Confirmed with Link: Islanders Acquire Romanov and 4th Round pick from MTL for '22 First Round Pick (13 Overall)

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
On pace for almost 600 blocked shots . I will trade that for 5-6 goals he will score this season . Let’s just hope one of the blocks is not with his jaw or ankle…. Let’s see how good y’all are . Name my avatar in 10 seconds . No cheating ….LGI
the mail order bride the magazine says wants to meet me?

Reactions: Sparksrus3

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Absolutely not, I’m hoping for a breakout in the second half after the holiday break. I’m willing to give Romanov some time to adjust.

He has all the tools, it’s a matter of developing the toolbox which I think does take time when you have a guy who will hit anything with a pulse.

Sometimes you have guys you need to reel in (like Romanov), while other times you have guys that you need to push to be more active (maybe Salo fits this bill?).

Development is not linear, playing behind guys like Mayfield, Pelech, and Pulock will eventually rub off on Romanov if he is the goods. Plus Lambert is a defensemen whisperer…
That's the optimistic view. And I am hoping you're right. I would also like to point out we gave away a blue chip prospect to get him. I would also like to point out that Toews went for two 2nd round picks. I would also like to point out that this organization does not do a good job identifying diamonds in the rough or value in players. Just some examples of players that they overestimated value of: Palmieri, Pageau, Chara, Greene, Martin, etc. The Isles are obsessed with low ceiling players. It's maddening. Romanov looks like a low ceiling player unfortunately. However, that could change. Time will tell.

Regardless, on a team with few blue chip assets, spending It on a low ceiling player hurts so much.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How is Romanov doing so far this season.
He's exactly as advertised. He's very mobile, really wears down opposing forwards, is okay (not great) with the puck in his own zone (he makes the competent, safe play), and lacks confidence in the offensive zone. I expected him to allow Dobson to do his thing without all of the negative consequences - Romanov is there in defensive transition when NYI turn it over with Dobson up.

He hasn't done anything much more than that. I hope he'll get more confident offensively as time goes on, because playing with Dobson, he's often left open. He hasn't yet done anything with that.

In short, he's a solid #4. I hope NYI get more out of him for a 1st round pick, but I think the consensus is that he's meeting expectations to start.

He's shown less proclivity to wander/freelance defensively since the season started. NYI still have the 'do your job/don't try to do too much' defensive mentality, and I think he's getting acclimated to that.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How is Romanov doing so far this season.
He’s doing well. He’s a young defenseman, who in our first 3 games was kinda running around all over the place-playing like a wild man. The last 4 games he’s really become a stalwart on our defense-not trying to blast anyone through the boards, he plays with structure, doesn’t leave his D partner to guess where he should position himself. I’m really satisfied with his play.

Reactions: Throttle

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He's exactly as advertised. He's very mobile, really wears down opposing forwards, is okay (not great) with the puck in his own zone (he makes the competent, safe play), and lacks confidence in the offensive zone. I expected him to allow Dobson to do his thing without all of the negative consequences - Romanov is there in defensive transition when NYI turn it over with Dobson up.

He hasn't done anything much more than that. I hope he'll get more confident offensively as time goes on, because playing with Dobson, he's often left open. He hasn't yet done anything with that.

In short, he's a solid #4. I hope NYI get more out of him for a 1st round pick, but I think the consensus is that he's meeting expectations to start.

He's shown less proclivity to wander/freelance defensively since the season started. NYI still have the 'do your job/don't try to do too much' defensive mentality, and I think he's getting acclimated to that.

Honestly that's a great description of him and accurate to how he was with the habs so I'm hoping you guys are loving him the way we did.

I think he'll improve defensively, he was good with us but I think there is room for improvement there...his giveaways is what hurt him (almost 80 last year, looks like he's pacing for the same this year) but a lot of it also had to do with how bad the entire team was and how bad our system was before the coaching change. Otherwise I find he was making the competent/safe plays like you said.

Offensively is where I find he was frustrating, you can tell the potential is there but it's just the lack of confidence you speak of. We saw flashes of him trying to run the play in the offensive zone, so he's definitely capable.

Either way, I'm sure I'm one of many habs fans who was sad to see him go and hoping he'll settle in nicely. I know a 1st round pick might seem steep but he's a #4 at just 22 years old, even if this is his ceiling, I think this is a great trade for you guys but maybe I'm biased. Here's to hoping it's a win/win because this was essentially a Romanov for Dach trade so we need our guy to pan out too.

He’s doing well. He’s a young defenseman, who in our first 3 games was kinda running around all over the place-playing like a wild man. The last 4 games he’s really become a stalwart on our defense-not trying to blast anyone through the boards, he plays with structure, doesn’t leave his D partner to guess where he should position himself. I’m really satisfied with his play.

Sounds like him alright. One thing I liked about him is that he didn't chase the big hit, if the opportunity came then he took it. He's a smart kid who knows he can't put himself out of position whether it's to lay a hit or because his partner is prone to pinching.

Only thing he needs to learn is how to pinch himself more, the offensive talent is there, someone just needs to help him untap it

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He looks as advertised. His shot blocking and ability to break up plays has stood out to me. Don't see the offensive upside that others have noted, but that's okay as a number 4 reliable (not outstanding), stay-at-home D man.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I to see the defensive upside and also the turnovers. He has work to do.
I think it was a good trade.

I grade the following trades for out first rounders

Pageau - pass
Palmieri, Zajak - fail
Romanov - pass and perhaps best of the three

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I to see the defensive upside and also the turnovers. He has work to do.
I think it was a good trade.

I grade the following trades for out first rounders

Pageau - pass
Palmieri, Zajak - fail
Romanov - pass and perhaps best of the three

The trade itself was for Palms and Zajac to be a part of the 2021 playoff run. They both made significant impacts for a long playoff run, so from that perspective I would still consider it a pass. Lou took a swing and it almost worked, you just ran into a dynasty buzz-saw.

The long term contract signing of Palms is separate.

Last edited:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I think he's been pretty good all things considered...he's got less than 150 NHL games under his belt.

Reactions: Mike C

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I think he's been pretty good all things considered...he's got less than 150 NHL games under his belt.

He seems to be settling down in the defensive zone, early on he was running around the zone alot, looking to lay the nosy every chance he gets. Now he is playing more responsible, within the system, and picking his spots to lay a hit. Really like the way his game has been coming along lately.

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He seems to be settling down in the defensive zone, early on he was running around the zone alot, looking to lay the nosy every chance he gets. Now he is playing more responsible, within the system, and picking his spots to lay a hit. Really like the way his game has been coming along lately.
He had a nice game tonight. He gets deked out a fair amount. Gets caught either leaning wrong way or flat footed. Once he learns to play the man better, he'll be studly

Reactions: WangMustGo

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Looking back at the trade, and its timing, I really think that NYI's scouts were telling LL that all of the prospects on their top tier would be gone by #13. Looks like there's a pretty significant drop-off after Mintyukov, and if they'd had a chance at Kasper or Korchinski, I really don't know if they'd make the trade. Korchinski, in particular, seems to be a savant.

The guy I really liked for the draft was Nazar, who was picked with our pick. And he's out for most of the year (knee injury, I think).

The trade, looked at as a bet, looks good right now.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Big Romanov fan. I look forward to seeing what he's like when he's 25. I think he'll have calmed down and learned from experience and be very solid.

We all wonder about how much offense he'll end up having. Just have to wait and see. One thing he's already good at, if you haven't seen it already, is headmaning the puck from his own zone. He can find forwards at the other blue line like an NFL QB for scoring chances. And when he's playing with confidence he's always looking to do that.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
if you haven't seen it already, is headmaning the puck from his own zone. He can find forwards at the other blue line like an NFL QB for scoring chances. And when he's playing with confidence he's always looking to do that.
Maybe, but I hope he realizes (he seems to) that less is more when he is playing with Noah Dobson, who is approaching star status based on how quickly he moves the puck up the ice.

Reactions: 26Mats

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think this game against the Blues might have been his best so far. Seemed very confident and made many sly little plays while dishing out several portions of the Romoshoulder.

Haven't been certain about what his upside really is, but he's growing on me.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Big Romanov fan. I look forward to seeing what he's like when he's 25. I think he'll have calmed down and learned from experience and be very solid.

We all wonder about how much offense he'll end up having. Just have to wait and see. One thing he's already good at, if you haven't seen it already, is headmaning the puck from his own zone. He can find forwards at the other blue line like an NFL QB for scoring chances. And when he's playing with confidence he's always looking to do that.
Fortunately for the Islanders, at this time they are getting decent offense from their defensemen without looking to Romanov for goals.

Dobson and Romanov seem to have become more cohesive. I guess it takes a few games to learn each other's tendencies. They seem to have it down pat now.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad