Sportsnet: Islanders ‘likely to offer’ 8-year deal to John Tavares

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
that sinking ship, you know, with the top 10 prospect pool they have.

....and a coach who took over a last place team(at the time) and brought them almost to the playoffs. Second best record in the league the 2nd half of the season. Yea, the future is bleak. :help:

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have good information that he wants to go to Toronto if the Leafs are willing to make him an offer. Childhood dream of playing for the Leafs and his girlfriend is from Toronto .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
don't think there is, and honestly i think jt is a guy who would take a discount, but why would you take one if you don't have to. just think about your own job, if you got less money than you felt you deserved i doubt you would be happy about it.

if you have to take less then you're not giving a discount

JT will re sign and guarantee himself a max term and an over payment , he'll then request a trade if he wants out down the road .

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Because you don't trade a franchise player for a package of middling players. Fabbri is a good player, but outside of him there's not much there. Isles have a deep prospect pool, picks aren't exactly what they would be looking for. Isles need good young players that could be top line players one day.

If it was a sign and trade the isles would get full value for JT, and at full value a young defenseman like Parayko has to be coming back.

You don't know that it would be a sign and trade and Tavares isn't getting you a Parayko player. If it does from another team, it will come with little else. It's been pretty clear that you need top end D to win the Stanley Cup right now. Parayko is on his way to becoming that and partially already is.

Islanders fans who think Tavares will bring back a huge haul in a sign and trade are right...to an extent. I don't think they are going to get those franchise changing players, ala Forsberg for Latta and Erat. The Islanders will get 1-2 good NHL players, 1-2 good to very good prospects and probably 2 picks, most likely first rounders in a sign and trade.

They need to rebuild their team and that starts with trading a guy like Tavares. I understand they have a good prospect pool, but can Tavares wait until he's in his mid thirties for those players to flourish and help? I don't think Fabbri is the logical choice for the Blues to trade in that deal, mainly because of his injury. Schwartz, Kyrou or Thompson, Walman or Dunn, and two first rounders is probably what the Blues would come with, if DA is smart and doesn't low ball Snow.

Schwartz is an outstanding player to teach younger players the right way to play. He's not elite, but he's a great player. Constant 50-60 point player. Kyrou has LOADS of potential to be a scoring forward. He can't do more in juniors and deserves to be on an NHL team (IMO). Walman or Dunn are both going to be good NHL defensemen. NYI need to reload and add to those already good prospects, and in two to three years will be ready to compete. IF Tavares wants to win while in his prime, he will not stay with the Islanders. I'm not saying he'll come to the Blues, but he will go somewhere where he can win, or at least have a consistent shot.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, sinking ship. Prime years from players are 23-26. Prospect pool is young, by the time they hit their prime, Tavares will be 31.

I don't see a single game breaking prospect on the Isles. Beauviellier, Ho Sang, Barzal etc are going to be good top nine players but expecting them to become stars is unrealistic. MDC is half way to bust.

"All of your teams prospects won't hit their potential" is my second favorite hfboards argument behind "all of my teams prospects will 100% hit their potential".

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I have good information that he wants to go to Toronto if the Leafs are willing to make him an offer. Childhood dream of playing for the Leafs and his girlfriend is from Toronto .

He's coming to Toronto. I have it on good authority. You heard it here 1st!!!

e2cb5786-b19e-49d0-81bd-243f1880e88b_1.9717ab9851517536c8166e01052fba2b.jpeg

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Uh - the part where you get a 26 year old superstar center? :help:

A rebuilding team 1 year removed from picking first are moving a 20 year old 60+ point forward, their top D prospect (A team need) and a pick for a guy in his prime who will be declining and over paid by the time the rest of the team hits their stride?

It makes no sense.

"All of your teams prospects won't hit their potential" is my second favorite hfboards argument behind "all of my teams prospects will 100% hit their potential".

However that's true. It's true for everyone. Even Toronto with all their rookie success have players we hyped who are failing. Bracco for example.

Let's be real, Islanders draft history the last 5 years has not been the best. Not saying all their prospects will bust, but some will, some will not hit their ceiling, and some will get there.

Teams usually play their best right after a new coach. We'll need to see next year, but the truth is the team is inconsistent, and has been for a while now.

On top of that, other teams have younger/better teams or equal prospect pools and can offer JT a spot.

He's coming to Toronto. I have it on good authority. You heard it here 1st!!!

e2cb5786-b19e-49d0-81bd-243f1880e88b_1.9717ab9851517536c8166e01052fba2b.jpeg

This thread is unbearable. I've seen maybe 1 Leaf fan act like he is coming here, while 99% of Leaf fans keep repeating over and over we don't need him.

Yet people keep pretending we are drooling over him. Why? Not sure, maybe they are used to laughing at desperate Leaf fans and haven't gotten used to us having our own players to drool over now?

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
oops sorry forgot to ask your permission to state my opinion.
it's a discussion board, people share their ideas and opinions and that's mine

So you just not gonna defend your argument that I tore apart and pretend it never happened lol?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

Maybe a little insight on where your info comes from?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Pretty sure I saw the same post when Stamkos was an FA

To be fair, which teams did he meet with? He had an offer on the table, did not accept or decline it but said he wanted to wait, went to UFA, talked to the Leafs FO, he wanted more money than they would give him. So he literally left the meeting, and called his agent to see if the Tampa deal was still on the table. It was, and he signed it as the extra year + no tax meant it was the money he wanted in Toronto.

On top of that there were rumors he wanted to be a C and the Leafs couldn't guarantee that. So given that the only other team he met with was Toronto, I would say that rumor was not outrageous.

However this is off topic.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

You must have some good information based on the fact that i graduated high school on Long Island with his girlfriend. She most certainly is not Canadian, but I'll be sure to seek you for good information in the future.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
You must have some good information based on the fact that i graduated high school on Long Island with his girlfriend. She most certainly is not Canadian, but I'll be sure to seek you for good information in the future.

She is canadian and graduated from queens university in ontario and with honours from McMaster university but I'll be sure to seek you for good information in the future. Lol

Last edited:

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Tavares being 26 makes the 8 years more understandable. However, I really don't see why the Islanders would sign him to that big contract. They're very unlikely to win the cup in the next few years where JT is in his prime and you're paying for that prime. So, if you're not winning then make a huge trade, collect some good assets and finish off this semi rebuild with all the good young pieces they have

Isles will get way more value if they trade him after he sign the deal. He will be signed and be granted a wish trade list should thing not improve in a couple of years. He will be still young enough then to be the difference to bring a contending team to the SC.

If you trade him now, you are not going to get enough for his value as he will be a rental. JT can wait out a bit and see how things go for this team. They actually do have some talented prospects on the team and if they get lucky with the 2018 draft they can pick up some more next season (assuming if they fail to make the playoff again).

I think JT respects the Isles enough to get the best of this deal (money wise) and give Isles the opportunity to trade him for good assets down the road should things not go as well as he would like. The money will provide long term security for him and his future family and if he has the right term constructed in the deal he can still ask for a trade down the road that works for both him and the Isles.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Isles will get way more value if they trade him after he sign the deal. He will be signed and be granted a wish trade list should thing not improve in a couple of years. He will be still young enough then to be the difference to bring a contending team to the SC.

If you trade him now, you are not going to get enough for his value as he will be a rental. JT can wait out a bit and see how things go for this team. They actually do have some talented prospects on the team and if they get lucky with the 2018 draft they can pick up some more next season (assuming if they fail to make the playoff again).

I think JT respects the Isles enough to get the best of this deal (money wise) and give Isles the opportunity to trade him for good assets down the road should things not go as well as he would like. The money will provide long term security for him and his future family and if he has the right term constructed in the deal he can still ask for a trade down the road that works for both him and the Isles.

If the Isles re-sign Tavares it will include a retroactive Full NMC that goes into effect immediately.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If the Isles re-sign Tavares it will include a retroactive Full NMC that goes into effect immediately.

at least this one can be voided if he's traded before it kicks in!

HF will finally get this one right..

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

lol not even top 6 top 9... how many times you think he watched ho sang play? I'd bet between 0 and 2

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
at least this one can be voided if he's traded before it kicks in!

HF will finally get this one right..

Well, it can't be voided unless Tavares' agent is a complete failure. They added a change in the 2013 CBA that Extension contracts with a NTC/NMC can have that no trade clause retroactively applied to the current contract. As long as the player would have met the eligibility requirements for a NTC/NMC in the final year of their current deal. Which Tavares does.

Zero possibility Tavares would sign an extension without a full immediately retroactive NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad