Confirmed with Link: Islanders Acquire Romanov and 4th Round pick from MTL for '22 First Round Pick (13 Overall)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Does this signing show that we will go all out on Johnny hockey? Low cost defenseman making near minimum which filled a big need for us
I don't think they are related.

NYI traded Toews and then Leddy in consecutive summers, with no internal options in the pipeline (and they got burnt because of it last season). Adding a young puck moving defenseman who can also play in his own zone was a much needed move to keep the train moving.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
This is a good trade that will only age like a fine wine imo. It's an investment and if he can hit his potential on a defensively minded team like the Isles, it'll get a good grade from me. Right now I give it a B with the right to re-evaluate a year or 5 from now

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Love the player. Not a huge fan of the deal. 13th OA is a steep price. Let’s see the contract. He Definitely Fills a big hole. Assuming Romanov and Dobson sign reasonable contracts they might have a bit of money to spend on that last dman.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Got a cheap (he's rfa but can't be expecting too much) YOUNG (just 22) top 4 D to pair with Dobson for the foreseeable future for a pick that may or may not end up better than Romanov is already. I like it. I like it better than moving it for an older UFA to be.

Just have to hope he's interested in coming to the Island, Russian players always have the KHL option, but that's just my anxiety talking.

According to capfriendly, he’s not even regular RFA but 10.2(c). He can only sign with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I like the deal, sure you can argue their might be a few guys at 13 who have higher upside but we basically get a young NHL proven top 4 defenseman back with much less downside.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I thought they were looking for a puck moving D and Romanov is the opposite of that, although i think he is a great player who is loved by the Montreal fan base. Anyway i dont think he is worth that price, and is the third straight year that Lamoriello gives a first round for players that i dont think they deserve that price. Pageau, Palmieri and now Romanov. I think he should have had a better return.
I think we'd all have preferred Chychrun, but....

There may still be additional moves if NYI views Romanov as a defensive defenseman like you seem to imply he is.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
He has great enthusiasm , good skater and has a special gift for knowing exactly when to throw the right check, On the puck I would consider a "raw" talent , he never consistently impressed me with his puck moving abilities. But he has a great upside and is a forsure #4 for any team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
For those who don't like the trade or think we gave up too much, have you seen Romanov skate and hit? He skates like he's 5'9" and hits like he's 6'5".

With a #13 pick in an average draft, you're very happy to get a top 4 defenseman. And he fills a huge hole. He's young. He's relatively cheap. :thumbu:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wouldn’t pencil him in to start with Dobson.

I could see

Pelech-Dobson
Romo-Pulock
I too would like to see these pairing experimented with.

Dobson showed top pairing upside last season and Pulock with Romanov might help each other unlock their upsides.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I like the deal, sure you can argue their might be a few guys at 13 who have higher upside but we basically get a young NHL proven top 4 defenseman back with much less downside.
In letting this sink in, I agree. At 13 we are likely getting a skinny kid 3-4 years away in this draft. We addressed a huge need for right now with a badly needed young experienced and relatively cheap player.

Reactions: 12Dog

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
How much would #13 get paid, for not even playing for a few years?

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I don’t like the trade to say the least and don’t see what makes him worth the 13th overall pick. I guess it’s a move based off the potential of what he could be. But I wouldn’t expect to see so much joy over a trade for potential considering the bickering that has gone on recently over potential in players like Barzal, Beauvillier and Wahlstrom.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Love the player. Not a huge fan of the deal. 13th OA is a steep price. Let’s see the contract. He Definitely Fills a big hole. Assuming Romanov and Dobson sign reasonable contracts they might have a bit of money to spend on that last dman.
Totally agree. A player many of us had targeted and always thought it was going to be Beau going the other way. 13th OA is real steep. I guess I will wait to reserve judgment to see what this lineup looks like on opening night. The bottom line, this team got hemmed in their own zone way too much and still needs a pmd.

Reactions: duster19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad