Dreger: Islanders and Avalanche lead Eberle sweepstakes

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
This actually makes me feel better as an Isles fan.

This has to be pure ******** "leaked" by someone trying to drive up Eberle's value.

The Avs make zero sense whatsoever. The isles have been "linked" to Eberle forever so it makes sense to lump NYI in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Unless Chia is as blind as Soderberg is and still has some kind of love for him I don't see why Colorado would want to get involved with Eberle. They aren't in a position to be trading assets.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
May not be a right fit for the Avs but I don't get all the hate on eberle. Maybe I don't watch enough games but he was a + player this year with 51 points. Overpaid by about 2-3 million but not a horrible player

You think a 51 point player good for 50-60 points is worth 3 million?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's no secret the Avs are looking for D, why would they trade one of their better ones for a one dimensional winger?

As I outlined in my previous post, if the Avs deal Duchene or Landeskog for a Dman, they might be looking to replace the scoring void at forward. Not saying it would be a smart move but just trying to figure out what Sakic might be thinking.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Only way that might make sense for the Avs IMO is if Puljujarvi comes our way as well.
Which you probably agree has no chance of happening...

Aside from that Barrie for Eberle is horrific for the Avs..

We don't get younger, make our major weakness worse, get horrible value for a guy like Barrie, don't even get cap relief and get Eberle of all people who probably is not the guy you want to center your rebuild around....

All in all a horrific deal if it happens. Which it just might given who is the Avs GM right now...

Ya, no.

The difference between Barrie and Eberle isn't Pulju...Also, the Avs are centering their rebuild around MacKinnon and Rantanen..not Eberle

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
May not be a right fit for the Avs but I don't get all the hate on eberle. Maybe I don't watch enough games but he was a + player this year with 51 points. Overpaid by about 2-3 million but not a horrible player

I do not think you have a grasp on how much 1st and 2nd line players get.

since the lock out he has scored 113 goals for an average of 22.6 goals a season

can you post the players who have done that over the pat 5 years that make under 4mill a year?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yep. No matter what people say about Eberle having a bad year, Hamonic had a horrendous year, one of the worst Dmen in the NHL last year.

No from the Oilers.

I don't think claiming Eberle is a 60 point forward and that last year was an off one and then bashing Hamonic for his play last year is very fair.

Hamonic is a good D-man. He didn't have a great year but there is no reason to think he can't bounce back. He is only 26 years old.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hopefully Chiarelli still likes Soderberg from his Boston days. I honestly think he can rebound back to a 50 points player. Won't mind a deal around Soderberg for Eberle, the Oilers can improve their Centre depth.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
It's unusual for an Avs rumor to get leaked, as Sakic likes to keep his cards hidden. Could this be a tactical ploy to help with another dealing behind the scenes? Granted, could just be a leak, but I'm trying to think of something that makes sense (or at least more sense than trading for Eberle)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Kinda surprised its not Eberle for the rights to Kovalchuk.

I'm a bit surprised Eberle is even traded TBH.
I know he's not popular in Edmonton right now, but considering 20 goals is his worst output since becoming an NHLer, It's going to be really tough trying to replace that kind of regular season production.

As his worst season in his career, he still finished top 20 in the league for RW scoring with some of the lowest minutes played of those players (producing from the 2nd line).

If you consider this an outlier down year for him, and average out his past 3 seasons:
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

He's in the top 11 RW point producers, with Simmons, Oshie, Jagr, Zuccarello, and Okposo.

He's a legitimate first line RW in this league. I personally think he's a good player with a bad year behind him. I don't think he's a bad player who played misleadingly well for the first 6 years.

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Phaneuf for Eberle straight up makes sense. Dion can immensely improve top 4 and it looks like the Oilers are ready to contend, he was a beast in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad