Friedman: Islanders are following the Canucks real closely for a while now

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I know Mayfield has an expiring contract, but would it make sense to be the target for the Canucks?
As a UFA if he’s available, yes. As a trade target the Canucks don’t have anything of use to the Islanders so no.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I could still see JT Miller being the target. NYI tried to get him at the deadline, but the talks crumbled.

The Canucks tried to convert Miller to center to start the season (presumably to make Horvat an expendable trade piece), and that backfired. So now the Miller asking price should be considerably lower with his new contract in place, and I can see Lou circling back and lowballing the Canucks. The Canucks would have no real choice but to accept any Miller trade if they want to re-sign Horvat.

Miller as a winger is already back to his near 100 point pace (sample size is small), so I still believe he has positive value even with that contract.

If the reports around draft day were accurate and the NYI were linked to Miller, I imagine they didn't want him purely as a rental, and would've been signing him to a multi-year deal. So Lou might be okay with Miller's contract. So I'm not entirely convinced that Lou has moved on from Miller.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
As a UFA if he’s available, yes. As a trade target the Canucks don’t have anything of use to the Islanders so no.
I was just saying earlier that Mayfield would make sense for Vancouver, I have no idea what NYI would want back.

However, assuming Elliott Friedman is correct (the premise of the thread) the Isles are interested in some players Vancouver has under contract.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I was just saying earlier that Mayfield would make sense for Vancouver, I have no idea what NYI would want back.

However, assuming Elliott Friedman is correct (the premise of the thread) the Isles are interested in some players Vancouver has under contract.
What the Islanders need will cost more than Mayfield. The only true missing piece is a proven QUALITY goal scorer. A guy who consistently pots 30+ (without projected/adjusted numbers being used). The pieces being discussed by Vancouver fans aren’t of any interest to the Islanders nor do they truly fix anything except eating cap space.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I don't see why Vancouver would want an upcoming UFA in Mayfield seeing their position in the standings. I know Mayfield is solid, but unless Allvin and Rutherford think they got an extension in place, it seems like an odd move.

Nov 1, 2011
I don't understand the comments about Miller not preforming as a centre this season.

The guy has 7 goals and 12 points in 12 games played.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
During a radiot hit, Friedman says he has been informed that the Islanders have been following the Canucks very closely since pre Halloween. Local reports in Van have also confirmed that there have been a big Islanders scouting presence during their homestand.

Is something brewing? There was of course that reported trade during the draft that got nixed at the very last second so at the very least we know these 2 teams have been in discussion for a while now.

Speculation by Vancouver media and insiders is that the Islanders are looking at Tyler Myers and Brock Boeser. Beuavallier and Pullock are the names being floated as players that would interest the Canucks.

Sources?

Or by "Vancouver media"... you mean, fans on twitter?

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
What the Islanders need will cost more than Mayfield. The only true missing piece is a proven QUALITY goal scorer. A guy who consistently pots 30+ (without projected/adjusted numbers being used). The pieces being discussed by Vancouver fans aren’t of any interest to the Islanders nor do they truly fix anything except eating cap space.
I’m not debating what you’re saying, but assuming Friedman is correct, the Isles have interest in players Van has.

It’s fine to not believe what Friedman is saying, but I find it odd to seemingly be against the premise of the thread, but continue to post…

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’m not debating what you’re saying, but assuming Friedman is correct, the Isles have interest in players Van has.

It’s not fine to not believe what Friedman is saying, but I find it odd to seemingly be against the premise of the thread, but continue to post…
They could be interested in players mainly for the trade deadline. Currently the Islanders have 4 lines and 3 pairings that are working well. The only upgrade could realistically be a 3LD but if Aho starts to faulter, Robin Salo can be brought up to replace him.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I don't understand the comments about Miller not preforming as a centre this season.

The guy has 7 goals and 12 points in 12 games played.
He was moved to the wing after a few very poor games. Since bein on Horvat's wing his skating has seemed to improve and yes he is at a ppg.

New management regime is hard to figure out, they say the core is early to mid 20s but locked up the older 29yr old JT Miller before the captain 27 yr old Horvat...

JT had his 99pt season playing C all season last year, we may see him back at C as we have no C's who can win faceoffs besides Bo and JT was decent at it last year.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Bo for Pageau + prospect may make a bit of sense for both teams. Both are excellent at PK and faceoff with Bo highly likely not resigned in Vancouver. Bo is too good to be a 3rd line center and he can play on Isles's 2nd line by moving Barzal to Nelson's wing to create a much improved top line. I am both a Canucks and Isles fan and watch both teams a lot and think this may benefit both teams. Canucks can use that money they would have to resign Bo to go after an RHD from another team in his prime or a UFA this coming summer.

Mayfield likely will not be retained easily but Isles is right now capable of contending for a playoff spot so he will not be traded until near the deadline depending on if Isles can make the playoff or not. He is highly valued on the Isles team, a well-liked teammate who can handle the rough stuff, real good in front of the net boxing out opposing players, and is a big part of why their PK is top 10.

I recalled someone on the Isles board also mentioned that Pulock has a no-trade contract so Lou cannot just move him to any team at will. He has been playing well this year being healthier and has a ceiling not yet reached. As he is signed to a team-friendly contract I do not see him being moved unless it is for a proven healthy scoring top 6 winger in his prime. The only move I can ever see involving Pulock is a trade to either Winnipeg (birthplace) or Toronto for one of their excess healthy scorings LH forwards with terms. A decent 2nd pairing RHD under 30 has to come back though if traded this or next season, with Mayfield possibly leaving in the summer and no one in the Isles system yet proven ready to take on a 2nd RHD role next season. Isles need to avoid any more deals similar to the Toews one.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Bo for Pageau + prospect may make a bit of sense for both teams. Both are excellent at PK and faceoff with Bo highly likely not resigned in Vancouver. Bo is too good to be a 3rd line center and he can play on Isles's 2nd line by moving Barzal to Nelson's wing to create a much improved top line. I am both a Canucks and Isles fan and watch both teams a lot and think this may benefit both teams. Canucks can use that money they would have to resign Bo to go after an RHD from another team in his prime or a UFA this coming summer.

Mayfield likely will not be retained easily but Isles is right now capable of contending for a playoff spot so he will not be traded until near the deadline depending on if Isles can make the playoff or not. He is highly valued on the Isles team, a well-liked teammate who can handle the rough stuff, real good in front of the net boxing out opposing players, and is a big part of why their PK is top 10.

I recalled someone on the Isles board also mentioned that Pulock has a no-trade contract so Lou cannot just move him to any team at will. He has been playing well this year being healthier and has a ceiling not yet reached. As he is signed to a team-friendly contract I do not see him being moved unless it is for a proven healthy scoring top 6 winger in his prime. The only move I can ever see involving Pulock is a trade to either Winnipeg (birthplace) or Toronto for one of their excess healthy scorings LH forwards with terms. A decent 2nd pairing RHD under 30 has to come back though if traded this or next season, with Mayfield possibly leaving in the summer and no one in the Isles system yet proven ready to take on a 2nd RHD role next season. Isles need to avoid any more deals similar to the Toews one.

I don’t see how trading Horvat for a 29 year old, who is worse at hockey, and plays the same position, is even remotely beneficial for Vancouver. There better be one heck of a good prospect coming along with Pageau to make this worthy of consideration.

Reactions: Foppberg

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Whenever I read the title of this thread, I always think of Michael Jackson and Macaulay Calkin for some reason, with the Islanders playing the role of Michael Jackson and the Canucks playing the role of Macaulay Calkin.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

Bo Horvat has a lot more value than JGB, even as a UFA, so the pick(s)/prospect added to the deal would need to be quite good. In that hypothetical scenario, Islanders wouldn't necessarily need to trade any "bluechip prospect" per se, but they'd need to part with a really good piece (plural possibly) to make up the difference.

Also, if Horvat was let go by Canucks, which RHD do you think they would be able to sign with the money freed up that way? Klingberg? I like him, but he's not what the Canucks need, at all.

As for the other UFA defencemen, while some could sincerely help the Canucks next year irrespective of handedness (Mayfield, Soucy, Gavrikov, among others), I really fail to see how they could match the impact Horvat has on the ice for the Canucks.

Even the whole of JGB+prospect+UFA signing for roughly Horvat's cap hit would potentially not be an advantageous deal for Vancouver provided that they intend to compete soon-ish.

So yeah, letting Horvat walk is a bad idea for the Canucks, even if you consider that they have two centers in Pettersson and possibly Miller who can show well in the top 6.

If they're smart they'll either manage to land some very interesting future pieces for him (which won't include Pageau), or then they'll trade someone else and just re-sign him given that he's a really important player for the Canucks.

And I say that as a Montreal Canadiens fan with no dog in the fight

Reactions: sting101

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

That's pretty bad for Vancouver. I love JGP but Horvat is much better.

The only mildly related move I could see is the rights to Horvat for the rights to Mayfield at the draft if it's clear both are not re-signing. But even that is out there.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

That better be a helluva prospect.

Horvat is not going anywhere if they want to try and tool this team to win. Why would they sign Miller 29 Michayev 28 Kuzmenko 26 Boeser 25 Lazar 27 acquire Bear 25 Dermott 25 and then rebuild with/without 27yr old captain Bo Horvat?

It makes no sense.

Islanders need goals......Boeser Garland Miller and Horvat are the only logical connections in that regard. Horvat Boeser and Miller were either signed or endorsed by this management group. Do the math

If they have been scouting. It wasn't for Boeser he hasn't been playing

I would suspect the talks at the draft were around Garland for Beauvillier with the 13 for the 15 to even things out and because Allvin had a hard on for Lekkerimaki. It's possible there was some other parts moving and that's where things broke down or that Montreal really wanted the 13 so they could get their guy and they couldn't agree on the make up part/s

Myers makes no sense for NYI neither does Mayfield given the Nucks can't afford him without dumping salary and would have to lock him up to make any sense given they are trending towards lottery status. I think the confusion regarding Myers is that he would have to move first to take back Beauvillier because the Canucks want to shed the 6 million (or Garlands 5 but NYI cant afford that without sending back Beauvillier) and that's where his name came into the whole scenario. It's rumored he used his NTC to block a move.

For Miller i could only see the new management group wanting Pulock. And it makes sense for organizational needs. They are hell bent on making playoffs and adding 22-26 yr old players. No matter how many idiots look at the contract and freak out and think we need to sell sell sell he's been a top15 forward for 3yrs now he's not gonna be some cap dump. JT Miller is a impact player and it will cost impact to get impact. FTR i dont think it will be Miller as Allvin seems to be aligning himself for a free agent RD this off season.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That's pretty bad for Vancouver. I love JGP but Horvat is much better.

The only mildly related move I could see is the rights to Horvat for the rights to Mayfield at the draft if it's clear both are not re-signing. But even that is out there.
Yes it's completely out there because if Horvat goes to free agency the Canucks will be looking for a HUGE package back and wherever he goes it will be long term trade and sign.

I highly doubt he's going unless it's what HE wants. Which could be possible but would make the ongoing negotiations odd

Not available for anything that Canucks fans would consider halfway reasonable, so let's not go down this rabbit hole.
mid round 1st in a weak draft?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Horvat for Bailey, Raty + pick.

Bailey in for cap purposes.

Raty as blue chip prospect, compensated for Baileys extra year and Raty likely falls back in pecking order if Isles re sign Horvat.

Pick to re stock the pool.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Horvat for Bailey, Raty + pick.

Bailey in for cap purposes.

Raty as blue chip prospect, compensated for Baileys extra year and Raty likely falls back in pecking order if Isles re sign Horvat.

Pick to re stock the pool.
Makes no sense

Look i get fans want to rebuild but management has not made a single move that suggests rebuild. The other thing to consider is if this is the move for Horvat then Demko Hughes Pettersson are all likelyy gone as well then and you have completely botched the Miller Kuzmenko Michayev Boeser signings

Not gonna happen unless Bo has told management recently he wants out

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I only suggested Pageau because he is really good at faceoff and PK and is fast. Of course, Isles need to send back a blue-chip prospect for that kind of move therefore the + prospect. Losing Horvat will hurt Canucks defensively as he is one of the better 2-way forwards on the team. Canucks do not have a problem scoring, they have trouble keeping the pucks out and Demko can't stand on his head all season. Right now the defense does not protect their goalie enough and with Bo gone this will only get worse and their face-off will suffer. If they cannot land a good RHD from another team, then they need to at least return a good defensive forward with speed. Maybe not Isles but from another team.

I can also see a swap between Garland and Beau.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Would you trade Pulock for Alex Debrincat in the offseason? While ADB is elite, a top 4RHD is much more of a pressing need for the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad