Is Voynov an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Why is a professional athlete held to a higher standard? They are not inherently better than the rest of us.

Given the bad behaviour that is tolerated all the time - on ice, it is very hypocritical to claim that the NHL holds its players to a higher standard.

I don't want to condone Voynov's actions in any way. Not in the slightest. But everyone deserves a 2nd chance.
He can keep on playing in freaking KHL in Russia where domestic violence is barely illegal. Damn scumbag. No NHL team should go near that POS. Today's ice hockey players should be role models and they have a very visible and privileged position. Only a very desperate and morally corrupt team would take him in today's world

Reactions: Gotaf7

Jerts

Mar 5, 2015
Winnipeg
Second chances do not apply to professional athletes. Getting paid millions of dollars to play a game is a privilege and not a right.
Slava has plenty of opportunity to go flip burgers in peace.

Reactions: Jet

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
If Michael Vick can come back after being in jail for two years, I could see Voynov getting a shot somewhere if he really wants it (takes a cheap contract). Definitely not in Canada where people care too much about hockey, but maybe somewhere in the south.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Second chances do not apply to professional athletes. Getting paid millions of dollars to play a game is a privilege and not a right.
Slava has plenty of opportunity to go flip burgers in peace.

But they do. NHL history is full of players receiving second chances. Rape, vehicular homicide, Sex with minors, Exposing oneself to minors and yes domestic abuse. Some are even in the hockey hall of fame.

Anyways I voted no. He may deserve a second chance, but it would be an unnecessary distraction.

And our defence is perfectly fine as it is.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
also to all those

"People deserve a second chance" ?

No. They don't.

Not for that.

Giving second chances to abusers and rapists and murderers is a failing of the NFL and other leagues.... it makes me sick. I hope the NHL never does that. Ever.

Drug addicts and alcoholics who get themselves clean, maybe a guy stole a car in high-school ... those kinds of crimes i can see you coming back from...Brutally and remorselessly beating a woman? I know MMA guys who won't get into fights, no matter how much they are provoked (up to and including being sucker punched by a drunk).... because they know they could really hurt someone.

A pro athelete ..striking a woman? Nope nope nope nope.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
also to all those

"People deserve a second chance" ?

No. They don't.

Not for that.

Giving second chances to abusers and rapists and murderers is a failing of the NFL and other leagues.... it makes me sick. I hope the NHL never does that. Ever.

Drug addicts and alcoholics who get themselves clean, maybe a guy stole a car in high-school ... those kinds of crimes i can see you coming back from...Brutally and remorselessly beating a woman? I know MMA guys who won't get into fights, no matter how much they are provoked (up to and including being sucker punched by a drunk).... because they know they could really hurt someone.

A pro athelete ..striking a woman? Nope nope nope nope.

OK, describe where you would draw the line? I'm not condoning what Voynov did. It was reprehensible. However, do you actually believe what Voynov did was worse than what Craig MacTavish did (vehicular homocide while intoxicated)? How about Evander Kane (too many incidents to mention)? Patrick Kane (too many incidents to mention)? Doug Gilmour (sex with 14 year old babysitter)? "Big Ben" Roethlisberger? (multiple sexual assaults) Roberto Alomar (sued for having unprotected sex while HIV+)? Glenn Anderson (deadbeat father who won't see his children)?

Most of these men are in their respective Hall of Fame (or at least going to be upon retirement). Professional athletes should not be looked upon as role models. It's the same with actors, musicians, politicians, or anyone else in the public eye. The true heroes of the world should be teachers, firefighters, doctors, nurses, etc.

Professional athletes get paid to entertain, and most are not exactly known to be choir boys outside the rink. People receive second chances all the time in life, in a wide variety of professions. Why should hockey players be any different?

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I cannot get that hostility either...his wife forgive him they have had a child since then, he is forever doomed for one mistake?

Women commonly forgive their abusers. And get abused again. Wife abuse is one of those types of dispicable behaviors that says so much about a person's character. Not the type of person TN, nor myself, would want representing our team, our city, our values. Emphatic no to this!

Last edited:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I'm going to say that True North wouldn't want the Jets within a continent of what might happen if Voynov was signed.

Nobody here truly knows what went on with that whole situation, we know what was publicized and while Voynov maybe gets reinstated I think he will have trouble finding an NHL job.

There are 3 things really that I cannot stand, 1) violence against women ( having lost a dear friend to such a situation), 2) messing with kids, and 3) needlessly harming animals a la Michael Vick.

One of the big things I've noticed about our 2 major sports teams is an emphasis on the atmosphere in the room and getting the " right" players.
Not sure that if I was playing I'd be comfortable with Voynov as a teammate being anywhere near my better half. That is all.

MasochisticHamster

Nov 5, 2017
Winnipeg
If he had spent some years behind bars then I might feel as though he had paid his debt, but as it is he got off easy. The debt he owes has not been repaid and for that I don't think he deserves to move on with his career in the NHL as a result.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Never heard of him. Is he a good player who meshes well in the dressing room? That’s the only thing I care about.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Bobby Hull was well known for domestic abuse. There are stories about Keith Tkachuk. Thomas Steen was charged with domestic assault. Pavelec and Byfuglien were charged with DUI (Pavelec convicted). Evander Kane is arguably worse than Voynov. I'm sure there are others I'm missing out on.

I would be concerned about the Jets having Voynov on the roster, but if he has reformed, taken domestic violence sensitivity training, and learned from his mistakes, and become a better person, why not give him a chance?

Craig MacTavish killed a woman in 1984, and spent a year in prison. The Oilers gave him a second chance in life, and he became a leader in the community. Even Michael Vick changed for the better and became a leader in the community in Philadelphia. Many of us make mistakes, and what Voynov did was deplorable. However, he has paid his dues, and if she shows legitimate remorse for his mistakes, I can forgive.

Forgiveness is what strong people do. The weak carry grudges.

How is Evander Kane worse than Voynov? There’s a big difference between beating your spouse and being cocky... The difference is being cocky doesn’t hurt anyone else...

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
How is Evander Kane worse than Voynov? There’s a big difference between beating your spouse and being cocky... The difference is being cocky doesn’t hurt anyone else...

He did beat some random girl in his hotel room.

Exactly the same as Voynov

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So many excuses for such an a hole. No thanks from here..

Guy sealed his NHL career with his actions.

Certain actions like, animal abuse, child abuse, rape and domestic abuse are imo, just inexcuseable.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Putting your hands forcefully around a woman's neck, and saying "you're coming home with me," dragging another woman out of a bar by her hair, and assaulting a bouncer who tries to intervene is "cocky?" That's news to me...

source: Sabres' Evander Kane charged with harassment at bar | CBC Sports

Evander Kane will face non-criminal harassment charges in court for bar allegations

Kane has been in trouble several times in different provinces and states. The assault in Vancouver (2014) and the incident in Buffalo involving sexual assault (late 2015), and the incident at a Buffalo nightclub (July 2016). You can make the argument that Kane was never convicted, but neither were OJ Simpson or Jian Ghomeshi.

source: Woman sues Sabres’ Evander Kane, claiming he injured her

Evander Kane sued in B.C. court over alleged assault in Vancouver

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok

So should everyone be given a second chance or a chance to rehabilitate? Submit your own judgment here.

However even if you think they should does that mean they get to go back to their previous job or place of work....hell no. Accountants that are thiefs lose their designation, doctors get kicked out of their club, lawyers get disbarred, the list goes on and on and on about people who can work but not at the job they use to do or in the profession they trained for.

Voynov is still playing professional hockey so he hasn’t even lost his license. Should the NHL allow him back in is a different question than should he get a second chance in life.

What the scetchy NHL will or won’t do is anyone’s guess.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Putting your hands forcefully around a woman's neck, and saying "you're coming home with me," dragging another woman out of a bar by her hair, and assaulting a bouncer who tries to intervene is "cocky?" That's news to me...

source: Sabres' Evander Kane charged with harassment at bar | CBC Sports

Evander Kane will face non-criminal harassment charges in court for bar allegations

Kane has been in trouble several times in different provinces and states. The assault in Vancouver (2014) and the incident in Buffalo involving sexual assault (late 2015), and the incident at a Buffalo nightclub (July 2016). You can make the argument that Kane was never convicted, but neither were OJ Simpson or Jian Ghomeshi.

source: Woman sues Sabres’ Evander Kane, claiming he injured her

Evander Kane sued in B.C. court over alleged assault in Vancouver
Never mind, did not know of this.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Ok

So should everyone be given a second chance or a chance to rehabilitate? Submit your own judgment here.

However even if you think they should does that mean they get to go back to their previous job or place of work....hell no. Accountants that are thiefs lose their designation, doctors get kicked out of their club, lawyers get disbarred, the list goes on and on and on about people who can work but not at the job they use to do or in the profession they trained for.

Voynov is still playing professional hockey so he hasn’t even lost his license. Should the NHL allow him back in is a different question than should he get a second chance in life.

It's one thing to be forced into a different career because of professional misconduct. Spousal abuse, while heinous, is a personal issue that has nothing to do with the sport. If Voynov had been turfed for taking bribes to throw games, then you would have a legitimate comparison, and a lifetime ban could be justifiable.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Ok

You do realize that Voynov was jailed for a couple of months, lost out on millions of dollars, and would have most likely been deported out of the United States, if he had stayed behind. That's a fairly significant price to pay for his actions. It's not like the Police and justice system just swept it under the rug, like they have with other pro athletes.

I think it just depends on whether one believes in people and their ability to change, and learn from their mistakes. Also, is it really beneficial to paint someone with one brush due to a big mistake they made in their early 20's, and hound them for the remainder of their life? The reasoning behind my stance, is that in my 20's I made mistakes myself. I drank too much, and even though I never did anything like Voynov did, but I probably hurt and disappointed loved ones. It came to the point where I decided to change, and did 12-step groups.

Not sure if you ever attended any of these types of meetings, but I have met people who became leaders of their respective communities, and dedicate their lives to helping others not make the same mistakes they did. I do not see how it is beneficial to paint a person who has done something bad (simple assault, theft, drug possession, etc), and paint them with a brush forever, and take their ability to make a living, people are generally less likely to have the resources to live up to their potential.

Obviously there are evil people out there, and some crimes legitimately do not warrant a second change (i.e. 1st degree murder, molesting children, etc). However, only a small fraction of people are legitimately bad people. Most, for a variety of reasons, can change. If I see someone make a legitimate effort to correct unacceptable behavior, and conquer their demons after they have paid their debt to society, why not give them a second chance?

Having said that, I wish Russia would take domestic violence more seriously. I read yesterday it's more or less tolerated, and Putin actually passed a law decriminalizing domestic violence for first time offenders, if there is no significant injury to the victim:

Putin signs law reducing punishment for domestic battery - CNN

Last edited:
Reactions: Trilliann

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
OK, describe where you would draw the line? I'm not condoning what Voynov did. It was reprehensible. However, do you actually believe what Voynov did was worse than what Craig MacTavish did (vehicular homocide while intoxicated)? How about Evander Kane (too many incidents to mention)? Patrick Kane (too many incidents to mention)? Doug Gilmour (sex with 14 year old babysitter)? "Big Ben" Roethlisberger? (multiple sexual assaults) Roberto Alomar (sued for having unprotected sex while HIV+)? Glenn Anderson (deadbeat father who won't see his children)?

Most of these men are in their respective Hall of Fame (or at least going to be upon retirement). Professional athletes should not be looked upon as role models. It's the same with actors, musicians, politicians, or anyone else in the public eye. The true heroes of the world should be teachers, firefighters, doctors, nurses, etc.

Professional athletes get paid to entertain, and most are not exactly known to be choir boys outside the rink. People receive second chances all the time in life, in a wide variety of professions. Why should hockey players be any different?

Blah blah blah look at my whataboutism. f*** off with that. We are free to like or dislike people as we see fit. Bobby Hull enjoyed a long and successful career, and he was a pretty huge piece of shit off the ice. Slava Voynov has also proven to be a piece of shit off the ice, having beaten his wife so bloodied that she required a hospital visit. It's a _huge_ privilege to play in the NHL, and it should be spent on the merited, not the meritless. I have a strong disdain for abusers, so he doesn't get a pass from me. I want nothing to do with him.

You do realize that Voynov was jailed for a couple of months, lost out on millions of dollars, and would have most likely been deported out of the United States, if he had stayed behind. That's a fairly significant price to pay for his actions. It's not like the Police and justice system just swept it under the rug, like they have with other pro athletes.

My heart bleeds for him. How hard he must have been treated in a white-collar prison for 2 (!!!) whole months, then was allowed to "voluntarily deport" himself back to his native Russia to continue his career, where he also made millions of dollars. There are people in US jails that are in for much longer than 2 months, and their crime was simple possession of drugs - a non-violent offense. He was even allowed to play for Russia at the Olympics. So, forgive me if I don't think Voynov paid his debt to society.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotaf7

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think it just depends on whether one believes in people and their ability to change, and learn from their mistakes. Also, is it really beneficial to paint someone with one brush due to a big mistake they made in their early 20's, and hound them for the remainder of their life? The reasoning behind my stance, is that in my 20's I made mistakes myself. I drank too much, and even though I never did anything like Voynov did, but I probably hurt and disappointed loved ones. It came to the point where I decided to change, and did 12-step groups.

Not sure if you ever attended any of these types of meetings, but I have met people who became leaders of their respective communities, and dedicate their lives to helping others not make the same mistakes they did. I do not see how it is beneficial to paint a person who has done something bad (simple assault, theft, drug possession, etc), and paint them with a brush forever, and take their ability to make a living, people are generally less likely to have the resources to live up to their potential.

Obviously there are evil people out there, and some crimes legitimately do not warrant a second change (i.e. 1st degree murder, molesting children, etc). However, only a small fraction of people are legitimately bad people. Most, for a variety of reasons, can change. If I see someone make a legitimate effort to correct unacceptable behavior, and conquer their demons after they have paid their debt to society, why not give them a second chance?

He did pay a price. However, he was back playing hockey and making a boat load of money the next season in the KHL. The debate now is should he or shouldn’t he be let back in the NHL I think no? The point I was trying to make is that is a very different debate, people get moved from companies for transgressions and allowed to work in similar industries but not for the same brand at times. Of coarse this has to be weighed against how the NHL has treated this in the past and what their plan is going forward and that is another kettle of fish altogether.

I am just heading out on the lake for the day I will hop back in later if I am sober enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad