Islanders better than most people thought

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
You are talking about individual skill. Of course the Caps blow them away in skill. It isnt even close. The Caps problem isn't skill. The Caps are playing similar to how the Islanders played last season. They can score but they are having trouble keeping the puck out if their own net. They aren't playing a disciplined style. The Islanders are playing a disciplined game.
Ovechkin largely carried this team offensively for years, specifically for goals scoring very big % of goals some years, and Backstrom too. These guys managed to get much worse Caps rosters to the playoffs supplying a way disproportionate amount of skill. I agree individual talent isn’t everything, but it can be enough for the playoffs on its own.

Even IF the Caps don’t tighten up as a unit, they have way more talent now, that alone could very much take them to the wildcard spot. But I can’t stress enough how little the first 10 games means. Really any 10 game stretch but especially the opening days. I’m sure we both remember the Caps were downright awful a good deal of last season and still topped the division.

Todd Reirden hasn’t exactly changed the system all that drastically, and he knows the players, and has been on multiple teams short lists for Head Coach position. The roster is the same that has been playing this system. The safe money is definitely on them having another very good season, provided they stay healthy.

The islanders improved their roster some, but it’s still nothing special on paper, and hasn’t done anything in real life. This Caps team is better in both respects. *Maybe* I’ll say the islanders are likely to challenge the Caps in 20 games if they have a much better position, or any better position, for an extended time. They’re basically even right now. As early as tonight the Caps could jump the Isles

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
PDO is a very flawed analytic, it doesnt take into account quality of chances either way. I put very little weight into that. On the same note; there is no analytic that measures every variable on how a team is playing so I put little/no confidence in them.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Team is off to a good start. Yes, getting outshot nightly and under no illusions that the roster is very talented, but it just shows how much coaching and structure makes a difference. It’s not like they’re winning these games 7-6 like the beginning of last year.

Reactions: MattMartin

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
imagine this team with Tavares! :sarcasm:

This is an actual team now, as oppose to an organization that makes everything revolve around one player. Now that Matthew's is out, you'll see just what JT brings to the table.

In the past the Islanders as a whole were not greater then the sum of their parts, while very early in the season, this crew seems to be greater then the sum of it's parts. Very tough schedule to start the year and doing pretty well, good luck at the draft lottery.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Someone brought up this analogy to me. How is this year's Islanders team all that much different from last year's Vegas team?

Reactions: Bossy573

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Someone brought up this analogy to me. How is this year's Islanders team all that much different from last year's Vegas team?

Vegas was way deeper at forward and had a way better goalie.

PDO is a very flawed analytic, it doesnt take into account quality of chances either way. I put very little weight into that. On the same note; there is no analytic that measures every variable on how a team is playing so I put little/no confidence in them.

PDO doesn't have to take into account quality of chances, because high danger chances that get stopped will get negated out in the long run by low danger chances that go in. Over an 82 game schedule, teams tend to regress towards the mean.

Reactions: Quicklime

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Barzal is elite. Just gonna say, Isles didn't lose their best player over the summer.

Honestly, in a 2015 reDraft, he may go 2nd ahead of Eichel.

And after, McDavid and Mackinnon, he is the best young C in the game.

Rest of the team is Trash though.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Very different -

1) No clear cut #1G with pedigree like MAF
2) No sniper a la Neal
3) Trotz >> Gallant IMO
4) Islanders core have played with one another for years, VGK did not
5 Vegas did not have their franchise talent walk out the door last year, it was the opposite, when Karlsson came out of nowhere to be a star

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Barzal is elite. Just gonna say, Isles didn't lose their best player over the summer.

Honestly, in a 2015 reDraft, he may go 2nd ahead of Eichel.

And after, McDavid and Mackinnon, he is the best young C in the game.

Rest of the team is Trash though.

No doubt, people think Isles fans are just spewing BS to make ourselves feel better. Tavares last two seasons were 66 points and 70 points. It wasn't till Barzal showed up and carried the team that he got back up into the 80's, he was trending downward for a few seasons. The league is faster and the kid who won the calder is the perfect specimen for this modern game, just need to get a real sniper on his wing, like Wahlstrom or Bellows.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Thx. . . How to we add another win to the graph? I’m terrible with this sorta stuff.
Sarcasm. Cool. I’m sure that the islanders will continue to get elite level goaltending from robin Lehner and shoot over 12% all season.

Radek Forever

Jul 1, 2018
Think tonight was the first time I was really impressed. A lot of this early run was PDO, but they were really solid tonight. Oh, and more people need to be talking about how good Lee and Bailey are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad