Player Discussion Is Zack Smith the real deal?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He had a great season. Probably not the real deal but if shows consistency next season, he'll prove me wrong.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I genuinely think this season is a massive anomaly...

I'm not expecting anything close to what he produced this season.

Agreed, for the most part.

Assuming MacArthur is healthy to start in September, Smith is not going to continue getting the same ice time on the left side, and won't be playing with the same caliber of players. Plus, you know, the whole "career anomaly" thing when you look at the rest of his stats, ever.

Do I think he will be better next year than he was for the entirety of 2012-15? Yes. He's clearly shown some growth as a player since then, that much seems obvious. But he's not a regular 25 goal scorer. He'll settle in to being somewhere half way in between the late-season revelation he was this year, and the frustrating player we saw for the three years prior.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Another good year like this one and he's looking at a 5-6 year deal in the 15-20 million range

Smith is trade bait with our budget

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh he was always a player that could score 15 or so goals ,him gaining some confidence.And playing in a bigger role suits him nicely ,i love that pair of him an JGP .We need to find a good RW that can mesh with them for next season though ,as Stone will be in the top 6 :handclap:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Should be treated like Hoffman. Prove me again year, which I doubt he can repeat. Still very solid bottom 6 player though. I'd like to keep him if he doesn't price himself out of Ottawa.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Assuming MacArthur is healthy to start in September, Smith is not going to continue getting the same ice time on the left side, and won't be playing with the same caliber of players.
Plus, you know, the whole "career anomaly" thing when you look at the rest of his stats, ever.

Do I think he will be better next year than he was for the entirety of 2012-15? Yes. He's clearly shown some growth as a player since then, that much seems obvious. But he's not a regular 25 goal scorer. He'll settle in to being somewhere half way in between the late-season revelation he was this year, and the frustrating player we saw for the three years prior.

Exactly. Assuming decent health in the top 6, Smith simply won't get the opportunity to hit 25 goals again.

I think our third line next year will be killer with Smith on the wing. He's elevated his status from a bonafide 4th to 3rd liner for sure.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Assuming Lazar get to be a real Centre under the new coach, I'm guessing Dzingel or Ryan would take that spot. White as a dark horse

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Should be treated like Hoffman. Prove me again year, which I doubt he can repeat. Still very solid bottom 6 player though. I'd like to keep him if he doesn't price himself out of Ottawa.
Smith probably knows he isnt going to get 25 goal man money ,he loves it here .I dont think he will be that hard to resign TBH

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Just to play a little bit of a devil's advocate... any thoughts on selling high on Smith? He's had a great year and shown to be a great player when provided opportunity, but all too often I find teams hold on to players after such 'anomaly' years, only to have to pay them what they did in the past... too rarely do teams roll the dice and sell high taking the risk that he actually replicates the same numbers but with a different team... I like Smitty, seems like he's great for the Sens... but room still needs to be made for the future, and he's worth more now than ever.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I genuinely think this season is a massive anomaly...

I'm not expecting anything close to what he produced this season.

The thing is, it really isn't. The guy looked like he was on the way to becoming an elite third line center a few years back before he got KO'd on our California road trip.

Then for the next few seasons he looked like someone Space Jam'd his hockey skills, then sometime this year, the Looney Tunes characters finally won their hockey game against the bad guys and returned Smith's skills or something.

It's so weird.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Just to play a little bit of a devil's advocate... any thoughts on selling high on Smith? He's had a great year and shown to be a great player when provided opportunity, but all too often I find teams hold on to players after such 'anomaly' years, only to have to pay them what they did in the past... too rarely do teams roll the dice and sell high taking the risk that he actually replicates the same numbers but with a different team... I like Smitty, seems like he's great for the Sens... but room still needs to be made for the future, and he's worth more now than ever.

The time to do that would have been at the deadline. Best to just sit on him for now and see where he goes. If he plays like expected (back to 8% Shooting, slow footed, prone to horrible penalties) then we already have his replacement being groomed in Nick Paul. Let him walk next offseason. If he plays well by some miracle and the team sucks again, trade him next deadline as a rental.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
SELL HIGH!

A replaceable cog and you cash in on them when they post numbers.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think at this point you're keeping Smith and see how he does next year. The time to sell is gone since you're likely getting nothing more than a pick that won't probably be in the league until Karlsson is 30. Might as well roll with Smith and maybe he can be a valuable 3rd liner next year with him and Pageau together.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
I think Smith's production was definitely inflated, however I still think he could remain in our top 6 and at the very minimum 3rd line wing with PP time. I have a sneaking suspision that MacArthur comes back slow, or has lost a step.

And if we do land Julien we know he likes guys with a physical edge, who will play on the edge. He could drastically reshuffle our lines.

Spitballing here but hows this look to you guys:

Hoff, Turris, Stone (can't ignore this line)
Smith, Zibby, Ryan
Mac, Pageau, Robinson (Julien likes em big and mean)
Lazar, Paul, Neil
Dzingle

Methot, Karlsson
Phanuef, Ceci
Claesson, Wideman/Harpur

Anderson
Hammond

This is assuming we don't pay up for any free agents, and Dorian gets Hoff signed, and continues to show his brass in letting Chiassong and Wierdcrotch walk.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Reality is a guy like Smith is replaceable organizationaly. I think you move him for a pick especially if you can package that pick with other resources to truly upgrade your forward unit.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Smith moved from the 4th line who's job it was to dump the puck and forecheck hard. And Pageau's job description changed from defensive forward who shuts down the other team's top lines to the best line on the team when Turris went down. I think these guys play great together and should stay. What offensive numbers they put up will depend on what role they are given. Personally, I would let them fight it out with Zibby's line as to who is 2nd and 3rd line.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Assuming MacArthur is healthy to start in September, Smith is not going to continue getting the same ice time on the left side, and won't be playing with the same caliber of players. Plus, you know, the whole "career anomaly" thing when you look at the rest of his stats, ever.

It depends who he plays with, doesn't it? So many times on here I read how great this player will be if they play him with better players & the same is true for Smith or anybody else. If he plays next season with Pageau & especially Stone then maybe he repeats with another 20 goal season, he does have a decent shot. Even if he plays with Turris or Zibanejad he will do better than on the 4th line. Regardless, I'm not sure that whoever they put together this team ends up with a legitimate top line.

However, if they prefer to play him as a checking forward on the 3rd or 4th line without a playmaker on the line then obviously he won't get another 20 goal season. However, I do think Smith & Pageau will continue to be excellent on the PK & could again lead the NHL in PK shorties. I think the Sens have enough good players to make at least three good lines IF certain players get serious about their conditioning, their work ethic & park their egos at the door.

Smith - Zibanejad - Ryan
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Pageau - Lazar
Dzingel/Puempel - Paul - Chiasson/Neil

Last edited:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Let's say Smith doesn't repeat, but posts a 15 goal, 10 assist season. How much are you willing to give him to resign?

I'd do 4yrs at 11-13mil, probably not any more. That's a bout 2.75 - 3.25mil a year. I think it's a fair deal for both sides.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I'm continually amazed at how most seem to be missing the obvious...so I will say this.
If Smith plays most of the year with Stone...then yes, he'll have another career year...and if not...well then back to old Zack.

And it wasn't just Zack..Stone improved everybody he played with this past year...all year long, whatever line he was on...was the line that was producing...regardless of what line-mates he had.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm continually amazed at how most seem to be missing the obvious...so I will say this.
If Smith plays most of the year with Stone...then yes, he'll have another career year...and if not...well then back to old Zack.

And it wasn't just Zack..Stone improved everybody he played with this past year...all year long, whatever line he was on...was the line that was producing...regardless of what line-mates he had.

Look up two posts^ Some people must have missed Smith still scoring since Stone went down with injury too, he had two goals against Boston in the last game without Stone. Smith & Pageau seem to be a good tandem together & obviously much better with Stone but if they want Stone on a higher line they will need to find a better RWer than Chiasson to play with them.

On the other hand, if MAC, Turris & Ryan play together & Hoffman, Zibanejad & Dzingel play together than Ottawa could keep Smith, Pageau & Stone together. That would create three decent lines & any one of these lines could be the top line in any given game.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Look up two posts^ Some people must have missed Smith still scoring since Stone went down with injury too, he had two goals against Boston in the last game without Stone. Smith & Pageau seem to be a good tandem together & obviously much better with Stone but if they want Stone on a higher line they will need to find a better RWer than Chiasson to play with them.

On the other hand, if MAC, Turris & Ryan play together & Hoffman, Zibanejad & Dzingel play together than Ottawa could keep Smith, Pageau & Stone together. That would create three decent lines & any one of these lines could be the top line in any given game.

Yes, sry Aragorn, was kinda skimming through the posts and didn't read yours...
And yes, Smith did score a fair amount of his goals this year not playing with Stone, confidence is a funny thing...
With that said, i think it will come down ( as you have said ) to who he plays with next year...obviously if he plays with some of the more skilled guys then we know he's capable of producing, and most likely will continue to.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
How anyone can think Smith is going to continue to shoot at over 20% is beyond me. It's far, far more likely that he'll be back to a serviceable bottom 6 player who scores about 12-15 goals next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad