Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What (if any) is the next expansion draft Risk for the young guys.

This is from my understanding - it depends what year Seattle come into the league. If it’s 20-21 and both stay up this season there won’t be any issues as Lundestrom and Comtois (and Steel) would be second year professionals and wouldn’t be required to be protected. If it’s 21-22 and they both stay then they would need protecting. Bear in mind if the draft is in 2021 that Getzlaf, Perry and Cogliano will all be unrestricted and we wouldn’t be required to protect them due to NMCs.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
This is from my understanding - it depends what year Seattle come into the league. If it’s 20-21 and both stay up this season there won’t be any issues as Lundestrom and Comtois (and Steel) would be second year professionals and wouldn’t be required to be protected. If it’s 21-22 and they both stay then they would need protecting. Bear in mind if the draft is in 2021 that Getzlaf, Perry and Cogliano will all be unrestricted and we wouldn’t be required to protect them due to NMCs.

Ok thanks

Reactions: Kalv

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Lundestrom should be sent back to Sweden. He doesn't look out of place in the NHL but he's not going to move the needle for the Ducks this season. He's spent his entire career within the Lulea organization and clearly they've developed him well. Loaning him to Lulea will allow him to play top-6 minutes for one of the better SHL teams and give him the opportunity to lead Sweden's WJC team.

He'd almost assuredly be pushed out of the Anaheim lineup once all of Rowney, Kase, Silfverberg, Eaves, and Comtois become available again; no sense in delaying the inevitable, burning a year on his ELC, and exposing him to the tumult that is this tire-fire of a team.

Edit: Stephen's article following the 5-2 loss to Dallas is full of Lundestrom quotes Ryan Getzlaf calls Ducks play 'f***ing embarrassing' in...

Carlyle, on Lundestrom - “To me, he has shown that he has the ability to skate with the NHL-level people. He’s a strong skater. He plays. He’s not intimidated by what’s going on out there. He controls the puck in certain situations where you’d expect him to protect the puck. And he’s shown an ability to play all three forward positions. We’ve tried to integrate him on the penalty killing. He seems to have grasped that. We’ve played him at left wing, we’ve played him at right wing and he’s a (center). To me, there’s a lot of things in it. At some point, we’re going to have to find a position for him. Because we don’t think it’s justice to play a young player out of his position for an extended period of time. Find a position, find a line for him and put it together. Saying that, it’s not easy when you have numbers that we have that are fluctuating in and out of the lineup.”

Lundestrom - “You need to be a little bit more harder with the puck and do the right things out there. You don’t have much time and you can’t turn off and go back to the D-zone and do a little bit (of that) as in the SHL. It’s harder. It’s tougher and they score much faster, of course. I’ve felt I’m been more and more comfortable with each game I’m playing. And I felt I’ve also done pretty good out on the wing also. So that felt good. I just want to go and play my game and do my best out there. I’m just keeping looking forward. Of course, I know the rules and stuff like that. I can’t do anything about that. I just try to do my best out there.”

Again, I highly encourage everyone to subscribe to the Athletic. The quality of Stephens' coverage has improved significantly.

Last edited:

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Is he getting sent down soon? He’s now played 9 games, and I for one want to see him shine against his peers at the WJC as Sweden’s #1 Center.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m on the fence with that decision. Think there are definite benefits to sending him back to Sweden but he has shown he’s good enough to be an everyday NHLer to this point.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I’m on the fence with that decision. Think there are definite benefits to sending him back to Sweden but he has shown he’s good enough to be an everyday NHLer to this point.
If they make him our 3C and move henrique to the wing then I can get behind it. Not only has he shown that he is NHL ready he has also been one of our most effective players period. That's good and bad.

Reactions: Trojans86

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Confirmed about an hour ago by the agent to his SHL team that he'll stay in NHL.
I like it. Despite the absolute gongshow, he's better served learning against NHL competition. He's certainly well equipped to handle the NHL and still be effective.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I dunno. The last 18 year old we kept on the NHL roster because he was “good enough” turned into Cam Fowler.
That's true, but then again Cam had trouble spots from the beginning. The only issues I see with Lundestrom is with execution (a team wide problem if you ask me) and the occasional brain fart.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That's true, but then again Cam had trouble spots from the beginning. The only issues I see with Lundestrom is with execution (a team wide problem if you ask me) and the occasional brain fart.

An issue for me is that Lundestrom is someone that’s been playing pro hockey for a number of years but has never really been the go to guy for his team. This was the first year he was expected to see big minutes on the PP. For a guy who is as offensively talented as he is he’s never really produced at any level. I think he’s easily good enough to stay in the NHL but he’s better off going somewhere he can be an offensive catalyst and play a shitload of minutes.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
An issue for me is that Lundestrom is someone that’s been playing pro hockey for a number of years but has never really been the go to guy for his team. This was the first year he was expected to see big minutes on the PP. For a guy who is as offensively talented as he is he’s never really produced at any level. I think he’s easily good enough to stay in the NHL but he’s better off going somewhere he can be an offensive catalyst and play a ****load of minutes.

That is for sure an issue. Could have a major role in the SHL.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Don't like the decision. With Kossila healthy again I'd probably be more on board to call him up and give Lundestrom more time. I like what I see from Lundestrom but he only played 10mins against SJS last night so if its going to be like that its a waste.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Don't like the decision. With Kossila healthy again I'd probably be more on board to call him up and give Lundestrom more time. I like what I see from Lundestrom but he only played 10mins against SJS last night so if its going to be like that its a waste.

My hunch is that Steel gets sent down when Rowney returns. Rowney slides into that 4th line spot and Lundy bumps up into Steel's spot on a scoring line.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Does that mean we can send him to the AHL a la Lindholm?

The kid has shown that he isn’t a fish out of water in the NHL, he’s more poised with the puck and in better defensive positions than a majority of our forwards. Yes, he doesn’t move the needle at this point, needs to add strength, make quicker/smarter decisions, and all of the other things that 99.9% of 18 year olds need to work on. We always want Murray to make that “big move” so it’s hard to criticize this decision now because we’ve all been screaming for something similar to this for years.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Same boat as Comtois. 1st year of the entry contract has been burned, but they now have until the 40th game played to decide if they want to return him to Sweden to retain age 27 UFA eligibility.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
An issue for me is that Lundestrom is someone that’s been playing pro hockey for a number of years but has never really been the go to guy for his team. This was the first year he was expected to see big minutes on the PP. For a guy who is as offensively talented as he is he’s never really produced at any level. I think he’s easily good enough to stay in the NHL but he’s better off going somewhere he can be an offensive catalyst and play a ****load of minutes.
I agree with this. He has a lot of the tools, especially skating, but he needs to develop his playmaking, vision and creativity. If you combined his skating and puck possession with Steels vision passing and shooting you would have an a+ prospect. Being the go to guy in the shl or AHL would be good for his development. If I were RC I'd put him with our playmakers to develop that.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Like what other people have said, I think my main issue is that he’s smart enough to be a bottom-6 center, and RC looks totally fine with keeping him that way.

Sure, he plays a solid defensive game. That should be a backpocket skill set until proven otherwise - we need to see more of his offensive skills, and if that means top 6 time in the SHL, so be it.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The best thing for his development is probably for him to agree to go to the AHL. He can play power play and top line there. Adjusting to the smaller rink is really important and he doesn't get that experience in Sweden.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad