News Article: Is this the year of Connor Hellebuyck

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
As long as we have old under achieving over paid players on this team, no better younger player will get his shot. So No.

GGSmitty

Sep 25, 2012
Winnipeg
They need to send Pavs down. If someone claims him great. If he plays on the Moose, Ok you have to pay him big bucks but you will have to pay him big bucks anyways. We need to keep Hutch so we can expose him next year, otherwise we would not have extended him. Who cares if Hellybuck earns his NHL salary as opossed to his AHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With 3 goalies one has to go. Bucky is the best player and should start. Hutch is a risk to be claimed. Pav would not be claimed (unfortunately) - BUT - the only additional cost to the Jets if they keep Bucky in the NHL and waive Pav is the difference between Bucky's NHL salary and his AHL salary. That is 667,500 - 70k = 597,500 plus any bonuses he earns.

There is a good chance that we are talking the difference between playoffs and a lottery pick again. Guaranteed 2 home games easily covers that cost several times over.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
With 3 goalies one has to go. Bucky is the best player and should start. Hutch is a risk to be claimed. Pav would not be claimed (unfortunately) - BUT - the only additional cost to the Jets if they keep Bucky in the NHL and waive Pav is the difference between Bucky's NHL salary and his AHL salary. That is 667,500 - 70k = 597,500 plus any bonuses he earns.

There is a good chance that we are talking the difference between playoffs and a lottery pick again. Guaranteed 2 home games easily covers that cost several times over.

Yep. This is best case scenario. Let's hope it is Helly and Hutch. No one claims Pavs so at worst he takes playing time from Comrie in the A.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep. This is best case scenario. Let's hope it is Helly and Hutch. No one claims Pavs so at worst he takes playing time from Comrie in the A.

Send Pavs to the ECHL team :sarcasm:

I think the expansion rules are enough to ensure Hutch likely stays up. I hope the Jets are ready to turn the page from Pavs and go with the two best options. I don't care if they have to eat salary in house ineffective players in the AHL. Other orgs do it all the time and it would only be for one year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I really see pavs starting the year as starter, hutch back up. Pavs on short leash tho, he'll do well with the pressure, if not, helly on the quick recall and pavs on waivers

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Love the optimism here, but the writing is on the wall. They are going to rely on pavs as the starter until his contract is up.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I like it. A proven vet (proven to be no good that is) to spell Comrie off when he needs a break. Helly & Hutch on the Jets, yay.

Unfortunately, we all know that this is not the way management sees it. If he's being paid like a # 1 goalie he will dam well start and finish on the Jets. So unless the Jets start with 3 goalies, it will be Helly on the farm.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like it. A proven vet (proven to be no good that is) to spell Comrie off when he needs a break. Helly & Hutch on the Jets, yay.

Unfortunately, we all know that this is not the way management sees it. If he's being paid like a # 1 goalie he will dam well start and finish on the Jets. So unless the Jets start with 3 goalies, it will be Helly on the farm.

You're probably right that Bucky goes down but I don't buy that it is decided by pay rate. One way contracts and waiver eligibility will rule though. I just hope Hutch regains his confidence and keeps Pav on the bench.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Last year should have been the year of Hellebuyck. If Hellebuyck is not anointed the Jets starting goalie I will begin to question True North.

Have to agree, was pretty stupid having the organizations best goalie playing in the AHL when he really had nothing to prove.

Pavs and Hutch have proven enough that neither is going to ever carry a team or become reliable number 1 starting netminders!:rant:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
The difference is last year they were going into the season with Pavs and hutch who had both played well the year before. Once helle came up they were already out so he could have only hurt their draft position.

Hopefully this year they give him a real chance to prove himself to be the #1 goalie we've always needed

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Helle-buck is going to beat out Matt Murray for the starters Job for team North America young guns and win goalie of the tourney at the World cup.......... and then Pavs is going to be gifted his #1 goalie spot on the Jets

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last year should have been the year of Hellebuyck. If Hellebuyck is not anointed the Jets starting goalie I will begin to question True North.

The last 5 seasons of mind numbing goalie usage has beat the hope out of me (2014-15 freak season notwithstanding). I think we have one more season of the **** show with our tenured starter being overplayed before our org hopefully lets him walk (but that is far from a given).

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Have a feeling we keep all three up, just one will serve as a scratch. Or Pavs gets traded to a team who's Goalie has a long-term injury during pre-season, or he gets placed on waivers.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The last 5 seasons of mind numbing goalie usage has beat the hope out of me (2014-15 freak season notwithstanding). I think we have one more season of the **** show with our tenured starter being overplayed before our org hopefully lets him walk (but that is far from a given).

I'm a bit optimistic about one thing, but I refuse to say what it is for fear that if I actually do say it, I'll be surprised by the next day when Chevy does the exact opposite of what I want him to do. Then I'll be _really_ upset. I hope Chevy sees the writing on the wall.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Have to agree, was pretty stupid having the organizations best goalie playing in the AHL when he really had nothing to prove.

Pavs and Hutch have proven enough that neither is going to ever carry a team or become reliable number 1 starting netminders!:rant:

With that single move, not only did Jets management send a strong message to Hellebuyck and the Jets faithful that the organization places greater emphasis on Pavelec's contract than his actual on ice play, but it sends a direct message to Connor that he is insignificant, regardless of how he plays, and vastly inferior to Pavs and Hutch.

even worse, it circumvents the development of Comrie on the AHL Moose, as he was having a good season as the teams elite goalie, only to be usurped by Helle during the stretch drive of the AHL season. This is a great way to alienate two of our future goalies, while praising the worst starting goalie in the NHL. If you have any delusions about Pavelec being "in demand' by other NHL clubs, do a quick search of threads started by non-Jets teams, and you will have your answer as to how "respected" he is in the internet hockey community.

I may just burn my Winnipeg Jets jersey if the team starts Pavelec, and he rewards us with a sub 0.900% record. I refuse to cheer for a team that stubbornly plays players with inflated contracts, rather than give the best man for the job the start, even if he is on a far cheaper contract.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think half the reason Jets sent Hellebuyck down was that we finally tried tanking with a ****** team. I could be wrong but I don't see him getting sent down.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think half the reason Jets sent Hellebuyck down was that we finally tried tanking with a ****** team. I could be wrong but I don't see him getting sent down.

Given the other personnel moves (sidelining top players who had medical issues that they might have been able to play through, moving Ladd, etc), I think this is a fair assessment of why he was sent down.

They've shown a willingness to bench Pav in the past. If they feel they can truly compete with the line-up they ice, I do think that Helle (and perhaps Hutch) will see more time in the net.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
If Connor Hellebuyck is not in the NHL this season it's going to be a crying shame. He's 23, going to be 24, he's had 2 years pro and has shown great. If your intentions are icing the best roster with the best chance to win, there is no good reason why he shouldn't be this teams no. 1 so long as he comes in and earns it. There is nothing left for Hellebuyck to do in the AHL from a development standpoint in my opinion, and the NHL is where he should be unless he shows otherwise.

At the same age in Carey Price's career (2010-11), he started 72 games.

At the same age in Henrik Lundqvist's career (2005-06), he started 53 games.

At the same age in Jonathan Quick's career (2009-10), he started 72 games.

The talk that a goaltender needs to be overdeveloped and over ripened is hogwash.

btw I still think it's Hutch that gets sent to the Moose to begin the year. Pavelec likely isn't an option (though he should be), and I think Helle is going to show well and earn his keep. I think we gave Hutch a very fair 2-year deal but I also think the organization and player knows there is a chance he could hit waivers and spend time in the AHL given the roster competition. Regardless, he's earning a good salary on a 2-year contract so for him personally that's a plus, and if he did hit waivers there could be other opportunity out there for him.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If Connor Hellebuyck is not in the NHL this season it's going to be a crying shame. He's 23, going to be 24, he's had 2 years pro and has shown great. If your intentions are icing the best roster with the best chance to win, there is no good reason why he shouldn't be this teams no. 1 so long as he comes in and earns it. There is nothing left for Hellebuyck to do in the AHL from a development standpoint in my opinion, and the NHL is where he should be unless he shows otherwise.

At the same age in Carey Price's career (2010-11), he started 72 games.

At the same age in Henrik Lundqvist's career (2005-06), he started 53 games.

At the same age in Jonathan Quick's career (2009-10), he started 72 games.

The talk that a goaltender needs to be overdeveloped and over ripened is hogwash.

btw I still think it's Hutch that gets sent to the Moose to begin the year. Pavelec likely isn't an option (though he should be), and I think Helle is going to show well and earn his keep. I think we gave Hutch a very fair 2-year deal but I also think the organization and player knows there is a chance he could hit waivers and spend time in the AHL given the roster competition. Regardless, he's earning a good salary on a 2-year contract so for him personally that's a plus, and if he did hit waivers there could be other opportunity out there for him.

Bang on. But then what if he gets claimed? Do we need to sign another goalie to expose in expansion? Watch them extend pavs to expose them then they're stuck with him lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00