Is this the worst Leaf squad in team history??

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What I still can't figure out was why the big panic to sign this guy. I mean look at his game he's at very best a 5mill/yr player and that's more than what I think he's worth financially. The leafs could've offered him 4.5 for 4 years and if he turned it down, like I'm sure he would've, then trade him at the dead line, but nope let's overpay and strap ourselves cap wise for the next seven years.

well, and i'm am in no way trying to defend dave no no at all but

my gut tells me

pressure from above

be it lieweekly or even higher up.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
In typical Leafs fashion it was done as a reaction to him having a good 20 game stretch. I think it was the max they could have paid. I don't think even Phaneuf's agent was asking for any more than what they gave him. Remember when Grabovski went on that goal scoring tear and rather than wait the Leafs gave him the huge contract mid season. He immediately stopped scoring. Leafs never learn.

That's funny you that you mention him. I watched the islanders and flyers game the other night and it was the tail of two Grabos. The good Grabo picked off a Luke Schenn pass and scored. The bad Grabo couldn't hit a 15 foot pass to a teammate and took a point blank slapshot in the shootout missing the net completely. Oh Garbo how I miss thee>:laugh:

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
well, and i'm am in no way trying to defend dave no no at all but

my gut tells me

pressure from above

be it lieweekly or even higher up.

Maybe, but I think he cobbled the deal together and went to upper management for approval and they signed off on the deal. Whether they pressured him to make the deal or not is a matter of speculation.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
ya and the two guys that were any good from that draft Thornton and Carney they got rid of. So what's the excuse for the scouting staff now???

i don't think there should be any excuses made, it's been bad but once again

here come my devils advocate

just take a look at how many drafts slots they did not get to use in the last 20 years or so, you reduce the number of roles of the dice, you reduce the odds of doing well.

trading away already drafted players also makes them look worse

say like Rask,Steen,Brad Boyes,Stralman and some others

we tend to stop following our drafted players when they get traded away.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Maybe, but I think he cobbled the deal together and went to upper management for approval and they signed off on the deal. Whether they pressured him to make the deal or not is a matter of speculation.

i'm not sure i would use that terminology

i'd say there was pressure from above, to not lose the face of the franchise, that marketing tool

and not risk the team taking any kind of step back in the standings that trading him away might cause.

the big hubaloo of inking him up during the 24/7 production told me a lot about the priorities of the big boys.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
[/B]

i don't think there should be any excuses made, it's been bad but once again

here come my devils advocate

just take a look at how many drafts slots they did not get to use in the last 20 years or so, you reduce the number of roles of the dice, you reduce the odds of doing well.

trading away already drafted players also makes them look worse

say like Rask,Steen,Brad Boyes,Stralman and some others

we tend to stop following our drafted players when they get traded away.

One of the ones that still to this day irks me, is how they got rid of Jason Smith for absolutely nothing, Steve Sullivan on waivers and Alyn MaCaulay, Boyes in the Nolan deal. A great trade for Gilmour squandered again by idiotic management. I know a lot of guys liked Quinn but personally I couldn't stand him, never trusted his young players, burned out guys like Sundin because he refused to roll four lines. I was in Vancouver when he made that stupid trade for Mogilny. The one where he sent Peca, Smith( who never amounted to much) and a first rounder (Jay McKee) to the Sabres. Guys that were instrumental in their 99 cup run which I might add steam rolled over us in quick fashion. Now I'm off on a tangent gee thanks;)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
One of the ones that still to this day irks me, is how they got rid of Jason Smith for absolutely nothing, Steve Sullivan on waivers and Alyn MaCaulay, Boyes in the Nolan deal. A great trade for Gilmour squandered again by idiotic management. I know a lot of guys liked Quinn but personally I couldn't stand him, never trusted his young players, burned out guys like Sundin because he refused to roll four lines. I was in Vancouver when he made that stupid trade for Mogilny. The one where he sent Peca, Smith( who never amounted to much) and a first rounder (Jay McKee) to the Sabres. Guys that were instrumental in their 99 cup run which I might add steam rolled over us in quick fashion. Now I'm off on a tangent gee thanks;)

part of my master plan, muahahahaha:naughty:

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
i'm not sure i would use that terminology

i'd say there was pressure from above, to not lose the face of the franchise, that marketing tool

and not risk the team taking any kind of step back in the standings that trading him away might cause.

the big hubaloo of inking him up during the 24/7 production told me a lot about the priorities of the big boys.

That makes absolutely no sense to me that they would think in such a short term way. The mandate for this team should be , now and into the future, is a competitive, playoff, cup contending team that will guarantee playoff receipts for at least a decade. Long term thinking has never been one of the strong points of this organization.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You could recall 50+ moves and say that. They are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Immensely rich due to nothing on their management or players part.

I guess maybe I'm saying that because after almost 50yrs of futility that someone would say: "maybe we've been going about this the wrong way", just sayin:)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That makes absolutely no sense to me that they would think in such a short term way
. The mandate for this team should be , now and into the future, is a competitive, playoff, cup contending team that will guarantee playoff receipts for at least a decade. Long term thinking has never been one of the strong points of this organization.

the 2 bolded lines contradict themselves if you think about it.

it should make sense to you

seeing how you understand it, by post that last line.

it should make sense to you because you see this organisation more clearly then many,

even thought that it contradicts what "your own common sense is telling you"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I guess maybe I'm saying that because after almost 50yrs of futility that someone would say: "maybe we've been going about this the wrong way", just sayin:)

that will never happen till these key question are answered first

the most important questions and the ones that should always be answered first

" what are we trying to achieve here"

" what is our top priority to get us to our #1 goal"

the minute that our ownership group is able to set aside financial concerns that may affect decision making by their minions and employees

is the first day we take the first step in the right direction.

we need to eradicate the only thing that has been a constant here since the 60s and that's ownership chasing the big lucre

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
idk

i remember stellick talking about it once

something to the effect

" i was walking down the hall way and ballard came up to me and said, your now our GM" or the likes.

or was it " who are you again, well no matter, your our new gm"

something insane like that for a pro franchise.

He was only 29-30 at the time too. the youngest GM in NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad