Is Voting Craig Anderson into the all star game a good idea?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If he has the numbers - and he might given his recent play and renewed focus - then sure, if not, then you definitely don't send him to the ASG just because of the off-ice problems he's facing.

Even if he's voted in, the NHL should be lenient on whether or not they suspend him for showing up IMO. This is an odd circumstance.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I would say probably not. The mans wife is battling cancer...perhaps allowing him to spend that weekend with his family would be better served.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
No. I think it would almost be a sign of disrespect. If he's playing out of his mind, sure, but otherwise I think we should give him as much privacy as possible.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Wtf? How is this a thread?

If he has the numbers, vote him in as he would deserve it.
If he doesnt, why would he be there? As some sort of charity case? Yeah Im sure he'd love that.

Its not even on the same level as the John Scott treatment. That all started as a joke, which turned in to something "cute." It was a good story.

Voting a guy into the all star game cause his wife has cancer is ridiculous. Trevor Daley's mom died over the summer. Should we vote him in too?

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
I'm a huge Ottawa fan and I have to think he'd rather be at home, even if he shows numbers deserving to be in.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Vote for him if he deserves it. And he can choose to stay with his wife if he gets voted in (can't he?)

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that if a player is voted to the all star game and doesn't show up, they are suspended for a game? Didnt that happen to Ovechkin .. er .. last year? Year before?

The exception is injury. In the above, Ovi wasnt injured and he was suspended for a game. Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

Now, one would think that in this specific example, an exception would be made.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that if a player is voted to the all star game and doesn't show up, they are suspended for a game? Didnt that happen to Ovechkin .. er .. last year? Year before?

The exception is injury. In the above, Ovi wasnt injured and he was suspended for a game. Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

All the more reason not to.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Ah thanks.

I would hope if this happened an exemption would be made as its not for selfish reasons to not go.

But still don't vote the guy in out of pity.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
All the more reason not to.

Ah thanks.

I would hope if this happened an exemption would be made as its not for selfish reasons to not go.

But still don't vote the guy in out of pity.

I dont claim to be right here. I *think* thats how it works but Im not sure.

But I agree with Pageau (awesome name btw haha) .. he goes if his stats back it up. Otherwise, he stays home.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think he would want to be with his family, and I doubt they want his wife's battle to be a daily story, which is what it would become if there was a John Scott like campaign (although Anderson is a much better player).

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
The John Scott thing was to show the NHL how stupid their voting system is. That was fine.

Before that, those kind of things were neven meant to show support to a player, it was to make fun of the system.

The only thing that could possibly make that system "stupid"... is if fans abused it.

Which they did.

But all that really proved is that those fans are stupid.

It's like when a parent gives a young adult a privilege or something really cool, but with which requires maturity and responsibility.

Then the stupid kid goes out and totally ruins it for himself, the adult, and for eveybody else too.

Anybody that voted for Scott should be ashamed of themselves. And the people that started it with Rory Fitzpatrick should be ashamed of themselves.

The OP should be ashamed of himself... but at least his stupid idea is meant to be a supportive gesture. [mod]

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, folks.

What a joke that we sit here and discuss how dumb the ASG is 50x a year. Ughhh... we can fix that, ya know?

It's not complicated, here's what you do. Cast ONE ballot (like a normal human being), with the players you think should be there because they're All-Stars... and watch the All-Star Game go back to being an event we can all look forward to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It might be a nice symbolic gesture. I think any positive vibes are a good thing. That doesn't mean that he should feel obligated to go though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, let him have the weekend home with his family, and not at the all-star game.

He can always decline if he wishes to do that instead.

But the thought behind inducting him is nice.

At any rate, he wouldn't be anywhere near the weirdest vote-in to an all star game. Not by a long shot....

Koss

the all star game isnt a charity case, you earn it

well.. "The NHL All-Star Game originated from the Players Committee and was approved on May 23, 1947. For the site of the All-Star Charity Game, it was applied for by Toronto and Chicago, with Chicago receiving the second game, in 1948. It was agreed that proceeds would be divided whereby one-third would go to Toronto charities, and two-thirds would go to the Players Emergency (Benevolent and Disability) Fund. At a later meeting in September 1947, the players agreed to set up a pension fund, with $900 from every player going into the fund and 25 cents from the sale of every playoff ticket and the two-thirds of the All-Star Game proceeds to go into the fund.[1]"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad