Player Discussion Is Zack Smith the real deal?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hey, you know who the right winger with Legwand and Smith was to start the year? Stone. And IIRC, MacLean essentially had Legwand playing 2nd line centre to start that year, or at least splitting it with Zibanejad.

And even if their numbers are good, as you mentioned, it's still a small sample size, and what happens when Smith's shooting percentage drops, as even you think it will? Even if it goes down to 12 (so still better than his norm), are we really going to stick the team's best forward in Stone with this guy regularly?

Hey, you know how many mins stone played with Smith before that 19 Nov deadline when he went back with Michalek and Neil? 17 mins. 9 Mins with Ryan. Don't try to tell me Smith had awesome linemates but failed, that's a bold faced lie.

Truth is, Z Smith has been used in a defensive/grinding role, and had the linemates to go along with it. He's not a star player or anything, but his past numbers are more reflective of the role he played than the specific player he is.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Hey, you know how many mins stone played with Smith before that 19 Nov deadline when he went back with Michalek and Neil? 17 mins. 9 Mins with Ryan. Don't try to tell me Smith had awesome linemates but failed, that's a bold faced lie.

Truth is, Z Smith has been used in a defensive/grinding role, and had the linemates to go along with it. He's not a star player or anything, but his past numbers are more reflective of the role he played than the specific player he is.

So what now, Smith has finally shed his cocoon and become a beautiful butterfly with the right linemates? :laugh: Forgive me while I don't hold my breath that a guy finally broke out after over 350 games while shooting double what he normally does. So who else was Smith playing with prior to November 19 that resulted in his measly 2 points in 17 games, which even by his standards is pretty bad?

Question of the thread is "Is Zack Smith the real deal?" Seems more like a bottom 6 guy who got lucky with the right linemates than any "real deal."

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So what now, Smith has finally shed his cocoon and become a beautiful butterfly with the right linemates? :laugh: Forgive me while I don't hold my breath that a guy finally broke out after over 350 games while shooting double what he normally does. So who else was Smith playing with prior to November 19 that resulted in his measly 2 points in 17 games, which even by his standards is pretty bad?

Question of the thread is "Is Zack Smith the real deal?" Seems more like a bottom 6 guy who got lucky with the right linemates than any "real deal."

No one thinks he's the "real deal".

Overall people seem to agree with the assessment that Smith performed very well in an offensive role when given the proper line mates and deployed accordingly. Let's see where this goes next season.

Yet here you are, fighting a battle no one cares about over stats from over a year ago. Pipe down.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
And yeah, Condra's line having good Corsi numbers kinda suggests they were good. Goal scoring isn't the only way to be a good contributer in the NHL.

But it remains the best way.

Until out shooting your opponent results in wins I will take the person who can bury the puck any day.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
But it remains the best way.

Until out shooting your opponent results in wins I will take the person who can bury the puck any day.

And guess what? Odds are if you outshoot an opponent you'll score more than them. Not a guarantee, but it gives the team a better chance. And to Smith's credit, as he got more confident, he shot more often. Still benefitted from a high % that he's unlikely to repeat. So end of the day, he's likely a bottom 6 player, not the "real deal."

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If he keeps finding ways to get to the front of the net he will continue to score when given the opportunity.

His % may well go down but he may end up with a lot more shots this season from prime scoring areas and keep the same goal pace.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
If he keeps finding ways to get to the front of the net he will continue to score when given the opportunity.

His % may well go down but he may end up with a lot more shots this season from prime scoring areas and keep the same goal pace.

And I'm guessing this will happen regardless of the linemates he has? Or what will happen when he doesn't have Stone feeding him?

David Clarkson also went to the dirty areas for prime scoring chances. How did that work out long term again? XD

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And I'm guessing this will happen regardless of the linemates he has? Or what will happen when he doesn't have Stone feeding him?

David Clarkson also went to the dirty areas for prime scoring chances. How did that work out long term again? XD

So what though? We're not giving him a new contract this summer so we don't have to worry about paying big bucks for a flash in the pan year, and we don't have to navigate the pros and cons of a hoffman-like show year contract.

All we need to do is continue to put ZS in a position to succeed, essentially keeping a red hot line together, going into next year and see how they do. It's just common sense considering no tough choices have to be made.

One thing is certain, we're not trading a 25 goal scorer in the off season for a second rounder, he's worth more to us as a top 9 forward and one of the few on our team that crashes the net. More importantly there is absolutely no need to do anything! He wants to be here and is showing success, and the team wants him here, especially given his recent success.

Case closed.

The stuff about Condra is just silly.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's crazy that everytime something positive happens, some people are spending a lot of energy in trying to shoot it down even if it becomes irrational. Let's call this "opposition" I guess.

Neither of your links suggest Smith lobbied Mac to put him on wing. He just says they talked about it at the end of season meeting. He has always been a good team guy so he said whatever helps the team.

Condra in no way, shape or form could be considered and offensive catalyst. He shot from the wall all the time but yes of course that line did get some good opportunities, as infrequent as they were.

Obviously I meant Smith and if you want to call Stone's line the 3rd simply because Smith would be on it go ahead. They were our #1 line on many occasions last year.

If only scoring in the NHL was so easy...get a few flukey goals and then bingo! You now have 25. That is so short sighted.

Look we disagree - you are looking for every reason to suggest Smith is no good but I am of the opinion his skills were put in a position to be maximized last season and I would like to see that continue.

I asked Daniel Carr of the Habs a few months ago while he was injured "what is it to play in the NHL", the first thing he told me was "it's freaking hard to score"

He had 6 goals in 23 games only in his rookie season.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Who knows what will happen with Smith next season. Yes, he had an unsustainable shooting percentage, but didn't Hoffman have one as well this season?

Doubt he gets top six minutes next season being that MacArthur will likely be back next season, but i wouldn't be surprised if Smith gets put right back in the top 6 if MacArthur or anyone else in the top six gets injured.

Last edited:

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
In his two full seasons, Hoffman has had shooting percentages of 13.6% and 12.0%.

In his six full seasons, Smith's shooting percentage has been 5.1%, 10.4%, 4.3%, 8.4%, 5.3% and 20.7%.

Hoffman might lose a couple points from his shooting percentage. However, increased ice time under Boucher might keep his goal total stable. Smith, meanwhile, looks like his goal total is poised to be cut in half next year, or worse.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
In his two full seasons, Hoffman has had shooting percentages of 13.6% and 12.0%.

In his six full seasons, Smith's shooting percentage has been 5.1%, 10.4%, 4.3%, 8.4%, 5.3% and 20.7%.

Hoffman might lose a couple points from his shooting percentage. However, increased ice time under Boucher might keep his goal total stable. Smith, meanwhile, looks like his goal total is poised to be cut in half next year, or worse.

I don't think anyone is arguing that his sh% has to go down but IF he can remain on that line and they have the same chemistry I don't see why he wouldn't be near the same goal total.

That line played together for what...a little more than 1/4 of the season? Maybe 1/3?

I hope the coaches let's them start the season and see how they produce.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he is a reliable player that would be on the 3rd line and could slide up to the 2nd line if needed.

If that makes him the real deal... then I guess he is.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think he is a reliable player that would be on the 3rd line and could slide up to the 2nd line if needed.

If that makes him the real deal... then I guess he is.

Smith went from a bottom sixer, to a middle sixer.

He brings an element that the Sens lack up front, so i think he fits in nicely. How much is going to want as a UFA is the question, he could price his way out of the roster but that's the way she goes.

If they can lock him up to a fair contract, I'm all for keeping him in the fold.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'll eat crow on this one. Smith has been an integral part of our team.

Would love to be able to spot him on the 3rd line, but he has far surpassed my expectations (they weren't high, I was a very vocal Smith critic). Glad he's proven me wrong, he's been a gamer all season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll eat crow on this one. Smith has been an integral part of our team.

Would love to be able to spot him on the 3rd line, but he has far surpassed my expectations (they weren't high, I was a very vocal Smith critic). Glad he's proven me wrong, he's been a gamer all season.

I'll eat crow on Zack Smith as well.

He's become a pretty irreplaceable player for this team.

In my eyes, he morphed from a Neil/Varada type to a Mike Fisher type.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What happens when you dont play with guys like Neil and Greening ,for 100 Bob:handclap:

What happens when you work on your skating when you have a broken wrist.

Now Dzingel and Pageau have to work on their shots and Ceci has to work on his upper body strength.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What happens when you work on your skating when you have a broken wrist.

Now Dzingel has to work on his shot and Ceci has to work on his upper body strength.
For sure ,but its not like he was a complete dud out there like many before had claimed either.He always had the game ,its just showing more with as you said some work on some skill areas.And being away from guys that couldnt help him evolve

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Smith is going to be protected from expansion. No doubt in my mind. Dorian has a love affair with Pageau.

Dzingel will be exposed.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Smith is going to be protected from expansion. No doubt in my mind. Dorian has a love affair with Pageau.

Dzingel will be exposed.

The way Dzingel fought last night, his passion. His speed.

If we lose Dzingel, I'm going to be so god damn pissed.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Love Smith. Favourite current Sen.

The way Dzingel fought last night, his passion. His speed.

If we lose Dzingel, I'm going to be so god damn pissed.

Well someone will have to be exposed on F if we make a big fish trade for a player with term. If we don't, Dizzy stands to be protected as the 7th forward. Smith has absolutely earned his spot to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad