Is Thomas Harley still a thing? | Update: he is THE thing

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Here's the cliffs notes on Harley-

Coming off his draft Jim Montgomery wanted to put him in the opening night roster and play immediately as an 18 year old. He was told no from above.

Then Rick Bowness takes over and he's not feeling Harley's game. Limited games, bouncing up and down, limited ice time.

Meanwhile Jim NIll decided a freshly bought-out Ryan Suter was what this team needed.

The org. decided to do a full reset on Harley's development in the same way they did for Ty Dellandrea when it was clear he was overexposed at the NHL level. Go down to the AHL and play for that team. Don't play for callups because they're not happening.

Harley has responded by being a very good 21 year old AHL player, as he should be.

Now here's the problem: the barely functioning husk of what was formerly Ryan Suter is signed for 2.... more.... long.... seasons.

On the left side the Stars have Heiskanen, Lindell (core pieces), and Suter. So where does Harley play? Your guess is as good as mine.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Watching this space for a call up!

Or do you think he is a piece they may trade to upgrade for this playoffs?

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
Watching this space for a call up!

Or do you think he is a piece they may trade to upgrade for this playoffs?
I think he's either traded this week or he stays the entire year in Cedar Park and hopefully gets a shot next season after Suter gets bought out (please oh please). Most of us here would be quite delighted if he headlined a package for Chychrun.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
nothing ruins my OCD more than a random Be A GM starting a thread here and cluttering the subforum

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
nothing ruins my OCD more than a random Be A GM starting a thread here and cluttering the subforum
Really? Sheesh, tough crowd!

You don’t like talking about your teams players?

Where else should a fan go if they want to learn about a particular player if not the team board?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Really? Sheesh, tough crowd!

You don’t like talking about your teams players?

Where else should a fan go if they want to learn about a particular player if not the team board?

here ya go mate

Reactions: Kipper 17

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
For our Thomas Harley enthusiasts: It may just be one game, but his season debut last night pretty clearly shows that he's an NHL player who happens to be trapped in the AHL due to the Stars' roster and cap situation.

The good news is that you may very well get to see him as a regular in the NHL playoffs.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hopefully, last night's game, and others he gets in this season, will turn out to be just like Ty Dellandria's debut in last year's playoffs. Sent down to the A (unfairly according to many here) but just what he needed to get ready. He looked NHL ready last night. Of course, since NSH basically has an AHL team fielded, maybe he just felt right at home, like it was another game in Austin......

• Haha
Reactions: eartotheground

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I do wonder in order to make room for Nils and Harley if instead of dumping Suter like they should they find a trade partner and move Miller. I'm not a fan of either and both going would be great but I'm not sure Nill will do a me culpa and buyout Suter this summer.

Reactions: piqued

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I do wonder in order to make room for Nils and Harley if instead of dumping Suter like they should they find a trade partner and move Miller. I'm not a fan of either and both going would be great but I'm not sure Nill will do a me culpa and buyout Suter this summer.

Miller is fine for the money he makes. Suter needs to be moved or at least be regularly scratched from next year on . Have him play the Hanley role from next year on if you don't want to buy him out

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I doubt Suter gets bought out. I also expect Suter to be in the lineup every night next season.

I'm not worried about the roster next season for the D. Hanley will be a UFA and gone. Both Harley and Lundkvist are super cheap.

They have the cap space to let Miller or Hakanpaa be every day scratches, but if Nill decides both kids are ready to play every day, there is a question of whether Nill would trade either one or whether either might even quietly ask for a trade.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I doubt Suter gets bought out. I also expect Suter to be in the lineup every night next season.

I'm not worried about the roster next season for the D. Hanley will be a UFA and gone. Both Harley and Lundkvist are super cheap.

They have the cap space to let Miller or Hakanpaa be every day scratches, but if Nill decides both kids are ready to play every day, there is a question of whether Nill would trade either one or whether either might even quietly ask for a trade.
Could just waive them, a little less than 800k hit for Miller in the AHL, under 500k for Hakanpaa. Either gets grabbed on waivers. You lose nothing.
But considering Nill's affinity for blocking the young guys we'd probably go back to running 8d, with a rotating scratch between Harley, Nils, Miller

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Could just waive them, a little less than 800k hit for Miller in the AHL, under 500k for Hakanpaa. Either gets grabbed on waivers. You lose nothing.
But considering Nill's affinity for blocking the young guys we'd probably go back to running 8d, with a rotating scratch between Harley, Nils, Miller

Hanley is expiring so no need to run 8D .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Hanley is expiring so no need to run 8D .
I'm assuming Nill is going to try and sign an actual top 4 d to this team this summer.
But then again the last time he tried that he somehow thought Suter was it, so we probably need someone else to evaluate those moves, but we're stuck with Nill.

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
imo you either eat the buyout and cut bait with suter or say goodbye to miller. (which sucks bc as noted above, he's cheap and fine for what he costs)
hakanpaa brings an element of physicality that i doubt they'd part with as we don't have a ton of it on the backend. neither nils nor harley will add to that element, and you need to be able to occasionally rough folks up around the net.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm assuming Nill is going to try and sign an actual top 4 d to this team this summer.
But then again the last time he tried that he somehow thought Suter was it, so we probably need someone else to evaluate those moves, but we're stuck with Nill.

There's not money for a top 4 D. We'll have about 8M in cap space and have to rebuild our forward depth. We have 8 F signed already, probably a couple internal options, but I would expect that any leftover money goes to someone who can fill Domi or Dadonov's role.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Miller is fine for the money he makes. Suter needs to be moved or at least be regularly scratched from next year on . Have him play the Hanley role from next year on if you don't want to buy him out
Veteranocity means that will never happen. Suter doesn't get sat in back to back. You honestly think he's going to get healthy scratched on the regular? Either he gets bought out or he's playing.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
The D market is ass this year. The only two guys that fit the bill of what the stars need/are good are Orlov and Gavrikov, and they’re both left handed. Unless they have some sort of belief in Dumba turning his game around, there’s nothing that would fit.

Reactions: LT

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Veteranocity means that will never happen. Suter doesn't get sat in back to back. You honestly think he's going to get healthy scratched on the regular? Either he gets bought out or he's playing.

His play is certainly not getting any better when he's one year older. Last season he was still ok for the most part. This year he really fell off during the offseason. Entirely likely his play falls off so much next season the coaching staff has no choice but to scratch him

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
There's not money for a top 4 D. We'll have about 8M in cap space and have to rebuild our forward depth. We have 8 F signed already, probably a couple internal options, but I would expect that any leftover money goes to someone who can fill Domi or Dadonov's role.
There's money and you're right, he'll probably blow it on another marchment type addition.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
His play is certainly not getting any better when he's one year older. Last season he was still ok for the most part. This year he really fell off during the offseason. Entirely likely his play falls off so much next season the coaching staff has no choice but to scratch him
But why even put yourself in that position to where you have to have that conversation with him and hope he doesn't cause a problem in the room by being that healthy scratch. Doesn't he already have a reputation for not being happy when things don't go his way from his time in Minnesota? Buy him out and split up the kids with the vets to help them transition.

Beyond that how long do you think his leash would be? DeBoer would give him every opportunity to figure it out and I'd rather not waste half a season or more before reality finally slaps the coaching staff in the face and they'll play Nils. He's not going to improve if he's not playing and the staff doesn't like him already. Nill has to take away the binkie or SSDD is going to apply over and over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad