Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I hear the Ducks haven’t released Lundestrom to Team Sweden yet. That might be a good thing.

Sweden lost all 3 of its U20 Junior matches in November while icing about 90% of their WJC roster. They only scored 2 goals in these 3 games while giving up about a dozen.

Many Swedish fans are unhappy with their U20 coach (who was suspended for the first 2 WJC games). Their team is also missing high end talent at forward. There is no Petterson or Nylander for Lundestrom to play with this year. Not even a Lias Andersson.

If that wasn’t enough, top defenceman Timothy Liljegren of Sweden just suffered a high ankle sprain, ruling him out of the WJC.

I now fully believe Isac Lundestrom is better served with an extra month of pro AHL hockey under his belt rather than going through with the amateur hour tournament that Sweden’s WJC is slowly turning out to be.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
I hear the Ducks haven’t released Lundestrom to Team Sweden yet. That might be a good thing.

Sweden lost all 3 of its U20 Junior matches in November while icing about 90% of their WJC roster. They only scored 2 goals in these 3 games while giving up about a dozen.

Many Swedish fans are unhappy with their U20 coach (who was suspended for the first 2 WJC games). Their team is also missing high end talent at forward. There is no Petterson or Nylander for Lundestrom to play with this year. Not even a Lias Andersson.

If that wasn’t enough, top defenceman Timothy Liljegren of Sweden just suffered a high ankle sprain, ruling him out of the WJC.

I now fully believe Isac Lundestrom is better served with an extra month of pro AHL hockey under his belt rather than going through with the amateur hour tournament that Sweden’s WJC is slowly turning out to be.

I hope he goes. Swedens team is actually not that bad and if I were Lundestrom id be pretty disappontied if I were promised NHL or SHL and wound up with AHL and no WJC

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Perhaps it's better for his development to feel some pressure and be expected to be the superstar for that team at the amateur level. He's definitely going to have high expectations put on him in the NHL.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I miss watching this guy. Reads the game so well.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I hope he goes. Swedens team is actually not that bad and if I were Lundestrom id be pretty disappontied if I were promised NHL or SHL and wound up with AHL and no WJC

They are not terrible but there is no real offensive talent for him to play with this year, and they just lost arguably their top defenceman. If Lundestrom doesn’t go this is a quarterfinal exit team.

Worst of all, they are poorly coached, even the Swedish fans agree. That is less than ideal for development than playing pro hockey in the AHL.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They are not terrible but there is no real offensive talent for him to play with this year, and they just lost arguably their top defenceman. If Lundestrom doesn’t go this is a quarterfinal exit team.

Worst of all, they are poorly coached, even the Swedish fans agree. That is less than ideal for development than playing pro hockey in the AHL.

Is playing in the AHL even an option this year? My understanding is that he is on loan from his SHL team and would have to go back there if he doesn't play in the NHL this year. Am I wrong?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Is playing in the AHL even an option this year? My understanding is that he is on loan from his SHL team and would have to go back there if he doesn't play in the NHL this year. Am I wrong?

That was supposedly the agreement but he's been playing in the AHL so that's over. It was the same thing with Lindholm. Bob will get his way.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This guy at age 19 (i think) was much more effective than Kesler. I know it's probably not good for his development though.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
This guy at age 19 (i think) was much more effective than Kesler. I know it's probably not good for his development though.

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the roster late in the season, but I think that this opportunity is important for his development. Hopefully he just dominates that tournament, comes back to SD full of confidence tearing up the AHL and basically forcing his way on to the NHL roster. If he doesn't dominate the tournament, I have my built in sample size argument ready to go.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
There’s no point in playing him in the NHL this season. You have to blow people away to justify being in the league as a teenager

He was handled correctly
While I agree with the first half of your post (and don't explicitly disagree with the second half), I think Lundestrom could have been handled more correctly.

From an asset management and player development perspective, I argue Lundestrom would have been better off getting his 9-game look in the NHL then being sent back to the SHL, particularly with the expansion draft on the horizon.

Yes, Lundestrom didn't look out of place in the NHL but it was evident he'd be reassigned elsewhere once players returned from injuries. Yes, reassigning Lundestrom to the AHL would allow Anaheim to more closely handle his development but between San Diego being a subpar team, Lulea being the top-SHL team, and the expansion draft on the horizon (at which point, Lundestrom now is exposed to), the calculus, in my opinion, favors Lundestrom playing the bulk of his season in Sweden.

Do the pros of Lundestrom staying in North America this season justify the risk of adding another forward to our list of exposed players? Hard to say.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
While I agree with the first half of your post (and don't explicitly disagree with the second half), I think Lundestrom could have been handled more correctly.

From an asset management and player development perspective, I argue Lundestrom would have been better off getting his 9-game look in the NHL then being sent back to the SHL, particularly with the expansion draft on the horizon.

Yes, Lundestrom didn't look out of place in the NHL but it was evident he'd be reassigned elsewhere once players returned from injuries. Yes, reassigning Lundestrom to the AHL would allow Anaheim to more closely handle his development but between San Diego being a subpar team, Lulea being the top-SHL team, and the expansion draft on the horizon (at which point, Lundestrom now is exposed to), the calculus, in my opinion, favors Lundestrom playing the bulk of his season in Sweden.

Lundestrom should have not had played 10 or 11 games this year. He also could have stayed with the AHL club, which is what occurred with Lindholm. We're paying the price for trying to keep afloat with keep Lundestrom past game 10. We're fortunate that Comtois was injured on game 10. If he played his 11th game, then he'd be subjected to the expansion draft.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wouldn't worry about Lundestrom in regards to Expansion Draft:
Seattle will have its heart set on a D-man since they take longer to develop & if Larsson turns out well they could just make a trade to ensure that Seattle takes Larsson & not any of the other talented players left exposed.
It would seem the next few drafts the Ducks will be drafting D-men in the early rounds & those guys will be in the AHL by the time the expansion draft happens.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wouldn't worry about Lundestrom in regards to Expansion Draft:
Seattle will have its heart set on a D-man since they take longer to develop & if Larsson turns out well they could just make a trade to ensure that Seattle takes Larsson & not any of the other talented players left exposed.
It would seem the next few drafts the Ducks will be drafting D-men in the early rounds & those guys will be in the AHL by the time the expansion draft happens.

It would suck to lose Larsson, tbh. Larsson can be a second pairing D-man. I'd rather package Mahura + 4th rounder to Seattle than lose Larsson. Maybe my mind might change in 2021 because of who we have drafted between now and then. It's too far away to think, but we really shouldn't have exposed Lundestrom if we could have prevented it.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It would suck to lose Larsson, tbh. Larsson can be a second pairing D-man. I'd rather package Mahura + 4th rounder to Seattle than lose Larsson. Maybe my mind might change in 2021 because of who we have drafted between now and then. It's too far away to think, but we really shouldn't have exposed Lundestrom if we could have prevented it.
We have to cross our fingers players develop well & the D-men they'll draft in 2019 develop well.
Bob seems to find those shutdown 2nd pair type guys like Larsson, Petterssen on Pittsburgh is already playing like their 4th best D-man, he made a nice save to stonewall the Capitals.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
On his way back to Sweden, pending approval from Ducks Management. From the local newspaper Kuriren today (Google Translate, I'm lazy):

On Thursday came the message. Isac Lundeström wants to go back to Luleå Hockey. Now the club is waiting for decision from the NHL club "It is soon clear what goes," says sports manager Stefan "Shadow" Nilsson.

Wwithin the next 24 hours Lulea Hockey might prepare for the return of Isac Lundeström.
- We are working very hard right now for this to be solved, says Lulea Sports Manager Stefan Nilsson to Sporten.
And now there is a big difference from the past.
The Gallivare son has himself opened for playing.
- Isac has a desire to play here in the spring.
Did he say that?
- He has said that. So then we will make sure so he can do it too. I hope it will be resolved within the next day.
You sound positive.
- I am positive that Isac has made a positive decision to finish the season here, so it is clear that I am very positive. But then Anaheim has to decide whether to play in the NHL or if they release him.
A decision that the sports manager does not want to wait for much longer.
- It was said so before the junior WC that a decision would be made during the tournament and now it is over for Sweden's part. Then I mean that we must get a definite message now, says Stefan Nilsson and states.
- Either it comes today or tomorrow. It is soon clear [what will happen].
And "Shadow" does not believe that Lundestrom is relevant to the NHL team.
- This is my own one-eyed opinion but I see it as quite a big chance that he will play with us. But as I said, nothing is clear yet and I don't want to cry out loud. Well, I don't see that they have space in Anaheim. Now things have gone pretty well for them lately and they have gotten back players.
Nils Lundkvist and assistant coach, Henrik Stridh, are already available to the game againts Växjo. The duo is already on their way home from Canada and land in Lulea on Friday afternoon.

With regards to how he played in the WJC, it's probably best for him to get back to SHL. I just can't see that he's developed much in NHL/AHL over these last 4 months, at least offensively he was almost a non-factor in WJC20 while last year he was the driving force behind the #1 scoring line in the club and also had a much better WJC20 appearance.

In SHL he'll get to play in a top club, currently 2nd in the league, for a coach known for developing excellent work ethic and a fast moving offense, but with a clear need for a 1-2C especially for the playoffs. Plenty of opportunities to pick up and develop from where he left, and also a good chance to go far in the playoffs. The decision should be easy for the Ducks.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
dont mind lundestrum going back to sweden at all. let him be comfortable and grow he's still super young and right now i think comfort would be more beneficial to his development. instead of worrying about learning and getting adapted to NA (lifestyle), just focus on hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad