Is winning one playoff round enough for you anymore?

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
In my opinion, it was enough in 2017 (when we made that unlikely run to end up facing Washington and taking them to 6) and also in 2018 when we faced Boston for the first time since the 2013 disaster. I think the narrative of "If we avoid Boston in round 1, all is well! We can win a round, Oh my God!" is a weak mindset.

Now that it is established that Boston has our number and continues to upset and embarrass us, coupled with the fact that we've made no playoff progress since 2017, I think we should be all happy once we beat Boston. Also if we beat Boston, say in a round 1, it'd be likely we'd defeat our opponent in round 2 as well. A Toronto vs Columbus matchup would be different and probably very fun, but if we won and lost to Boston, that is not progression and we shouldn't be satisfied IMO.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Nope, premium salaries must mean premium results!
Can't be okay with Boston being able to have their way with us in game 7's over and over. "But they're dirty and the refs!" is not an excuse like "Well the raptors can't get past Cleveland because of Lebron" was.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
We need to win at least one playoff round, not just a play- in mini series. Beating Columbus wouldn't really be an accomplishment as much as a reminder that they didn't have a good enough regular season to get a bye. The round of 24 (if it gets approved) is just a neccessary evil, the round of 16 is the real deal.

Reactions: lottster14

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Ya, after a wild card play-in, if we then beat the Bruins, i'll be disappointed with not going further, but satisfied.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It depends on the roster they put together in the off season.
If they come back with a similar type team then I’m happy with just making the playoffs.
If they have a robust team then I expect more.
We’ll see what Dubas can do.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My expectations are low so I’d be pleased with winning a round.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I dont understand the part about how we would likely win round 2 because we beat Boston in round 1
boston is the best team in the league; theoretically if we knock them out then whoever we face will be an easier opponent

i'm not gonna agree/argue whether we'd be likely to win round 2 or not

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
I dont understand the part about how we would likely win round 2 because we beat Boston in round 1
Getting over that big hurdle, monkey off the back, Boston being top 3 at LEAST in eastern conference. Leafs and leaf fans riding the motivation wave. Don't see how it's hard to understand tbh.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
No.
Conference finals or bust.
This team is loaded on paper. No excuses.
Simply winning a round sounds depressing and is too low of an expectation.

I agree. If we're going win round 1 (vs boston or not) we have to make it to round 3 at least. Especially with cap issues, player loyalty after 4 potential exits in a row, and other teams getting better after the trade deadline

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Can't overlook any opponent. Any series victory would be well earned and not easy to come by. It'd be great to have the franchise at least crack that final eight again.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Nope. This team should be ECF or bust IMO. If we get knocked out in the round robin I hope we get to keep our 1st. Not likely but we could certainly use the help of a high pick.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Anything less than making the 2nd round would be a massive failure, doesn't matter who they play. Can't get by on potential forever.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
In my opinion, it was enough in 2017 (when we made that unlikely run to end up facing Washington and taking them to 6) and also in 2018 when we faced Boston for the first time since the 2013 disaster. I think the narrative of "If we avoid Boston in round 1, all is well! We can win a round, Oh my God!" is a weak mindset.

Now that it is established that Boston has our number and continues to upset and embarrass us, coupled with the fact that we've made no playoff progress since 2017, I think we should be all happy once we beat Boston. Also if we beat Boston, say in a round 1, it'd be likely we'd defeat our opponent in round 2 as well. A Toronto vs Columbus matchup would be different and probably very fun, but if we won and lost to Boston, that is not progression and we shouldn't be satisfied IMO.
Let’s say the playoff format is altered to accommodate additional teams and Boston is eliminated in the first round(here’s looking at Tampa last year).

In this hypothetical scenario, the Leafs go on a deep run. Does that mean that you’ll still be unhappy? I think you’re getting hung up on a rivalry when comparing the teams actual vs theoretical progress. I want to eliminate Boston just as much as the next person, but the reality is that our current roster has only lost two seven game series’ against the Bruins. I don’t think that means that they have our number in absolute certainty.

I’ll also be happy with a series victory. Obviously I’d be happier with an ECF or even Stanley Cup victory. But showing we can win one or two rounds is still growth in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: