Is Voynov an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There is Voynov issue with LA is coming back to NHL maybe could work something with that, Voynov + to Jets and Trouba to LA

Nyet.

1st - The NHL still hasn't reinstated him...

2nd - Everyone has some issues, but Slava Voynov is a dirtbag.

Because the NHL does not have a specific domestic violence policy — the only of North America's four major professional sports leagues without one — the onus is on commissioner Gary Bettman to deem that Voynov deserves reinstatement, based his personal meetings with Voynov and the NHL's private investigation into the matter. BUT....If the NHL actually wants to make a public stand on domestic violence, he can never be allowed to play again.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So i guess Austin Watson from Nashville cannot never play again either...and few others.

OT but read this then tell me Slava is someone who anyone wants playing for the Jets.

Why would the NHL consider reinstating Slava Voynov? That's a good question

And as far as Watson... if at a minimum the NHL had the same policy as the NFL, Watson would receive a 30 game suspension ( same % suspension based on number of games in a season ) for a 1st offence, and if ever found to be involved in a 2nd offense, a lifetime ban.

And of note: Last year, Watson appeared alongside other Predators players in a video calling for an end to domestic violence.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not that I'm an advocate for criminal behaviour, but aren't folks being harsh with Voynov.

If a waiter was convicted of assault, are folks saying he should never have job again? Or truck driver.? Where is the line that is drawn, that a person can't get another job in their line of work?
Gee, if convicted criminals of who spend 25 years in jail are expected to be employed once they free.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not that I'm an advocate for criminal behaviour, but aren't folks being harsh with Voynov.

If a waiter was convicted of assault, are folks saying he should never have job again? Or truck driver.? Where is the line that is drawn, that a person can't get another job in their line of work?
Gee, if convicted criminals of who spend 25 years in jail are expected to be employed once they free.

It's not just the crime, it's the career in which the person wants to work. For your average person, yes you should be given a second chance, but for a professional athlete you are held to a higher standard. Is it fair? No, but that is just the way it is. There is no way that a society can hope to stem something like domestic violence in the average home if the people we put on pedestals ( rightfully or wrongfully ) are allowed to "get away" with it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's not just the crime, it's the career in which the person wants to work. For your average person, yes you should be given a second chance, but for a professional athlete you are held to a higher standard. Is it fair? No, but that is just the way it is. There is no way that a society can hope to stem something like domestic violence in the average home if the people we put on pedestals ( rightfully or wrongfully ) are allowed to "get away" with it.

OK you're entitled to your opinion though I do think your statement "Is it fair? No, but that is just the way it is.", is not factually correct. Other athletes, other professional people get second chances and more.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

He has been working the last 3 years in Russia in the KHL, he is not unemployed?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
i would never attend a Jets game with Voynov in the lineup. Sorry, there has to be zero tolerance for this.
Not condoning his behaviour, but a very large majority of people who engage in domestic violence as adults experienced it first hand as children. It is a learned behaviour that often gets released with the consumption of alcohol reducing inhibitions. With effective counselling and a desire to seek out ways to channel emotions in healthier ways he may present no more risk than any other person in society.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I cannot get that hostility either...his wife forgive him they have had a child since then, he is forever doomed for one mistake?

The vast majority of spousal abuse victims stay with their spouse either for fear of retaliation, or there's an anchor there, like a kid. Slava voynov reportedly pushed his wife through the TV set, created a crime scene full of blood, and they created so much noise that neighbours called the police. That's not a f***ing mistake.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I’m betting so much is unreported...
Athletes should not be any different than a fireman or truck driver as far as being held to a different standard.
If he wants to play here and the issue is truly behind him then he deserves a second chance like all of us.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
tenor.gif

Reactions: purdy44 and Ares

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I’m betting so much is unreported...
Athletes should not be any different than a fireman or truck driver as far as being held to a different standard.
If he wants to play here and the issue is truly behind him then he deserves a second chance like all of us.

Umm had he killed her, would your opinion change? Dbag that smashed his wife or girlfriend's head into a tv can have a second chance on someone else's dime, preferably the state prisons dime.

You do not need second and third chances at proving you are not a horrendous person like that. One shot, rot in hell if you fail.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Mactavish killed someone and was welcomed back to the league.

In terms of voyonov even if he’s reinstated, there’s no way the jets as an organization would have him on their team.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Mactavish killed someone and was welcomed back to the league.

In terms of voyonov even if he’s reinstated, there’s no way the jets as an organization would have him on their team.
What? When? Who?

NVM just looked it up. Funny I do not remember this. Brutal, under the influence, should not have been back in the league after he served his time.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Craig MacTavish spent 1 year in prison for vehicular homicide back in 1984. He was drunk, got behind the wheel, and killed Kim Radley, 26, of Newfield, Me. Even back in 1985 there was some talk about him never playing again, but he did play. He made a poor choice and the results were devastating, but it can be seen as an accident. No excuse, but he did serve his time, and according to society paid his price. If the same thing happened today... I'm not sure he would have ever been back in the NHL.

What Voynov did was not an accident. The details are well known. But the real issue is that he returned to Russia to avoid deportation issues, which also abbreviated the NHL's ability to conduct its own investigation into this incident. He pleaded no contest to the criminal charge of domestic violence, not an admission of guilt, but not exactly the plea of an innocent man. And at no time in this process, or in the four years that followed, has there been any public hint of Voynov feeling the slightest bit of remorse. The Los Angeles County's district attorney argued against Voynov's petition to have his record expunged for that very reason. There is no way of verifying that any of the conditions of his probation were met.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Why is a professional athlete held to a higher standard? They are not inherently better than the rest of us.

Given the bad behaviour that is tolerated all the time - on ice, it is very hypocritical to claim that the NHL holds its players to a higher standard.

I don't want to condone Voynov's actions in any way. Not in the slightest. But everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Nope don't want him . It could cause some locker room problems if some of the guys did not like what he has done and we have good locker room chemistry right now don't mess with it .

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
What he did was terrible, but I'm getting really tired of the increasingly popular view that actions are unforgivable, and someone's career must be destroyed to properly make amends. Sometimes people need to hit rock bottom to recognize they have a problem. It seems he's turned things around, they've moved on, so should we. If he does something like that again, then fine, you can talk about a lifetime ban. But for now, I wouldn't have a problem with Voynov joining the Jets.

Unless it messes up our cap situation. That is unforgivable. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad