Player Discussion Is this the end for Klefbom?

Will Klefbom retire?

• Total voters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Gifting a potential top pairing defenseman to Seattle is the worst thing Holland can do when it comes to expansion. If the surgery was successful(seems like it was) and his rehab is going well when they need to submit lists then it’s an absolute no brainer to protect him. Seattle can have Jones, Lagesson or Russell if they want a dman from us; none of them will get to the level Klef will even if he only comes back at 80%.

That is fair, it will all depend on how his rehab is going and his prognosis for a near full recovery.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I always wonder what ‘successful’ means other than he didn’t die and they didn’t find more bad crap while they were in there?

best of luck to him and hopefully a complete recovery, long pain-free life and even better, a complete hockey recovery!

Yeah, "successful" can mean a lot of things you would think. We won't know much for months you'd think.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We still don't know much about the procedure but I believe they'll know if the surgery was a success long before Klefbom is fully rehabilitated. By "a success" I mean the ability to play professional hockey at the highest level pain free. You can conclude the club will know if they are going to protect Oscar long before the fan learns of the the club's intentions because it is not in the team's best interest to make the outcome of the procedure public knowledge, and it's a sound strategy.

Latest from sportsnet: Oilers' Oscar Klefbom has successful shoulder surgery in Cleveland

Reactions: joestevens29

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I always wonder what ‘successful’ means other than he didn’t die and they didn’t find more bad crap while they were in there?

best of luck to him and hopefully a complete recovery, long pain-free life and even better, a complete hockey recovery!

I think it just means they accomplished what they set out to do with any unexpected hiccups taken care of and basically the patient didn't have any issues while under anesthesia, like cardiac arrest.

I recall Klefbom had a plethora of options, with one being a complete shoulder replacement. Does anyone know which surgery option he went for? Watch him be able to shoot the puck 175 mph now :laugh:.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I really hope the surgery was successful. The big question however is do we protect him or not. I think the Oilers are best to not protect him as there are no guarantees that he will be back and healthy, and Seattle may not want to risk it as there are a plethora of good defensemen that will be available with the expansion draft. So much so that I can see them taking someone like a Kassian to be their Ryan Reaves. He would be a massive fan favourite actually in Seattle.

Anyway I digress. Klefbom as our 2LD paired with a rejuvenated Larsson and if we can resign Barrie our top 4 D is the best we have had since 1984.
The only way they don't protect him is if at the time the decision has to be made there is a strong indication that he is done, or if they have a side deal with Seattle not to choose him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think it just means they accomplished what they set out to do with any unexpected hiccups taken care of and basically the patient didn't have any issues while under anesthesia, like cardiac arrest.

I recall Klefbom had a plethora of options, with one being a complete shoulder replacement. Does anyone know which surgery option he went for? Watch him be able to shoot the puck 175 mph now :laugh:.
Only one I’m confident he didn’t get was a shoulder replacement

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I really hope he's not on the roster next year.

I can't bear another season of not addressing our defense because he's pencilled into the top-4 and then pretending to be surprised when he gets injured for 20 games and the defense is a mess because of it.

I wish him all the best, but we need to move on without him.

Reactions: JordanGalhanth

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I really hope he's not on the roster next year.

I can't bear another season of not addressing our defense because he's pencilled into the top-4 and then pretending to be surprised when he gets injured for 20 games and the defense is a mess because of it.

I wish him all the best, but we need to move on without him.

As nice as it would be to have him back, I agree. It would feel like found money if he just magically was healthy again and could play regularly for the next 2 years, but in all likelihood that isn’t what will happen - he’ll play for a couple months and then have to get shut down again and we’ll have a hole in our roster that we haven’t been able to address.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I thought this was about Klefbom and the Oilers. No I don't believe Klefa will retire, but yes I would consider Klefa Done with the Oilers going forward.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I'd imagine the team and their doctors will have a good idea of where Klefbom stands come expansion time.

Like mentioned earlier, whether they protect him or not will give fans and other teams a clear indication of how he's progressing.

If they protect him it probably means Holland feels there's a decent chance he can play again and get back to form. If they expose him then he's likely done.

Personally I'd love to see Klef back. It could complicate things cap wise but if he can get back to full form it would be the best defensive lineup this team has seen in years.

If I were to predict the outcome I'm willing to bet he'll return but will be a shell of his former self. He might kick around on a couple of teams with poor results before finally deciding to call it quits or heading home to finish his career in Sweden. I hope I'm wrong but I guess time will tell.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

DecisiveLoathsomeHoneycreeper-small.gif

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Guy's been a warrior for this team. Wishing Oscar good health and recovery on what has to be a pretty traumatic life altering decision at such a young age.

Reactions: AM

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The only way they don't protect him is if at the time the decision has to be made there is a strong indication that he is done, or if they have a side deal with Seattle not to choose him.

Yes I agree. If the prognosis isn't good, they will leave him open or the NHL may rule it is possibly career ending in which case we don't have to protect him. I don't think there will too many side deals after how Vegas raped a few teams on those. Especially with Holland who seems fairly pragmatic in his approach.

Seattle probably makes some side deals with other managers to take bad cap hits though. Will be interesting.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Oscar's game has been all over the place for years. It must be from this shoulder issue and I'm willing to accept that.
When he's playing healthy he's a fantastic d-man. When he wasn't.. he was downright awful.

It's a tough call.

If we got Healthy Oscar back. That Oscar from the 2017 season and playoff run. Damn that's a #1 d-man imo.
If we get Injured out of the lineup Oscar.. Well at least he's on IR and we can replace him.
If we get Injured but playing through it Oscar.. Crap that's a liability imo.

I just hope he gets healthy enough to live his day to day life. I've heard it was bad enough that it was impacting it.
He may not have played great injured but I appreciate him playing none the less.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yes I agree. If the prognosis isn't good, they will leave him open or the NHL may rule it is possibly career ending in which case we don't have to protect him. I don't think there will too many side deals after how Vegas raped a few teams on those. Especially with Holland who seems fairly pragmatic in his approach.

Seattle probably makes some side deals with other managers to take bad cap hits though. Will be interesting.

Seattle is in great shape for the expansion draft in spite of the rest of the league seeing them coming ... unlike Vegas. Starting at zero cap they can absorb a limited number of bad contracts but you have to believe the price will be steep with the extended covid flat cap. Don't meet their price, Seattle moves on to other teams for their best offers or saves their money to take a targeted run at some select free agents. There won't be any charity cases.

I don't think the Oilers risk exposing Klefbom. He's a reasonable, attractive risk-reward for Seattle. If healthy, they get a quality under 30 top two pairing NHL defenceman. If not healthy and able to play, they get a $4.1 LTIR tradeable asset which is also like gold in a prolonged covid flat cap.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Really hope he's able to come back for us and play at a top 4 level. We forget about Oscar because of Nurse's growth this season, but the truth is a defence anchored by a current level Nurse and a healthy Klefbom along with all of the other up and coming D in the system has the potential to be a very very good defence.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Really hope he's able to come back for us and play at a top 4 level. We forget about Oscar because of Nurse's growth this season, but the truth is a defence anchored by a current level Nurse and a healthy Klefbom along with all of the other up and coming D in the system has the potential to be a very very good defence.
Yep.

And adding to that, if Klefbom can come back and play at a top 4D level and help anchor the left side with Nurse, our only 2 really glaring areas of need are a top 6 left winger, a third line center and a goalie. Not having to spend assets on defence in the off-season will give us a better ability to address the aforementioned areas and really turn this team into a contender IMO.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I really, really hope Klefbom comes back and can play at a high level again. Without him we're still short a 2nd pair LD, but with him we actually have a really solid defense. It would also mean that is not as crucial to re-sign Barrie and it would give the Oilers more options going into next season.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

OilRick

Mar 16, 2004
Northern Alberta
When I was about 23 I was walking around a shop where I was the mechanic, and slipped in some drilling mud someone spilt on the ground. Had a new pair of jeans on so I tried to catch myself and jarred my elbow. Well it was sore, but harvest was going so just had to ignore it. Worst was to shift a gearshift in a truck down. Almost piss yourself everytime you would pull it downwards. If yu kept your elbow in towards your body it hardly hurt though.

Well went to see a doctor after harvest and he stood about three feet away looked at me and diagnosed it as arthritis. I told him I fell but the old prick couldn't be told anything. Two years I was taking naproxen and some other arthritis drug that just dulled the pain. Had to mechanic in the winter using my left had as pulling a wrench hurt like hell. Couldn't hold my kids for more then a couple minutes.

Went in for a sinus infection a couple years later and had a locum doctor. She checked it out and jumped when I moved my arm when she felt my shoulder, She said something is broken in there! So had an arthrogram done and sure enough extensively torn Labrum. About three months later went in for an operation. They had to repair a partially torn rotator cuff, extensively torn labrum and a partially torn bicep muscle. The doctor post surgery told me I had bad arthritis cause it took so long to diagnose. I gave my first doctor a royal ass chewing when I saw next time!

Well about five days after surgery had a neighbor leave some bales out in the field and Dad told me to move them. Five days is enough healing after surgery I guess. Well screwed it up and was about 2 months healing after that, went to work in the oilfield and arm was good. It remained good until a couple years ago. Absolutely no pain whatsoever. Strong as it ever was. Arm never had an ache until I hit 45, then where your clavicle attaches to the shoulder became arthritic. Then a couple years later tore the crap out of it again.

Point of my long winded story is I got 20 good years out of the shoulder before I had any trouble. That was with no physiotherapy, doctors or any kind of help just hard work. I am pretty sure Klef can do better then I did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad