Is winning one playoff round enough for you anymore?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
They need to win at least two rounds (if you count the play-in) - CBJ + BOS.

Anything short of that is a bad look. This team needs to take the next step.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs aren't paying 3 X players $11 mil on average among the highest paid players in the NHL to not go deep in the playoffs.

The Kane and Toews and Doughty and Kopitar players got their big golden parachute contracts as rewards for winning the Cup and Conn Smythe trophies first.

Besides there was no need to change GM and Coaches to get less or similar results.

So expectations based on past actions and recent events have the demand for required results at an all time high level, and if not there will be hell to be paid, in an avalanche of criticism launched towards under-performing & overpaid players and underachieving management.

We've pushed our poker chips in All-In now !!!

So consider them warned. No more excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Let’s say the playoff format is altered to accommodate additional teams and Boston is eliminated in the first round(here’s looking at Tampa last year).

In this hypothetical scenario, the Leafs go on a deep run. Does that mean that you’ll still be unhappy? I think you’re getting hung up on a rivalry when comparing the teams actual vs theoretical progress. I want to eliminate Boston just as much as the next person, but the reality is that our current roster has only lost two seven game series’ against the Bruins. I don’t think that means that they have our number in absolute certainty.

I’ll also be happy with a series victory. Obviously I’d be happier with an ECF or even Stanley Cup victory. But showing we can win one or two rounds is still growth in the right direction.

Absolutely i would not be unhappy if the Leafs got to the conference finals or even round 2 without beating Boston. However, if we play Boston again the expectation should be to finally beat them. If we lost to Boston again in a round 1 hypothetically, changes would have to be made. One more loss to them, especially in a game 7, would be getting into pathetic territory. I don't think fans should be thinking, "Let's just avoid Boston", "if we play Boston we will be screwed over" these are loser mindsets.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
These proposed playoffs shouldn't be considered a valid benchmark about the team in any positive or negative way.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
The Leafs aren't paying 3 X players $11 mil on average among the highest paid players in the NHL to not go deep in the playoffs.

The Kane and Toews and Doughty and Kopitar players got their big golden parachute contracts as rewards for winning the Cup and Conn Smythe trophies first.

Besides there was no need to change GM and Coaches to get less or similar results.

So expectations based on past actions and recent events have the demand for required results at an all time high level, and if not there will be hell to be paid, in an avalanche of criticism launched towards under-performing & overpaid players and underachieving management.

Yes I agree. Management has failed.

If the leafs fail to do any damage with the players they have making the money they do, the leafs will come out of this era with a worse reputation (not unfairly like right now everyone making memes of the leafs), fans will get fed up and pick a new team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Randomness of the playoffs will always throw wrenches into good teams plans (ie the Bolts last year).

But a playoff series win should be the low level benchmark for this team (what is to be expected). With the big three finally starting to enter their primes we should look to make some deeper pushes - though obviously this season has just been weird from the start

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

100% agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Al14

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes I agree. Management has failed.

If the leafs fail to do any damage with the players they have making the money they do, the leafs will come out of this era with a worse reputation (not unfairly like right now everyone making memes of the leafs), fans will get fed up and pick a new team.

I don't think management has failed, because the clock is still ticking so to speak, and the games not over.

I see this more as a lot of foresight discussion voicing displeasure of big contracts and signings that appear to put the Leafs into a tough spot to be Cup competitive.

However its retrospective 20/20 hindsight analysis that will determine success or failure for Dubas and the Leafs.

We don't know how this story ends yet.. Dubas might still come out of this looking like a genius and prove all his current doubters wrong. KD might still get the last laugh while some of us Leaf fans that questioned him will be left eating crow, while watching our Leafs parade down Young/Bloor St in celebration, but that onus is on him and team he built to start delivering on that return.

Even it takes an world wide pandemic anomaly assisted victory with a season that will be marked by numerous "**" astrics forever questioning the validity of the results, at least its still success regardless.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I won't be satisfied until we win a round, and as soon as we win a round, I won't be satisfied until we win a second round, and so on.

This applies every year. The last time I was completely satisfied was when they won both rounds.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I didn't have high expectations before as it was an incredibly young team that needed to go through growing pains and we as fans just had to be patient. It took a power house Capitals team a long time to win a cup. Same goes for the Blues who had a very strong team for a long time as well.

Things are different now. We have had 3 straight 1st round exits with the last one against Boston should've easily been closed out in game 6. This team should now be considered a contender and should be able to beat any team in the league. It's time for us to at least win a round which would be growth but this group of players needs to grow up and start showing results. Expectations are much higher now.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I won't be satisfied until we win a round, and as soon as we win a round, I won't be satisfied until we win a second round, and so on.

This applies every year. The last time I was completely satisfied was when they won both rounds.

Don't worry the special "trolling" of hockey gods is gonna be like---->>>> "hey leaf fans you've been hungry for a cup since '67 eh; here is your cup go out and have a parade" especially when everything is in lockdown

Reactions: notDatsyuk

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
We wont win a cup with this team. I'm ok as long as they improve.

I don’t get why you think that. This team has the talent to win it all. We’ve just had trouble being consistent this season which can be attributed to injuries, personnel changes, etc. But on paper, we have one of the best squads in the league. I think Leafs are poised to surprise a lot of people these playoffs. We’ll finally get to see them with a full healthy roster. If they can put together a strong series win against Columbus, they’ll be a huge threat moving forward with the confidence & momentum built off of finally winning a “playoff round” after almost 20 years.

Reactions: kb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don’t get why you think that. This team has the talent to win it all. We’ve just had trouble being consistent this season which can be attributed to injuries, personnel changes, etc. But on paper, we have one of the best squads in the league. I think Leafs are poised to surprise a lot of people these playoffs. We’ll finally get to see them with a full healthy roster. If they can put together a strong series win against Columbus, they’ll be a huge threat moving forward with the confidence & momentum built off of finally winning a “playoff round” after almost 20 years.
I think we lack on d and probably some clutch goaltending. Team grit is also a bit porous. The team just isnt dangerous when facing gritty stifling teams that wait for mistakes.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We need to learn what it takes to win. A round victory is the first step so yes.. it's enough for me for this year. After that I'm looking for them to build upon it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad