Speculation: Is Vancouver going to be able to trade their UFA'S?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Coming into the deadline Vancouver had some interesting pieces to sell,Tanner Pearson and Brandon Sutter are 2 guys I personally had interest in, but you also had guys like Alex Edler and Jordie Benn who could have brought back futures.

But with the recent Covid outbreak are they going to be able to trade these players at all? or has Covid completely stalled any hope of getting any assets back?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Coming into the deadline Vancouver had some interesting pieces to sell,Tanner Pearson and Brandon Sutter are 2 guys I personally had interest in, but you also had guys like Alex Edler and Jordie Benn who could have brought back futures.

But with the recent Covid outbreak are they going to be able to trade these players at all? or has Covid completely stalled any hope of getting any assets back?
Looks like Benning will run out of time again.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
You can't avoid the quarantine. Even people who got their double doses of vaccine in Florida and come back home are forced to fork over 1000$ in hotel fees for their forced government quarantine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MikeyMike01

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Rumours abound that the Canucks are close to resigning the quickly deteriorating and aging Pearson to a multi year deal.

Sutter is sick and Benning has always had this weird loyalty to vets. My guess is doesn’t even attempt to trade anyone.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rumours abound that the Canucks are close to resigning the quickly deteriorating and aging Pearson to a multi year deal.

Sutter is sick and Benning has always had this weird loyalty to vets. My guess is doesn’t even attempt to trade anyone.

But they are done they should sell if they can.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
This is actually a really good question. Need one of the TSN talking heads to weigh in.

Can a player be traded while on COVID list? Isn't that kind of like being on IR?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
But they are done they should sell if they can.
Covid outbreak has put the Canucks on the shelf for a week now. At the time, Montreal had 6 games in hand and was like 2 points up on them. Now, Montreal has 2 games in hand and is 8 points up. Another couple of days and Montreal will use up all of their games in hand and likely be 10 points up with 19 games, if the Canucks can actually fit them all in, to catch up. Vancouver & Montreal have completed their season series of 9 games, with Montreal taking 15 points to the Canucks 7 in those games.

So, if Montreal were to be 10 points up with 19 games left for both teams, the Habs went 0.500 after that for the remaining 19 games, the Canucks would need 29 points in 19 games just to tie the Habs. 14-4-1 would have to be their record coming out of this Covid outbreak to finish the season just to tie the Habs if they go 0.500. So, it's unrealistic to think they can catch Montreal at this point, especially with players recovering from the effects of Covid and playing a condensed scheduled similar to the one they had to start the season.

If they can sell, they should do so. But, of their UFAs, only Pearson has not been placed on the Covid list. Hamonic, Edler, who both have NMC are unlikely to waive them and they are on the Covid list and they have families that they likely won't want to leave now. Benn was on the Covid list to start the season, so he's so far managed to avoid getting it again during this outbreak. He would get moved if possible. Sutter has symptoms with only a M-NTC.

Pearson was injured and has been away from the team. He is getting closer to returning.

At this point, Pearson and Benn are the likely guys to get moved. I think teams will need updates on the medical condition of Sutter.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Odd take on Pearson. He is 28 and rarely been hurt. He has had a rough start to this year, but was good last year and in the playoffs. If Benning can get him for 3rd line money, I'd have no problem with that.

Reactions: crazyforhockey

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pearson and Benn aren't under quarantine, Sutter, Edler and Hamonic are.

A second for Pearson and a fourth for Benn, more if a cap dump or salary retention is needed.

I really don't care if they're moved or not, this year is a write-off, so why should the deadline result in us doing the right thing?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is actually a really good question. Need one of the TSN talking heads to weigh in.

Can a player be traded while on COVID list? Isn't that kind of like being on IR?

Injured players have been traded, so why not those on the COVID list?

Vantanen was dealt to the Hurricanes last TDL despite being injured for nearly a month - the trade was just made conditional based on the number of games played. Vancouver could do the same with their players.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020

A second for Pearson and a fourth for Benn, more if a cap dump or salary retention is needed.

I really don't care if they're moved or not, this year is a write-off, so why should the deadline result in us doing the right thing?
Yeah i dont see why we have to STOP everything just because of this covid scare. No reason not to at least continue to trade or sign extensions or whatever but we wont because OMG COVID

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Because it would bethe right thing

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Let's be real, Benning wasn't going to sell anyway. He's been trying to re-sign Pearson.

He's lucky there was a COVID outbreak, because now he can upgrade his excuse from "we ran out of time" to "uuhh well y'now umm... like we were right in the race till that covid hit y'know..."

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't touch a player from their roster. Why take the risk? The Brazilian variant is no joke.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Firstly, we don't actually know what players were infected. The players on the Covid protocol list, either tested positive or were in close contact with someone who did. IE, players on the list may not have tested positive themselves. All these players are now self-isolating for at least 10 days.

Secondly, anyone coming into the USA from Canada needs to get tested and self-isolate upon arrival. So any player coming from Vancouver has already self-isolated for at least 10 days in Vancouver and then for another period of time in the USA. That's a lot of self-isolation. If that player then gets a negative covid test, in what way are they a risk?

The bigger issues with the Canucks are that the market conditions are awful for trades. Players need to isolate in a shortened season, which decreases the amount of time any player can be with the team. Schedules are also compressed. A lot of teams have cap issues. So the demand is much lower. The Canucks players, they are potentially moving, weren't that highly in demand to start with.

Who are we talking about here? Hamonic is probably going to refuse to report to anyone in the USA. Edler probably wants to retire in Vancouver. You might get a 3rd for Pearson?

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Catching covid doesn't make you immune. It increases your immunity against the virus, but it doesn't mean you can't contract it again, or still spread it.

There have been very very few cases of people catching it more than once. We don't know for sure if you can spread it once you have been vaccinated/infected, but probably not. On top of that Canucks players will be isolating for like 20+ days between their current isolation and the one they would have to do upon arrival in the USA.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
it pretty much does though. very slim chance yoy catch it unless you are immunosuppressed
I've read quite a few stories about people catching it more than once, and people who have been vaccinated catching it.

Having a slim chance is not the same as being immune. Catching covid does not make you immune, it reduces your risk of catching it again. There is a big difference between the two.

Reactions: SundherDome

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There have been very very few cases of people catching it more than once. We don't know for sure if you can spread it once you have been vaccinated/infected, but probably not. On top of that Canucks players will be isolating for like 20+ days between their current isolation and the one they would have to do upon arrival in the USA.
That's fine and dandy. That still doesn't mean catching it once makes you immune. I also didn't say anything about spreading. That was a mod who edited the post.

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
It's not even that, I'm wondering if anybody will be willing to trade for them.
I don’t really buy this, Montreal Dallas and Carolina have all had similar outbreak (albeit not variant related) but have bounced back and been fine....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad