Confirmed with Link: Islanders Acquire Romanov and 4th Round pick from MTL for '22 First Round Pick (13 Overall)

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Love it. Would've been happy if the 13th became a player like him. And he's still young enough that he can be a part of the team for a long time, so it's not like we are even making much of a sacrifice in terms of the team's future. Our top 4 is looking real good for the next 5 years at least.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I like it, based on the scouting reports on Romanov. Young, cheap, can slot into the top 4. Just a good trade.

Romanov have an offensive element to his game?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Love it. Would've been happy if the 13th became a player like him. And he's still young enough that he can be a part of the team for a long time, so it's not like we are even making much of a sacrifice in terms of the team's future. Our top 4 is looking real good for the next 5 years at least.
He's from Dobson's draft class just to give you an idea of how young he is.

He's cut from a different cloth (in the sense that you'll never see a 50+ point season from him), but it's nice to add some legitimate youth to the blueline after losing Toews and Leddy is consecutive summers.

You can argue NYI paid a premium (which they probably did), but having a legitimate defense core is a huge part of NYI's playoff hopes and GMLL doesn't exactly have the best track record of drafting in the 1st round even when dating back to his New Jersey days.

I hope there is another addition on the backend and up front, but they've already filled a much needed hole that Chara/Greene tried (but failed to) admirably plug.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I know it's a stretch to compare trades across several seasons, but Toews and a 1st for Romanov and two 2nds…

Reactions: xECK29x

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Got a cheap (he's rfa but can't be expecting too much) YOUNG (just 22) top 4 D to pair with Dobson for the foreseeable future for a pick that may or may not end up better than Romanov is already. I like it. I like it better than moving it for an older UFA to be.

Just have to hope he's interested in coming to the Island, Russian players always have the KHL option, but that's just my anxiety talking.
Is the KHL even a viable option anymore due to the situation with Russia in the Ukraine? Isn’t their money virtually worthless these days?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I know it's a stretch to compare trades across several seasons, but Toews and a 1st for Romanov and two 2nds…
NYI also got (needed) cap space in this transaction, but sacrificed last season in order to do so.

Hopefully there is more moves and NYI comes out like gangbusters next season. The window is now...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NYI also got (needed) cap space in this transaction, but sacrificed last season in order to do so.

Hopefully there is more moves and NYI comes out like gangbusters next season. The window is now...
Only if Lou shucks off the 4th line and a couple of other forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad