Confirmed with Link: Islanders Acquire Romanov and 4th Round pick from MTL for '22 First Round Pick (13 Overall)

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
giphy.webp

Reactions: kp61c

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Love this. I wanted him so badly last summer when there were rumors of a possible deal and when the deal fell through it seemed the train left the station - MTL fans included him in their long-term plans. But we have him now! Might be my new favorite Islander. He's our new bigger Kaspar.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Got a cheap (he's rfa but can't be expecting too much) YOUNG (just 22) top 4 D to pair with Dobson for the foreseeable future for a pick that may or may not end up better than Romanov is already. I like it. I like it better than moving it for an older UFA to be.

Just have to hope he's interested in coming to the Island, Russian players always have the KHL option, but that's just my anxiety talking.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If Romo reaches his potential as a consistent and reliable top4 defensman This will be a good trade.

Sign him to a cheap 1-3 bridge and hopfully that can allow us the wiggle room to still make moves.

Reactions: 19 in a row

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's a question about whether this works out, but the plan is clear. Definitely going for a dominant mobile top 4 d. Makes sense.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Was it an Islanders great who said not to judge a defenseman until he played 300 games or something like that?

Romanov has played 150, can skate, hits like a truck, and already has experience playing 20+ minutes a night. He’ll be playing behind Pelech, so he will be ‘insulated’ per se.

This is a nice move, Islanders fan will love him. He has characteristics of a modern day defenseman in the sense that he can move the puck but he won’t hesistate to blow you up if you have you’re head down. Blue collar player with a modern skill set.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This trade works for the cap as well - adding Romanov allows Lou to simply sign Greene and another depth d man at league minimums.

There is still plenty of cap space to add a big F.

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

AlexanderSemin21

Jun 2, 2022
Medellín, Colombia
I thought they were looking for a puck moving D and Romanov is the opposite of that, although i think he is a great player who is loved by the Montreal fan base. Anyway i dont think he is worth that price, and is the third straight year that Lamoriello gives a first round for players that i dont think they deserve that price. Pageau, Palmieri and now Romanov. I think he should have had a better return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad