Is Thomas Harley still a thing? | Update: he is THE thing

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I think Jim Nill is good at his job and the salary cap is weird. Sorry for controversy

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think Nill did want to get Harley some games this year after he went down and did what they wanted him to do. He concentrated on defense and seems to be better.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
His outlet passes from our zone to not only clear our area but potentially generate offense because he can put it on guys' sticks is such a difference maker too.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Funny how they start blowing out lesser competition again now that there are two dmen playing who can pass the puck.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Funny how they start blowing out lesser competition again now that there are two dmen playing who can pass the puck.
can't say i recorded a log, but we did put the puck out in front of the net to a wide open detroit player at least 3 times. not sure if that's on d men or what, can't recall who it was.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
can't say i recorded a log, but we did put the puck out in front of the net to a wide open detroit player at least 3 times. not sure if that's on d men or what, can't recall who it was.
Heiskanen did it once for sure.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Thought it would be worth discussing how Harley is being used to start the season. Relatedly, this also seems to be the solution PDB has come up with for the Suter problem.

So basically Harley is being featured as the team's #2 defenseman. But he's doing this while ostensibly being paired with Hakanpaa on the 3rd pairing.

If you look at the shift charts so far all of the games start off relatively normal with the rotation of Suter-Miro / Lindell-Nils / Harley-Hakanpaa

As things progress however, Harley starts taking shifts with Miro on the top pair. Initially it's maybe every 4th shift until you get to the 3rd period or other high leverage situation and then it becomes more like half and half. Suter-Hakanpaa is pretty horrific as we watch them get split down the middle with ease, and accordingly that appears in a limited capacity with Hakanpaa also being sprinkled in back with his normal partner Harley.

Brent Burns Beard