News Article: Is this the year of Connor Hellebuyck

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
They need to send Pavs down. If someone claims him great. If he plays on the Moose, Ok you have to pay him big bucks but you will have to pay him big bucks anyways. We need to keep Hutch so we can expose him next year, otherwise we would not have extended him. Who cares if Hellybuck earns his NHL salary as opossed to his AHL.

Therein lays the problem. They will not send Pavs down, and if they send Hutch down and loose him on wavers Hellebuyck will be the only goaltender on the roster who meets expansion draft requirements.

At that point things get ugly, and they need to do something like extend Pavs, send Hellebuyck back down and bring in an NHL veteran Free agent on a 2 year deal or expose Hellebuyck in the expansion draft. I think I’d rather just send Hellebuyck down and/or go with 3 goaltenders for a while.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
People are rightfully pointing out all the intricacies of the expansion draft, waivers, etc.

But regardless of how we swing it. Hellebuyck needs to start. I'm talking 1st game of the year. There are ways to make it happen. Otherwise, all this effort to build up a young strong team, supported by our excellent vets with a limited timeline to compete in their prime, is for naught. We know what Pavs brings. We don't need to prove it to ourselves yet again, and screw up another season.

I expect this to happen, as no other approach is sane. If it does not, I will truly question whether Chevy and Mo should be at the helm of this team. But I have faith that they will make the right decision.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Except the time when PMo ran with Hutch for extended periods of time, and went so far as to call it a platoon.

You mean the time that came before the time Maurice publicly said that Pavs was the number 1 guy and that the teams lack of success was in part to his injury?

Context is key here. At the time you're referring to (if I have it right) they were in a serious playoff hunt and so Maurice played the hot goalie. What happened to the platoon in the playoffs?

I'm serious when I say that I dig the optimism around Helle here. I'm also excited about him taking the next step. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that it will be this year.

Statistically it is a no-brainer. But the jets are also considering contracts, waiver eligibility, expansion draft, etc when making roster decisions. I'd bet that they're also looking at this season, with all of the youth on this team, as developmental: that is, they are more concerned about helping the young guys/rookies adjust to the game and creating a positive team identity than they are with being competitive. I don't think they are looking at this team on paper and thinking "gee, we have a good shot at making the playoffs. Let's make sure we're doing everything we can to get us over the line". They don't want to spoil the development of individuals and the team at large by rushing/pushing anything. It's not management's MO.

They are in no rush to give Helle the starting job, let alone put him on the roster.

Next season is where everything finally comes together and takes of for him and the team imo.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

No hmm at all for me. Hutch definitely still has potential to be a solid NHL goalie. A bad stretch has many people down on him, but if there's one thing we can garner from some of the numbers: he IS better than Pav. Helle/Hutch tandem, please.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm serious when I say that I dig the optimism around Helle here. I'm also excited about him taking the next step. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that it will be this year.

Hellebuyck took the "next step" a year ago. Some would argue he took that step during the IIHF Worlds in May 2015.

Statistically it is a no-brainer. But the jets are also considering contracts, waiver eligibility, expansion draft, etc when making roster decisions. I'd bet that they're also looking at this season, with all of the youth on this team, as developmental: that is, they are more concerned about helping the young guys/rookies adjust to the game and creating a positive team identity than they are with being competitive. I don't think they are looking at this team on paper and thinking "gee, we have a good shot at making the playoffs. Let's make sure we're doing everything we can to get us over the line". They don't want to spoil the development of individuals and the team at large by rushing/pushing anything. It's not management's MO.

OK. No offense but you have somewhat lost me. You say statistically putting Helle in net is a "no-brainer," but then take about contracts, waivers, expansion draft, etc. You do realize that teams have bought out players with salaries that make Pavelec's contract look like chump change. Just look at the NY Islanders as exhibit "A."

You also point out about the youth movement. Not sure what you are trying to imply since this is a Hellebuyck thread, but Helle IS part of the youth movement. And yes, the Jets do have a shot at making the playoffs. To think otherwise is ridiculous. We're not the Oilers. I have no idea how setting your sights on the playoffs is "spoiling" our young players.

They are in no rush to give Helle the starting job, let alone put him on the roster.

Next season is where everything finally comes together and takes of for him and the team imo.

Well if the Jets want to deliberately tank the whole season, and finish dead last in the Conference, then why stop with Hellebuyck. Let's just leave Laine, Connor, and Morrissey rotting away in the minors as well.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Have to agree, was pretty stupid having the organizations best goalie playing in the AHL when he really had nothing to prove.

Pavs and Hutch have proven enough that neither is going to ever carry a team or become reliable number 1 starting netminders!:rant:

Sip
Hutch has not been given enough starts to prove anything.
OTOH the blind spot for Pavs has been puzzling.
Pavs will start and we will have to live with it again
Insanity I tell ya

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Hellebuyck took the "next step" a year ago. Some would argue he took that step during the IIHF Worlds in May 2015.

So when I say "next step", I mean being acknowledged and played as the team's No.1 goalie. This hasn't happened yet, and I don't think it will next season either.

OK. No offense but you have somewhat lost me. You say statistically putting Helle in net is a "no-brainer," but then take about contracts, waivers, expansion draft, etc. You do realize that teams have bought out players with salaries that make Pavelec's contract look like chump change. Just look at the NY Islanders as exhibit "A."

No offense taken.

Teams do all sorts of things. The OP was about whether this was the season Helle would take a more prominent role on the Jets. I don't think our team with the current set of conditions will decide to do any of the things we would like them to (i.e. buy out Pavs, send Pavs to the minors, change the code on the locker room door so Pavs can't get in..). I was commenting on what I thought would happen in response to OP's question.

You also point out about the youth movement. Not sure what you are trying to imply since this is a Hellebuyck thread, but Helle IS part of the youth movement. And yes, the Jets do have a shot at making the playoffs. To think otherwise is ridiculous. We're not the Oilers. I have no idea how setting your sights on the playoffs is "spoiling" our young players.

I was referring to those youth that are likely to be on the team for this upcoming season. Think guys like Scheif, Lowry, Trouba, even Petan, Armia, Dano. You know.. guys that are listed on the Jets roster currently. I don't consider Helle to be likely on this year's roster. He's a part of the youth in this organization, but is probably 1 year away from being on the team in a permanent way.

Well if the Jets want to deliberately tank the whole season, and finish dead last in the Conference, then why stop with Hellebuyck. Let's just leave Laine, Connor, and Morrissey rotting away in the minors as well.

Who said anything about tanking? That's a bit of a stretch. What I was trying to communicate was that the team is likely more focused on the individual development of certain key players. Laine, Conner, Morrissey need to adjust to the NHL schedule and its physical toll. Guys like Petan, Armia, and Dano need to polish certain parts of their defensive/offensive game in order to fill specific roles on the team. Even a guy like Scheif still needs to establish what he accomplished at the end of last season as the norm. The team isn't going to intentionally lose, but they are going to put guys in positions to work on these things instead of triple-shifting Wheels or shortening their defensive bench to try and eke out additional points. Rushing Helle into the starter role, or even the backup role, would greatly improve our team sv%, but it creates other logistical headaches that the team doesn't feel are worth getting into with both Hutch and Pavs on roster already. They will likely be patient, give individuals time to grow, and see Pavs' contract through. If the wins come, great. If not, no sweat cuz 2017-18 yo.

I would love for the team to drop dead weight like Pavs. Minors, buyout, trade, whatever it takes. They've had every reason to do so for many years now and haven't. So why now? I just don't see it happening. Helle will get some games, maybe even a few stretches as starter if there's another injury, but I don't see him ousting Hutch or Pavs just yet. Happy to eat crow on this.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Connor Hellebuyck is not in the NHL this season it's going to be a crying shame. He's 23, going to be 24, he's had 2 years pro and has shown great. If your intentions are icing the best roster with the best chance to win, there is no good reason why he shouldn't be this teams no. 1 so long as he comes in and earns it. There is nothing left for Hellebuyck to do in the AHL from a development standpoint in my opinion, and the NHL is where he should be unless he shows otherwise.

At the same age in Carey Price's career (2010-11), he started 72 games.

At the same age in Henrik Lundqvist's career (2005-06), he started 53 games.

At the same age in Jonathan Quick's career (2009-10), he started 72 games.

The talk that a goaltender needs to be overdeveloped and over ripened is hogwash.

btw I still think it's Hutch that gets sent to the Moose to begin the year. Pavelec likely isn't an option (though he should be), and I think Helle is going to show well and earn his keep. I think we gave Hutch a very fair 2-year deal but I also think the organization and player knows there is a chance he could hit waivers and spend time in the AHL given the roster competition. Regardless, he's earning a good salary on a 2-year contract so for him personally that's a plus, and if he did hit waivers there could be other opportunity out there for him.

Crushed it Guerzy!

Last edited:

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
We all want and deserve a reprieve from the lacklustre goal tending of Ondrej Pavelec. I can't think of a single person on these boards who wouldn't rather see Helle in net.

But are the Jets really going to place Hutch or Pavs on waivers?

For example, if Hutch gets claimed, who do they have to meet expansion draft rules?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
We all want and deserve a reprieve from the lacklustre goal tending of Ondrej Pavelec. I can't think of a single person on these boards who wouldn't rather see Helle in net.

For example, if Hutch gets claimed, who do they have to meet expansion draft rules?

The Jets most likely signed Hutch for the expansion draft.

If it comes down to Helle vs Pavs, I would place Pavelec on waivers, and then get him to mentor Comrie, since there is zero chance any NHL team will claim him off waivers due to his salary.

Helle is the future. It is a shame he is not the present.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There is no reason not to waive Pav. None. 600k in salary difference does not constitute a reason not to waive Pav. It solves all the problem you have brought up. And some you haven't. Will they do it? Another story altogether.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You mean the time that came before the time Maurice publicly said that Pavs was the number 1 guy and that the teams lack of success was in part to his injury?

Context is key here. At the time you're referring to (if I have it right) they were in a serious playoff hunt and so Maurice played the hot goalie. What happened to the platoon in the playoffs?

You are a polite poster and I appreciate it.

Sadly I fear you are right. Sadly I fear the Jets will not be willing to do the right thing early enough. I don't mind going for it with a younger team and if that causes us to fall short then so be it. My problem will be if we half go for it and half don't again. By that I mean we make room for some rookies like Laine but hold back on key prospects like Morrissey because we are stubbornly hanging in on failed veterans.

I would be thrilled with this scenario:

Hellybuyck gets his shot and gets minimum of 20 games and if we are winning and he is a big reason why then he is the starter and the club can figure out the rest.

As long as he looks good to go in camp Morrissey gets 20 games minimum in the first half of the season but not with Mark Stuart. If he looks good he sticks but not with Mark Stuart. That probably means Mark is in the press box as our 7-8 depth D man.

We pick our fighter (Thor or Peluso) and whomever we choose gets 20-25 games max on the 4th line.

I believe these three steps would be a sign that we are both developing our young talent and giving our team a shot to go for the playoffs at the same time.

Sadly when I wake up the real world will get in the way, I don't think our org can make the tough calls with popular vet players. They will talk themselves into the same old road blocks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sadly I fear you are right. Sadly I fear the Jets will not be willing to do the right thing early enough. I don't mind going for it with a younger team and if that causes us to fall short then so be it. My problem will be if we half go for it and half don't again. By that I mean we make room for some rookies like Laine but hold back on key prospects like Morrissey because we are stubbornly hanging in on failed veterans.

Hellybuyck gets his shot and gets minimum of 20 games and if we are winning and he is a big reason why then he is the starter and the club can figure out the rest.

As long as he looks good to go in camp Morrissey gets 20 games minimum in the first half of the season but not with Mark Stuart. If he looks good he sticks but not with Mark Stuart. That probably means Mark is in the press box as our 7-8 depth D man.

We pick our fighter (Thor or Peluso) and whomever we choose gets 20-25 games max on the 4th line.

I believe these three steps would be a sign that we are both developing our young talent and giving our team a shot to go for the playoffs at the same time.

Sadly when I wake up the real world will get in the way, I don't think our org can make the tough calls with popular vet players. They will talk themselves into the same old road blocks.

I am bit more optimistic. They made a tough call on a much more important and liked vet in Ladd.

They have shown that they sn banish Pavs to the bench if he isn't getting it done in net. Maurice rode Helle hard last year during the injury, that wasn't by accident it was testing him in numerous situations. This leads me to believe that they plan on turning to him soon.

Thor started on the 4th line last year and I have to think at best that's where he starts this year.

Stuart is the one player where I think Maurice and Co. Will mess up on. I'm near positive Maurice will trot him out as a courtesy no matter how well Morrissey looks in camp.

My one hope is Morrissey excels on the PP and the new assistant wants to run a 2nd unit with him on it necessitating him being on the team. In addition I'm hoping the new assistant refuses to entertain using Stuart on the PK. Perhaps both new guys are able to convince Maurice and Huddy on the ineffectiveness of players like Stuart.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Good post PS.

Sadly, when I wake up ........

In each of the last several off-seasons it has appeared to me that a competitive team was available for the taking. I don't mean by some unlikely series of complex trades imagined with homer-vision. I mean with just a few realistic moves targeting those areas where we have been failing. First on my list is always goaltending. Second has always been depth. Depth players are always available. Each off-season I am disappointed that the right moves were not made. Then TC starts and I build hope that those moves that were made will be sufficient. The one time goaltending was somewhat addressed we made the POs.

This year is really no different. Goaltending and depth. Pav has to go. That is an absolute. Depth now means addition by subtraction. A total of <15 games for Thor/Peluso combined and <15 games for Stu. Just as simple as that. Those 4 guys have to NOT play and we should be competitive, have a very good chance at making the POs.

The means are at hand. There are ways to be rid of them all. The costs of doing so are minimal. It only requires PMo/Chevy to make the decisions.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I am bit more optimistic. They made a tough call on a much more important and liked vet in Ladd.

They have shown that they sn banish Pavs to the bench if he isn't getting it done in net. Maurice rode Helle hard last year during the injury, that wasn't by accident it was testing him in numerous situations. This leads me to believe that they plan on turning to him soon.

Thor started on the 4th line last year and I have to think at best that's where he starts this year.

Stuart is the one player where I think Maurice and Co. Will mess up on. I'm near positive Maurice will trot him out as a courtesy no matter how well Morrissey looks in camp.

My one hope is Morrissey excels on the PP and the new assistant wants to run a 2nd unit with him on it necessitating him being on the team. In addition I'm hoping the new assistant refuses to entertain using Stuart on the PK. Perhaps both new guys are able to convince Maurice and Huddy on the ineffectiveness of players like Stuart.

This is very much the way I see it, surixon.

I agree we have seen positive signs lately, in the Ladd trade, and the Hutch and Helle runs.

I believe TNSE's optimism for our drafted and developed young forwards will push Peluso out, and Thor at maximum on the 4th line or pressbox. And not a first choice to move up in case of injury. While having Thor on the 4th line is not optimal, in that it steals important development time against younger, more promising players, it is a less egregious error than with Pavs or Stuart.

I believe Hellebuyck will start.

Stuart worries me. Unlike with goaltending, I have not seen positive signs on our D roster selection. My hope here is that the newest assistant coach, with his video review experience, spends a lot of time examining the problems of our special teams. And when he comes back with 97% Stuart video clips for our PK woes, it shakes some of the fog off Maurice's brain. At the very least, to push Stu off the PK. And preferably off the starting roster altogether. But this is merely a hope rather than an expectation.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
IMHO, there is a 5% chance or lower Helly starts on the big club.

And yes, I realize he is the best goaltender in this organization. He probably was last year too, but for whatever asinine reason, this organization is dedicated to giving us the suckage of Ondrej Pavelec year after year while never once criticizing his play publicly.

He is the worst starting goaltender in the league, and I have come to accept that he will start game 1 next season. I have no faith in Maurice and Chevy picking the right goaltender. They are ****in pathetic when it comes to that.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
IMHO, there is a 5% chance or lower Helly starts on the big club.

And yes, I realize he is the best goaltender in this organization. He probably was last year too, but for whatever asinine reason, this organization is dedicated to giving us the suckage of Ondrej Pavelec year after year while never once criticizing his play publicly.

He is the worst starting goaltender in the league, and I have come to accept that he will start game 1 next season. I have no faith in Maurice and Chevy picking the right goaltender. They are ****in pathetic when it comes to that.

Maybe it's just that dog-days-optimism that sweeps over me this time of the year, but I think the Jets mean to make noise this season and will give Hellebuyck the starter's role right out of the gate.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
The Jets most likely signed Hutch for the expansion draft.

If it comes down to Helle vs Pavs, I would place Pavelec on waivers, and then get him to mentor Comrie, since there is zero chance any NHL team will claim him off waivers due to his salary.

Helle is the future. It is a shame he is not the present.

At this point, yeah, I think most would do the same. It is a shame that we didn't buy him out a long time ago, or trade him even..

The fact the Jets have done none of this is part of the reason I believe they aren't going to send Pavs to the moose. Here's hoping..

Maybe it's just that dog-days-optimism that sweeps over me this time of the year, but I think the Jets mean to make noise this season and will give Hellebuyck the starter's role right out of the gate.

.. like this.

There's no question Helle is ready, but there's every reason to doubt Jets management/coaching is.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011

Thanks. Our board in general is one of the better ones I find.

I agree that those 3 scenarios would be encouraging, and they are pretty reasonable in terms of probability. I think Helle will see some games, Stu will see less ice time, and Thor/Peluso will at least stay on the 4th line most of the season (no second line Jesus..). Since management/coaches seem to ignore the longterm data on a pretty regular basis, if these three things happen they might have the right excuse to keep going with it, just like how Helle got so much playing time last year. They're not going to say "Oh gee, Mark Stuart is statistically almost the worst defensemen in the league.. maybe we should change something here.." but I could see them saying something like "Oh look, we've taken him off the PK for the last 5 games and our PK% has gone up significantly. We're on a roll somehow! Weird! Let's stick with what works for now".

We need some successful stretches of the scenarios you suggested so that they have an excuse to make larger changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad