Is Tyson Barrie the best defenseman on the Avs?

• Thread starter Stuckinthe2ndround*
  • Start date

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
EJ's game is everything but quiet. He loves his big moments. It's both a strength and a weakness imo.

i just mean compared to barrie. ej does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed by people who do not watch him every game.

but lately I am really into ej's puck control in the offensive zone he's been powering around and taking it wherever he damn well pleases.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
T-boobs is awesome, but EJ is still better. Especially with the way he'a playing right now while Tyson is struggling to adapt to the new system that asks him to make more short passes n do less skating with the puck.

Dunno if Tyson will surpass EJ before Zadorov passes them both.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Hardly ever watch the Avs, but my ill informed self would take Barrie over EJ. Barrie seems more dynamic offensively and he is younger.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
He's good, but if he's in the running for #1 on the team it says more about that particular team's d-corps then the player.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
He's good, but if he's in the running for #1 on the team it says more about that particular team's d-corps then the player.

He's not in the running for #1 though. Best offensive threat from the blue line, sure. EJ is way ahead of Barrie.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

Barrie's outproduced a LOT of other teams' number one defensemen over the past three years, and that's all under a terrible coach in a terrible system. He's outscored Norris Doughty, Weber, Keith, Hedman...I can keep going. Is he better than any of those defensemen? No, but he's in elite company when it comes to production and with the way the modern game is going, that should hold way more weight than physicality and whatever definition of defense.

Also, eye test people won't like this, but Barrie has Johnson beat in shot suppression and possession the past few seasons. He's better by most statistical measures, even adjusting for QoC.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

Could someone post advanced stats between TB and EJ?

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Could someone post advanced stats between TB and EJ?

A good start:

CaPgRAq.png

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I don't watch the Avs much, but, when I do, I'm almost always impressed with something or other that EJ is doing.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
For us Avs fans EJ is still our # 1 Dman . Maybe Barrie will surpass EJ in a few years or maybe Nikita Zadorov will , but for now Barrie is not there yet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Erik Johnson is better by a fair bit. People who have decided looking at charts tells more than watching the sport will tell you otherwise but anybody who watched Colorado play will see EJ as a better hockey player. Tys will probably take over within a year or two though.

Actually so far this year Zadorov has been better than Barrie too but I'm certain that will change very soon. Tyson has always been a slow starter. Barrie seems to be having the hardest time adapting to a system that actually transitions the puck out of the zone properly. He still just wants to dump it out. If he ever learns to be a solid passer from the back end he will be an elite defenseman. Unfortunately he's shown no signs of improvement in that part of his game over the last few years.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Everyone says Johnson is the top defender and matches up against opposing top lines. But he does a terrible job at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad