are my co-MVPs on D.

Beagle and his great chance - its imperative he shoots quickly at the net. Not put it up stairs, as some for clamoring for when Halak made a great save.

My error laden big board GDTs typed up with a baby in 1 arm? 3-0 :yo:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pierre was at a lost for words...Doc kept saying "game 7's...sometimes you get lucky"...whatever that means. They ended up giving the Caps credit though in the end...what else could they do.

This is yet another reason I can't staind that biased-as-hell crew. Holding the other team to 11 shots IS NOT LUCK.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pierre was at a lost for words...Doc kept saying "game 7's...sometimes you get lucky"...whatever that means. They ended up giving the Caps credit though in the end...what else could they do.

jicKd6z.png

List of teams with 10 or fewer SOG's in a game. Buffalo from earlier this season isn't there but they are the only team since 2008 to have only 10.

Lucky...

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
So happy for Kuznetsov. A star was born last night.

That was a world-class goal. Roofing it at that angle was great. The patience waiting for Halak to flop was even better. I think most would've shot it way earlier.

But I feel like he knew what was going to happen, in advance, before he started across the ice. I feel like he knew he had enough room to wait out Halak and would have enough room and enough angle left at the end to roof it. I think that's why I really think a star was born last night. I feel like I saw a flash of insight on his face before he started--I don't think it was merely a flash of determination to get the puck in the net and it just happened to work out in the end.

I feel like it was the kind of flash some great players have before they do something really great. I've heard lots of hockey people say it's the insight that makes some of the greatest players so great. The ability to tell the future farther in the future than the other players. Not a prerequisite to greatness, but it's one way to do it.

Maybe I've just got my fan glasses on though. If he doesn't actually have the great insight I'm attributing to him, he's still, definitely, got other stuff. Either way, I'm sure now he's a star.

That goal Holtby gave up has to be in the top 5 worst goals he's allowed all season. I still don't understand what happened there. It was too painful and I didn't want to rewind.

I think I love Joel Ward.

I wonder how beat up most of the Capitals' players are after all that. Difficult to expect them to beat the speedy Rangers after all that. Holtby playing over even his head I think would be necessary. So, not expecting any more than this. Very happy we did get this. This was one of the best playoffs series in which I've seen the Caps involved in terms of pure entertainment value.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
The stat about the Islanders forwards only have 3 SOG the entire game is mind-boggling. Their 2nd and 3rd lines were pretty much invisible and their 4th line looked like it ran out of steam.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Those 3 cross-overs by Kuzy as he moved across the ice to get away from Nielsen - they were just other-worldly. Nielsen has outstanding straight-ahead speed, but he was just left in the dust trying to keep up laterally.

Like many probably, I was freaking out that Kuzy didn't shoot like 1.5 seconds before he did. If ever there was a "Relax, these guys are professionals, they know what they're doing" moment - it was that one.

I would say the only thing that could have possibly made it all better would have been for Kuzy to say in the post game interview on national TV in broken English: "This is not my first rodeo." He sure played like it wasn't - maybe we'll get that from him next round.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Those 3 cross-overs by Kuzy as he moved across the ice to get away from Nielsen - they were just other-worldly. Nielsen has outstanding straight-ahead speed, but he was just left in the dust trying to keep up laterally.

Like many probably, I was freaking out that Kuzy didn't shoot like 1.5 seconds before he did. If ever there was a "Relax, these guys are professionals, they know what they're doing" moment - it was that one.

I would say the only thing that could have possibly made it all better would have been for Kuzy to say in the post game interview on national TV in broken English: "This is not my first rodeo." He sure played like it wasn't - maybe we'll get that from him next round.

Once I realized it was 92 with the puck, I had no doubt in my mind that was going in.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Some people just can't appreciate Joel Ward for some reason until he pops up and reminds everyone why he's here. He could go goalless for the first 82 for all I care. He earns his money in the spring. Brouwer could learn a thing or 10 from him.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Some people just can't appreciate Joel Ward for some reason until he pops up and reminds everyone why he's here. He could go goalless for the first 82 for all I care. He earns his money in the spring. Brouwer could learn a thing or 10 from him.

Alex Prewitt @alex_prewitt
Corrected stats about Ward:

First on the Caps in ES SAT% during the series (56.9%).

Eight points in 14 games since getting moved to 1RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad