Player Discussion Is this the end for Klefbom?

Will Klefbom retire?

• Total voters

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Reading between the lines in his interview today, it seems like he's thinking long and hard about hanging up the skates. There's no timetable for the surgery, he struggles to put on a shirt, he can barely play with his kids (didn't even know he was married or had kids lol), but from the sounds of it, we may have seen the last of OK77. What do you guys think?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Reading between the lines in his interview today, it seems like he's thinking long and hard about hanging up the skates. There's no timetable for the surgery, he struggles to put on a shirt, he can barely play with his kids (didn't even know he was married or had kids lol), but from the sounds of it, we may have seen the last of OK77. What do you guys think?

I concur.

Just reading between the lines you get the sense that his hockey days are over.

Credit his maturity for realizing that all the money in the World means nothing if you can't lead a normal life or enjoy the little things around you.

Just reading the article was painful for me, never mind him.

Reactions: Satire and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think I’m one of the biggest fans of Klefbom on these boards and am saddened by the extent of what he is going through. Makes me wonder what could have been had the shoulder not become an issue. Perhaps he would have been a full on 2D like he was trending to be 2016-2017.

It’s looking like the best thing for him is to focus on recovering so he can live as normal a life as he can (with chronic pain that hopefully subsides with treatment). For that reason I think he’s done but don’t blame him if he decides to go LTIRetired instead of walking away from the money. He’s already set for life but the contract is likely insured and I’m sure the org more than understands. But it means that the LTIR dance will continue for the duration. Perhaps they will be able to find a trade partner to free up the cap next year.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Arthritis is not fun! I fractured my hip at 19, and I still have ongoing issues with the arthritis to this day. I also dont play a high intensity sport every other night nor travel on a nightly basis. So I'd completely understand if he wanted to hang them up and at least get some quality of life back.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
His and Larsson's Cap hit will cover hall next season.
Why do you assume Holland will suffer a stroke and f*** the oilers like that?
What does he bring? a winning culture, ability to play the system, oh I know ,its all The playoff experience right..

.as for klef, this is the end of the run for him. if he comes back its never better than a 5-6 and he won't have the physical element whatsoever. Bummer but true. we all know its been an issue for some time.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Why do you assume Holland will suffer a stroke and f*** the oilers like that?
What does he bring? a winning culture, ability to play the system, oh I know ,its all The playoff experience right..

.as for klef, this is the end of the run for him. if he comes back its never better than a 5-6 and he won't have the physical element whatsoever. Bummer but true. we all know its been an issue for some time.

Hallsy !!!!!

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Sad if he needs to retire. Sad anyway. :(

I have been very hard/demanding on him.
Now knowing what he has been going through, I feel bad. #77 has given everything and then some.

o7 Oscar.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Not a doctor but as soon as I heard early onset arthritis I was pretty sure he was done. There just isn't much that can be done is what I've heard and it just gets worse and worse with age and use.

Hope he can get enough treatment to live a regular life and glad he was an Oiler.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
With Klef retiring and Larsson becoming a free agent (after this season) it really shines the spotlight on Bouchard/Samorukov/Broberg. Let's hope that at least one of them is a bonfide NHL'er who can step in to a regular high minutes role next season.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
With Klef retiring and Larsson becoming a free agent (after this season) it really shines the spotlight on Bouchard/Samorukov/Broberg. Let's hope that at least one of them is a bonfide NHL'er who can step in to a regular high minutes role next season.
We'll see if all the folks who have been touting the Oilers awesome defensive depth are close or not.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We'll see if all the folks who have been touting the Oilers awesome defensive depth are close or not.

I obviously think most of the hype for our defense is over the top.

But we should have enough to replace Klefbom internally with the heavy emphasis on eventually. Not to speak poorly of Klefbom in this thread but he took along time to be a positive impacting top 3 NHL defender. I wouldn't expect any of our prospects to be able to fill his boots for another couple years. I think with Nurse Bear Russell and the rest we will survive until someone else develops.

It really sucks losing a top 3 defender who is in his prime and on a team friendly contract to boot.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its really sad honestly. The guy is young and so vibrant, but now hes going to likely have to live with this for the rest of his life. I personally cant see him playing again but I doubt he will retire and forego his remaining contract, which I cant blame him. I think the Oilers are still going to have to work around his LTIR for the remainder of his contract. It would be nice if the NHL could do something about situations like this but NHL teams would probably abuse it.

Reactions: Satire and Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He never got the big pay day so I am not sure if he will permanently retire. I think he takes a couple years off, plays in Sweden if he feels better for a year and may make a NHL return after.

Reactions: subnet

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He never got the big pay day so I am not sure if he will permanently retire. I think he takes a couple years off, plays in Sweden if he feels better for a year and may make a NHL return after.
Klef probably accumulated $10M after tax and fees. That's a pretty decent amount of coin for a 27 year old

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Speaking as somebody who has been dealing with arthritis for 25 years, I think he has a few good seasons left in him. He’s only 27years old. It all comes down to whether he can train and deal with his inadequacies. Maybe working on that slap shot from the point 3 years ago wasn’t worth it?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hard to say how I feel what Klefbom should without living for a while in his body. Arthritis only goes one direction, so if everyday tasks are painful, I lean towards retiring as the smart thing to do. Hopefully he has been smart with his money and can choose the next chapter in his life instead of having it dictated to him. Sad situation all-around for a world class athlete and, by all reports, a good human being.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I speculated about this a couple of weeks ago. Makes zero sense to hurt his body further if surgery can’t and won’t ever make him pain-free. He’s had a long, well-documented history with injuries in general and that can’t be easy mentally.

Hate to see him have to hang them up so young but at this point he can pretend retire while collecting his insurance payouts and not be any worse off financially, so that has to be a factor as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad