Is Tyson Barrie the best defenseman on the Avs?

• Thread starter Stuckinthe2ndround*
  • Start date

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Honestly, I believe he is. He's by far the most dynamic. EJ is just way to inconsistent to be considered the best d man on the team. At least you can almost always count on Barrier to contribute offensively. He's also very underrated in his own zone. Yes, he can get knocked off the puck easily but his skating is elite and he's great at using it to get him out of tough situations.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Erik Johnson is, but that is not to discredit Barrie. Barrie still needs to be shadowed while Johnson can do the heavy lifting, even if Tyson shows up more on the score sheet at the night's end.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
He certainly was when the Avalanche were playing against the Wild in the playoffs. When he was injured, the Avs were a shadow of their former selves.

I've always thought highly of Barrie but they have a good defenseman in Erik Johnson.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
If I had to pick one I'd pick Barrie but ej is the better defensemen right now, ej's dynamics are underrated

Makkeli

May 1, 2009
Finland
EJ has been an absolute beast this season! No way in hell Barrie is better than him right now, EJ makes magic happen in both ends of the ice, Barrie just in O-zone. Both are fantastic players but right now EJ is a step ahead

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Because of his size he's a bit behind EJ. He has found ways to be effective defensively despite of this disadvantage but it's still a limiting factor.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
He certainly was when the Avalanche were playing against the Wild in the playoffs. When he was injured, the Avs were a shadow of their former selves.

I've always thought highly of Barrie but they have a good defenseman in Erik Johnson.

Some tv commentator said something like that "how tyson barrie goes, the avalanche goes".

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Absolutely not. I get why someone who does not follow the Avs would make such a claim because Barrie has the sexier numbers. However, as someone who watches nearly all Avs games EJ is without a question the Avs best D. That being said EJ himself is not a number 1 D because he is not consistently that good.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He's our best offensive Dman, but EJ is our best all around Dman and I think by the end of this season Zadorov will be a better all around dman than Barrie.

I like Tyson but he gets beato defensively quite often.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Tyson Barrie is better than Erik Johnson

Barrie is better then ej

Honestly, I believe he is. He's by far the most dynamic. EJ is just way to inconsistent to be considered the best d man on the team. At least you can almost always count on Barrier to contribute offensively. He's also very underrated in his own zone. Yes, he can get knocked off the puck easily but his skating is elite and he's great at using it to get him out of tough situations.

I think he's extremely underrated, fantastic skater. What is your opinion?

All of these people dont watch the Avs at all, clearly.

Anyone who says Barrie is a better Dman then EJ have simply never watched the Avs play. Or if they do it's very rarely. EJ is definitely the better Dman, and judging by this thread he's the one who's actually underrated.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Barrie is the one who'll attract the attention simply for his style of play/numbers. But EJ is Colorado's best d-man.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Yes he is. He's better than Johnson. Every time Johnson goes down to injury and Barrie is given more responsibilities, Barrie does great

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
As an avid Avs fan that watches the games, I'd say EJ is the team's best D-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad