Dreger: Islanders and Avalanche lead Eberle sweepstakes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
May not be a right fit for the Avs but I don't get all the hate on eberle. Maybe I don't watch enough games but he was a + player this year with 51 points. Overpaid by about 2-3 million but not a horrible player

If 51 points even one dimensional is worth $3million, almost the entire league is overpaid.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They've been rebuilding for nearly a decade. It's time to try and actually build a good roster rather than hoping 2mil a year journeymen +20 year old RFA's can somehow be a good team.

That doesn't matter now. They were by far the worst team in the league this past year.
They should be patient and try to build it proberly.

Quick fix is not going to work.

Colorado was the lowest scoring team in the NHL last year, Eberle helps with that, doesn't seem that odd to me. It also seems like Colorado is trying to parlay their offensive talent upfront to upgrade their blueline, if they get their big asking price for Duchene and can pay a moderate price for Eberle to replace a good chunk of the offense lost, it seems like a perfectly reasonable plan.

Eberle makes 6M and doesn't drive the play. He's a complimentary player that can frustrate. He should be a target for a better team than Colorado.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Jesus Sakic :laugh::shakehead

Why on earth would the Avs of all teams want Eberle?

My favorite player of all time but he really blows as a GM....

Hope Dreger is wrong on that one...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't get Colorado being interested.

Chia going for his 2nd pair pp Barrie.

I think it makes sense. If they deal Duchene or Landeskog for a Dman, it might make sense to fill the scoring void by dealing a Dman for another forward. I'm sure the Oilers would have to add in a Barrie deal but I can see a base to work off of.

Then again, Dreger similar to Friedman, throws a bunch of **** out there hoping that some it sticks so a grain of salt should be taken here.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think it makes sense. If they deal Duchene or Landeskog for a Dman, it might make sense to fill the scoring void by dealing a Dman for another forward. I'm sure the Oilers would have to add in a Barrie deal but I can see a base to work off of.

Only way that might make sense for the Avs IMO is if Puljujarvi comes our way as well.
Which you probably agree has no chance of happening...

Aside from that Barrie for Eberle is horrific for the Avs..

We don't get younger, make our major weakness worse, get horrible value for a guy like Barrie, don't even get cap relief and get Eberle of all people who probably is not the guy you want to center your rebuild around....

All in all a horrific deal if it happens. Which it just might given who is the Avs GM right now...

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I can't see what the Avs would give up for Eberle, their assets are either too valuable or junk:
Too Valuable for Eberle:
Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Jost, Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov.
Worthless:
Rest of the roster.

I would not give up anyone on the top list for Eberle and I don't think the Oilers want any of the junk...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Only way that might make sense for the Avs IMO is if Puljujarvi comes our way as well.
Which you probably agree has no chance of happening...

Aside from that Barrie for Eberle is horrific for the Avs..

We don't get younger, make our major weakness worse, get horrible value for a guy like Barrie, don't even get cap relief and get Eberle of all people who probably is not the guy you want to center your rebuild around....

All in all a horrific deal if it happens. Which it just might given who is the Avs GM right now...

Ok, I understand that it's not equal value but lets not act like Barrie is some all world Dman here.

Also, as we've learned over the years, HF is awful at valuing potential trades.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Getting Eberle is a sweepstakes, really?

If your team is looking for a UFA 60 point winger there is no chance they can sign one for less than 6 bills and without a NMC. If you are trying to acquire one in trade Eberle is available. Not a lot of guys are in that range and are available for trade.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I don't get why you guys have this idea Eberle is some cap dump that can't even get you a second round pick. He is coming off the worst season of his career and still put of 51 points. Even if he's one-dimensional and lacking in many aspects, he's usually good for 25 goals/60 points or so every season which would help out any offensive starved team. Sure he's overpaid for what he brings, but as a UFA, I'm pretty sure he'd get a similar contract anyway.

I doubt Eberle has the value to return Hamonic/Barrie straight up, but those are likely targets and I can see Chia adding a piece like Caleb Jones/Ethan Bear to close the deal. I get that Avs fans wouldn't be happy to add another one dimensional winger to their team for a player of Barrie's caliber, but adding an excellent defense prospect like Jones/Bear to your organization could potentially pay huge dividends down the road.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Ok, I understand that it's not equal value but lets not act like Barrie is some all world Dman here.

Also, as we've learned over the years, HF is awful at valuing potential trades.

It's no secret the Avs are looking for D, why would they trade one of their better ones for a one dimensional winger?

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Acquiring Eberle would put the final dagger in my heart as an Avs fan.

Seriously, if this is true, Sakic needs to go ASAP. This in the kind of **** he's been pulling since he got here. I'll be in fumes if we acquire him. Might as well keep Duchene (if Duchene were to have a bounce back year he'd be well over Eberle's point production).

What goes through Sakic's mind ???

Praying this doesn't happen ! I'd prefer RNH a million times more than Eberle and I don't even want RNH.

Please, Please let this not happen :facepalm:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad