Is Voynov an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Time for kids to get a wake up call. There is no Santa and athletes can be pieces of **** just like in every walk of life. And now you've gone and marginalized fast food workers by saying they should be happy working side by side with reprehensible people. :sarcasm:

In case you're still not getting my point, none of us has the right to say to others, we will allow you to do this but you must never be allowed to do that. If abusers have paid their debt to society, and changed their ways, they should be accepted back into their chosen career path. Note, that I have already made the exception where professional misconduct can lead to mistrust. In such cases, there is a valid reason beyond just being a really bad person to exclude someone from the field.
Of course fans have the right to tell teams what to do. Look at how Collin Kapernick can't get a position anywhere as a qb. If the jets hired voynov I'd stop buying tickets to games. Without fans the team could still win the Stanley Cup and still go bankrupt.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
As soon as someone says PC police or SJW you already know they cannot and will never understand the conversation or be able to contribute meaningfully. Because they will never understand the place of privilege they speak from, or understand the inherent bigotry of those terms.

If you cannot see why it is a good thing to change policies, and move forward from a time when everything was swept under the rug and ignored???? You probably aren't capable emotionally or intellectually of proper citizenship and are best left to the backwaters of ignorance and historical irrelevance.

Reactions: Nate070

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As soon as someone says PC police or SJW you already know they cannot and will never understand the conversation or be able to contribute meaningfully. Because they will never understand the place of privilege they speak from, or understand the inherent bigotry of those terms.

If you cannot see why it is a good thing to change policies, and move forward from a time when everything was swept under the rug and ignored???? You probably aren't capable emotionally or intellectually of proper citizenship and are best left to the backwaters of ignorance and historical irrelevance.

This is the problem with these type of debates. Some let their emotions dictate their posts, and toss civil discourse out the window. It's a democracy. We are all free to state our own opinions, and agree to disagree. This conversation has been relatively civil. The irony of attacking others for their views and opinions, while throwing the word "bigotry" into the mix, is amusing.

On a related note, some may want to check out this thread about the Blue Jays trading Osuna today, as it has many parallels to the Voynov thread: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-good-bye-osuna-version.2523363/page-11

Last edited:

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I don't see a classy organization like TNSE knowingly welcoming a person like this into the fold. They have been very quick to usher out problems in the past, I don't see them willingly inviting this in. Actions have consequences. So does this one, whether he is or isn't sorry or changed. One of those consequences is it changes the way people look at you.

While it is important to remember that no one should beat anyone and that unfortunately there is violence against men and women alike, violence against women usually does a lot more damage because men are generally bigger and stronger.

I am reminded of something that Margaret Atwood said which strikes a chord in me:

"Men are afraid women will laugh at them; women are afraid men will kill them."

Reactions: Jets4Life

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Really nicely put Garret.
Re your last point, that is precisely the reason TNSE will never consider Voynov, so the question is moot.
Here is something to consider that does make the discussion relevant--HF Boards is also a 'company'--of mostly males in the company of other males. We also send a message to the victims, survivors and women of the world by our postings.

Agreed 100%. Our words have weight, no matter where they are cast.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I don't see a classy organization like TNSE knowingly welcoming a person like this into the fold. They have been very quick to usher out problems in the past, I don't see them willingly inviting this in. Actions have consequences. So does this one, whether he is or isn't sorry or changed. One of those consequences is it changes the way people look at you.

While it is important to remember that no one should beat anyone and that unfortunately there is violence against men and women alike, violence against women usually does a lot more damage because men are generally bigger and stronger.

I am reminded of something that Margaret Atwood said which strikes a chord in me:

"Men are afraid women will laugh at them; women are afraid men will kill them."

You have a good point in regards to True North not bringing Voynov into the fold, due to his past indiscretions, and feel it will have a negative affect on their brand. I've just read a couple of pages of the Osuma/Blue Jays thread, and some are speculating that he was traded to a US-based team because 1. Rogers owns the Blue Jays, and the fallout from keeping a person who is charged with domestic violence negatively affects the company image, and 2. Americans seems to care more about winning, and more likely to ignore a persons troubled past. It can be a cultural difference between the two countries.

This is not without merit. The Dallas Cowboys are notorious for giving troubled stars second chances for most of their history.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
I read the available facts about his offence and I've seen some stats about domestic violence reoffending. I imagine my family member introducing him as their new partner - I would be very concerned to say the least.

I do believe people can change and deserve second chance - but that chance can be subjective. As a father of his own children perhaps - but not as a pro player other kids cheer and look up to.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I read the available facts about his offence and I've seen some stats about domestic violence reoffending. I imagine my family member introducing him as their new partner - I would be very concerned to say the least.

I do believe people can change and deserve second chance - but that chance can be subjective. As a father of his own children perhaps - but not as a pro player other kids cheer and look up to.

This is a big misconception. NHL players are NOT role models. They are entertainers. Many argue Hollywood actors and WWE wrestlers are "role models" too. However, it's been well documented than in all 3 professions, drug use, legal problems, and much more are greater than the general population. This is just a natural consequence of paying a young man in his early 20s a contract worth millions.

Obviously TNSE has a brand reputation to uphold, and that should be the reason (above all else), if they do not want to give Voynov a chance. Arguing NHL players are role models is ridiculous. Firefighters, Doctors, Nurses, and Teachers should be role models.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Report out of Russia reveals 5 NHL teams interested in wife beater Slava Voynov.

The report states that the New York Islanders, the New York Rangers, the Montreal Canadiens, and the Florida Panthers have all expressed interest, although it appears that the Winnipeg Jets may currently be the favorite.

Don't know where this writer gets their info from, but the Jets are the front runner? Is Winnipeg that hard of a place to get players to come to we have to look at Voynov? Interesting....can't wait to see the Jets PR people try and spin this if it was to happen.

And forgetting his indiscretions for a second, do the Jets really need another RD?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Report out of Russia reveals 5 NHL teams interested in wife beater Slava Voynov.

The report states that the New York Islanders, the New York Rangers, the Montreal Canadiens, and the Florida Panthers have all expressed interest, although it appears that the Winnipeg Jets may currently be the favorite.

Don't know where this writer gets their info from, but the Jets are the front runner? Is Winnipeg that hard of a place to get players to come to we have to look at Voynov? Interesting....can't wait to see the Jets PR people try and spin this if it was to happen.

And forgetting his indiscretions for a second, do the Jets really need another RD?

From what I remember of these reports it was the teams Voynov was interested in, not the teams actually interested.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
This is the problem with these type of debates. Some let their emotions dictate their posts, and toss civil discourse out the window. It's a democracy. We are all free to state our own opinions, and agree to disagree. This conversation has been relatively civil. The irony of attacking others for their views and opinions, while throwing the word "bigotry" into the mix, is amusing.

On a related note, some may want to check out this thread about the Blue Jays trading Osuna today, as it has many parallels to the Voynov thread: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-good-bye-osuna-version.2523363/page-11

Just because you have the freedom to state your ideas doesn't in any way protect you from the consequences of your words. Your opinion is meaningless if it isn't valid or useful.

In my opinion the sky is orange with purple clouds. Why would you ever respect that statement?

people hurl out SJW and PC police as insults then get upset because ya response isn't "Civil' Using those degrading insulting terms isn't
"civil"....There is an inherent bigotry in the phrase SJW and PC police. Both terms are used to de-legitimise and trivialise positions supporting universal human rights.

the question shouldn't be "why are you a SJW?" it should be "Why the heck aren't you?"

Voynov's actions have consequences and I for one am glad that teams and leagues are starting to instituting a zero tolerance policy. it's only about 40-60 years later than they should have.

Historically pro athletes have been protected, hush money paid, evidence and complaints swept away, victims and witnesses maliciously discredited in private and public.

A "second chance" doesn't mean a free pass. Voynov can serve his debt and move on. go be a car salesman or waiter or whatever occupation he aspires to or is limited to. he isn't owed a professional athlete's money, fame or status. And after such a crazy disgusting act he doesn't deserve them either.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Just because you have the freedom to state your ideas doesn't in any way protect you from the consequences of your words. Your opinion is meaningless if it isn't valid or useful.
And how is my opinion invalid? The irony is that calling my opinion "invalid/useless" is the exact definition of "bigot."

people hurl out SJW and PC police as insults then get upset because ya response isn't "Civil' Using those degrading insulting terms isn't
"civil"....There is an inherent bigotry in the phrase SJW and PC police. Both terms are used to de-legitimise and trivialise positions supporting universal human rights.

1.I never used the term PC or SJW. Check the thread.
2.You should not throw around the term "bigot" if you are intolerant of opinions that differ from your own. That, in itself, is the definition of "bigot."

the question shouldn't be "why are you a SJW?" it should be "Why the heck aren't you?"

Again, if you can find a post on this thread where I accused anyone of being a SJW, I would love to see it. Having said that, why on earth would I want to become a SJW?

Voynov's actions have consequences and I for one am glad that teams and leagues are starting to instituting a zero tolerance policy. it's only about 40-60 years later than they should have.

I could not care less about your opinion. People can "agree to disagree" without the juvenile mud-slinging.

A "second chance" doesn't mean a free pass. Voynov can serve his debt and move on. go be a car salesman or waiter or whatever occupation he aspires to or is limited to. he isn't owed a professional athlete's money, fame or status. And after such a crazy disgusting act he doesn't deserve them either.

Where did I say it was a "free pass?" A free pass would be not being punished at all. Voynov has done prison time, was about to be deported three years ago, and lost $25 million in salary. If he makes substantial effort to stop his bad behavior, and makes a genuine effort to reform, then why not give him a second chance? That is my opinion, and it may not be yours. However, you should not be attacking myself or others, and insinuating we are "bigots" for the democratic right to disagree with you.

Reactions: gearmex

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Unfortunately, you're not only signing Voynov the hockey player, but you're also getting the person.

This thread just proves the main issue: what is among the first things that come to mind about Slava Voynov? His past. In fact, I believe most will continue to associate him with abuse for the rest of his career/life, regardless of whether he has learned/done his time/been forgiven.

For that reason, signing a player like Voynov suddenly becomes a much bigger deal than just adding a talented defenseman. What's the message you want to send to business partners? How about the locals? Fans? What happens if he has not learned? Is it worth it to risk your reputation to improve the team now?

As much as I would love to add a good defenseman for cheap, I don't think I want it this much.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

If Slava Voynov has reformed his ways, and grew as a person, I would welcome him to the Jets organization. However, if he is involved in another off-ice incident, True North should be prepared to void his contract. I mean True North put up with Kane and his off-ice shenanigans (the "moneyphone" is irrelevant). Kane was a habitual offender in both Winnipeg and Buffalo.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Unfortunately, you're not only signing Voynov the hockey player, but you're also getting the person.

This thread just proves the main issue: what is among the first things that come to mind about Slava Voynov? His past. In fact, I believe most will continue to associate him with abuse for the rest of his career/life, regardless of whether he has learned/done his time/been forgiven.

For that reason, signing a player like Voynov suddenly becomes a much bigger deal than just adding a talented defenseman. What's the message you want to send to business partners? How about the locals? Fans? What happens if he has not learned? Is it worth it to risk your reputation to improve the team now?

As much as I would love to add a good defenseman for cheap, I don't think I want it this much.

Beyond the PR nightmare, adding Voynov would certainly create depth on the roster. Both Niku & Poolman are still waiver exempt and can be sent to the Moose without worry.

With that said where would he fit in? Byfuglien, Trouba, & Myers are the most potent AND most expensive RD in the NHL.

Further the Jets are already up against the cap. His AAV back in 2013 was $4.17 million. Unless he signed for Poolman's contract value of $775,000 there's simply no cap space for him.

So he's a PR nightmare, unable to crack the Jets right side & we can't afford him.

Three strikes he out.

Yet this is still a bumped thread 6 days in...next please!

Last edited:

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Interesting words from Gimpyhip from LGK forums.

I find this thread humorous. Why do I need to "forgive" him? He didn't do anything to me nor did he ask for my forgiveness for anything.

We live in a country of laws. He broke the law doing something despicable. He was sentenced to a punishment for that crime and served it. He also lost his job for it. Sounds like the system did what it was supposed to do. Is he a good guy? Probably not but I am not going to ask him to dinner or to watch my kids.

I don't watch entertainment such as Kings games based on whether I think all of the entertainers are wonderful examples of humanity though that does make it easier to root for them. If Voynov plays, will we still go watch the team? If he makes them better, will we go to a few more games? My answer is probably yes. If you have a different answer, fair enough. That is what makes a market.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Voynov has been granted permission to enter the U.S. and a picture of he and his wife Marta were shown at Nikki Beach in Miami,Fla.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Story from June 17th in LGK

I read a transcript somewhere from an Eliotte Friedman interview in which he said that Voynov or his agent had a quiet meeting with Bettman sometime before his court date last week.

That implies to me that Bettman told Voynov or his reps that he is at least open to his return pending his being cleared to work in the US. I also wonder if he has been given any idea what additional suspension he will face (if any).

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
From Mike McIntyre of the Free Press, earlier today:

upload_2018-7-31_14-44-57.png

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Hokiecats post from June 16th And yet, there was Hull at NHL100. When the Jets celebrated their WHA championship during the playoffs, there was Hull in the box with the guys. Hull is still revered in Chicago and did a public autograph signing this past weekend.

Moral of the story, beat the **** out of your wife in the 70s and nobody cares. Even if it gets brought up today, people just kindly ignore it. Why? It's not like Bill Cosby got a pass for being a creep in the 70s.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
This is from EJ Hradek on Twitter a week or 2 ago:

"Generally speaking, I’ve found that the North American hockey media is much quicker to criticize the European/Russian/Scandinavian player for under performance than the Canadian or American"

I say this extends to beyond just on-ice performance. I don't recall the media calling Patrick Kane a "scumbag" or not wanting him back in the league. Double standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad