Islanders better than most people thought

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i think the vets are your team are the reason why they are good, good thing the new gm didnt clean house.

Reactions: NHLpls

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I'm just happy that they compete in seemingly every game and are responsible (for the most part). The "fly by the seat of their pants" days are over which is refreshing for this season and exciting for the future.

I'm also very excited for them to play in the Coliseum again. The bottom six is made for that building, which should help them in a playoff hunt if they find themselves in the race.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Who do you think they're going to pass in the Metro? Carolina and NJD are improved, they aren't finishing above PIT, WSH or CBJ, and the Flyers have room to improve. Only the Rangers are true dogs in that division.

The Isles may be better this year, but I'd bet a couple of paychecks against them making the playoffs.
Hate to rain on your parade but the Islanders are playing better than the Caps right now.
They have possibly had the most difficult schedule to start the season. Most of their games have been on the road against tough competition. They also went through the west coast trip in California.
They dont have the offensive talent of some teams but they are playing well defensively.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The Islanders 3rd and 4th lines have improved dramatically from last season thus far. It’s only 11 games and I won’t get overally excited, but Filppula, Komarov, Ladd, Cizekas and Matty Martin have all contributed.
Add Kuhnhackl who has only played 4 games and was good last night.

These guys are the difference thus far up front.
Those lines better be improved, considering the Ladd, Komarov, Filp, Zeke, Martin, and Clutterbuck are making a combined $20.6M this season.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Hate to rain on your parade but the Islanders are playing better than the Caps right now.
They have possibly had the most difficult schedule to start the season. Most of their games have been on the road against tough competition. They also went through the west coast trip in California.
They dont have the offensive talent of some teams but they are playing well defensively.
So what? I specifically said the Isles may be improved this year.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
And you specifically said they would finish behind the Caps. I'm not sure about that.
Have you followed the NHL before this season? This is not unheard of for the Caps in any year; that they played longer than most teams this summer, and partied harder than any doesn’t even have to factor in.

The Caps have a proven, not that old, and insanely talented core and nice pieces around them. It’s not impossible for the islanders to finish ahead, but one is far more likely to be disappointed later if they really expect the Islanders to have a good chance at finishing above the Caps, based on both teams’ past history and current rosters.

Also, we are about 10 games in. Didn’t the Flyers open with 10 wins* twice? Or was it the flyers one year, and someone else the other... either way I don’t think those teams did too well by game 82 in their respective seasons.

The islanders have 1 more point, with 1 more game played...

One of the Caps bigger problems right now is their penalty kill sinking them (they always have and probably always will take more penalties), which has a new system, is missing its most used player (beagle), it’s second most used player (Wilson) and it’s fourth (Chiasson). And it’s early...

——————————————*

Anyways, slightly more on topic, I never wish well on the islanders, but for Trotz to find more success there I couldn’t help but be happy for him.
He’s definitely deserving of credit for this teams more responsible defensive play, whether it secures them a much better record long term or not. If Trotz can make the early Preds teams noteworthy, he can do good things with this Islanders team as well. I wish he’d get more credit for his Preds teams.

If I had to bet on a wild card right now, this early, I’d say the Islanders earn the first wildcard; unless another Metro team collapses due to injury or whatever. I wouldn’t be super surprised if they got the 3rd seat.

I expect them to make a fairly big splash in the trade market as well. That is, if the GM is the type to allow coaches input. Trotz was important to some key signings/trades of the Caps.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Islanders are a very good underdog team this year it seems like. What i mean by that is when they're not the team expected to win they can use that mental edge to their advantage, play a good Trotz team defense and use their skill to score some goals on the counter and PP. They can give you the shots which makes it frustrating for other teams. Also they skate well enough to keep up. You really have to work for your high quality chances against them this year.

Last edited:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah they look good and have a ton of structure.

Lou went into the offseason and improved the team, everyone said "Tavares for Martin and Komarov LULZ" but those people didn't know the team.
are grabovski and kulemin still there?

Those guys were great, miss them.

Reactions: bigtim1988

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Have you followed the NHL before this season? This is not unheard of for the Caps in any year; that they played longer than most teams this summer, and partied harder than any doesn’t even have to factor in.

The Caps have a proven, not that old, and insanely talented core and nice pieces around them. It’s not impossible for the islanders to finish ahead, but one is far more likely to be disappointed later if they really expect the Islanders to have a good chance at finishing above the Caps, based on both teams’ past history and current rosters.

Also, we are about 10 games in. Didn’t the Flyers open with 10 wins* twice? Or was it the flyers one year, and someone else the other... either way I don’t think those teams did too well by game 82 in their respective seasons.

The islanders have 1 more point, with 1 more game played...

One of the Caps bigger problems right now is their penalty kill sinking them (they always have and probably always will take more penalties), which has a new system, is missing its most used player (beagle), it’s second most used player (Wilson) and it’s fourth (Chiasson). And it’s early...

——————————————*

Anyways, slightly more on topic, I never wish well on the islanders, but for Trotz to find more success there I couldn’t help but be happy for him.
He’s definitely deserving of credit for this teams more responsible defensive play, whether it secures them a much better record long term or not. If Trotz can make the early Preds teams noteworthy, he can do good things with this Islanders team as well. I wish he’d get more credit for his Preds teams.

If I had to bet on a wild card right now, this early, I’d say the Islanders earn the first wildcard; unless another Metro team collapses due to injury or whatever. I wouldn’t be super surprised if they got the 3rd seat.

I expect them to make a fairly big splash in the trade market as well. That is, if the GM is the type to allow coaches input. Trotz was important to some key signings/trades of the Caps.
Lmao I have been following the NHL since 1971 and gave been die hard Caps fan since they entered the NHL. You dont need to tell me the history of the Caps. Not sure if you have watched the Caps this year or not but they aren't really playing very well. No structure in their game. They are playing with an offence only mentality. It really only worked in one game this year. It hasn't been pretty.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Barzal has not been playing great thus far, but he has still managed to be a PPG player thus far. Last night he looked much better. He also started off slow last season, and than took off like a rocket. He's the last player on the team I'm concerned about. It's only a matter of time until he breaks out.
I wouldn’t even say Barzal started slow last year. He was playing very well and his teammates just weren’t cashing in on the opportunities he created. He really could do no wrong, he was electrifying every game.

This year I’d say he’s definitely struggled a bit, falling down and turning the puck over much more often than last year. That said, I have confidence he’ll turn it around.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Lmao I have been following the NHL since 1971 and gave been die hard Caps fan since they entered the NHL. You dont need to tell me the history of the Caps. Not sure if you have watched the Caps this year or not but they aren't really playing very well. No structure in their game. They are playing with an offence only mentality. It really only worked in one game this year. It hasn't been pretty.

10 games, dude. Just wait before putting the final nail in the coffin of a top contender.

There is nothing substantial yet to suggest the Islanders are likely to finish above the Caps.

1 less game played, and 1 less point. And a better core, more proven talent and a roster that just won this very same division, and a Stanley Cup.

For a “die hard Caps fan” you’re seriously underestimating this team... and what a time to do it!

Last edited:

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
They are better than expected and so far had some lucky breaks as well as goalies had stolen some of the games for them.

However I do notice that most of their players are paying more attention to details, being much more physical and blocking shots more effectively. The PK definitely has improved. This team is playing with a chip on their shoulder as many fans and analysts have wrote them off early this year including myself. Definitely the new system has some effect on how they are playing but the execution is not always there. Their D group have been still somewhat inconstant with a few good games followed with the exact opposite. It could very well be the case of confidence and to some extent ability to execute well being limited due to the lack of foot speed at the back end.

Not sure how long they can stay above .500 as it all comes down to how long the team can stay focused, committed and healthy. The older vets who has been surprisingly playing well may slow down during the 2nd half. It may also come down to how much their AHL prospects can improve and ready to step in once the injury bugs hit hard.

As an Isles fan, I agree that there are just too many good teams in the Metro division so it would be very tough to make the playoff unless one of those top competitors lose their key core players for much of the season. However you may just never know. Isles may just be the 2017-2018 version of Vegas team this year.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
10 games, dude. Just wait before putting the final nail in the coffin of a top contender.

There is nothing substantial yet to suggest the Islanders are likely to finish above the Caps.

1 less game played, and 1 less point. And a better core, more proven talent and a roster that just won this very same division, and a Stanley Cup.

For a “die hard Caps fan” you’re seriously underestimating this team... and what a time to do it!
I dont care for the style of game they are playing right now. They aren't playing a very responsible game. Hopefully that changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad