Player Discussion Is this the end for Klefbom?

Will Klefbom retire?

• Total voters

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Klef isn't Evander Kane tho.

Continue and spend millions on pain meds or retire and open a business and live off that. Or retire and work with the Oilers in some sort of coaching/training capacity

Not many guys can claim to be Evander.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If he doesn't retire and stays on LTIR til the end of contract would he not keep getting paid millions?

Why pass up on that?
He obviously wouldn’t. He has another ~$15m coming that he will be able to collect while on LTIR.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
That's official retirement. I'm sure the team has no prob with the "unofficial" route

Yes, clearly he stays on the LTIR, question is does he ever play again?

I am going to say yes, and bet against everyone. Oscar has a great work ethic and they always seem to be making huge strides in treatments etc. Look at how McD came back from his knee. I bet he will come back and surprise everyone, hope I am right anyway.

Reactions: yukoner88

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I am going to say yes, and bet against everyone. Oscar has a great work ethic and they always seem to be making huge strides in treatments etc. Look at how McD came back from his knee. I bet he will come back and surprise everyone, hope I am right anyway.

If Klefbom has the will, I agree with you that he is fully capable of putting together a decent comeback. But judging from the comments, Klefbom seems to be weighing the risk benefit to his long term health. Sure he could have surgery n come back n play 2-5 more years. But what if a future injury undoes the surgical repairs, or what if something goes haywire during rehab (rehab to play, not just rehab to heal), how is that going to affect his quality of life going forward.

If he wants long term quality of life/comfort, he's done.

If he decides the risk isn't as bad as we all think and he can cope for a few more years, he'll get er done.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'd like to agree with you. The problem I'm having is that he isn't living his day to day life pain free.

I really think it can go either way. If it does get to the point where the treatments/surgery manage the pain and discomfort better, does he give it one last shot? Or does he just figure after finally living pain free that maybe it's not worth it anymore.

It's really a coin flip for me and even then the coin would probably end up standing on edge.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sorry that's what I meant, go on LTIR then retire at end of contract. Retiring due to injury.
He would still get his money in that scenario, which I hope especially since he has been such a bargain for many years.

It's usually insurance paying it, or at least part

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He never got the big pay day so I am not sure if he will permanently retire. I think he takes a couple years off, plays in Sweden if he feels better for a year and may make a NHL return after.

Holy shit. You don't consider 29 million dollars a big payday?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If Klefbom has the will, I agree with you that he is fully capable of putting together a decent comeback. But judging from the comments, Klefbom seems to be weighing the risk benefit to his long term health. Sure he could have surgery n come back n play 2-5 more years. But what if a future injury undoes the surgical repairs, or what if something goes haywire during rehab (rehab to play, not just rehab to heal), how is that going to affect his quality of life going forward.

If he wants long term quality of life/comfort, he's done.

If he decides the risk isn't as bad as we all think and he can cope for a few more years, he'll get er done.

The is I bet there is a way to put in a ton of training and have the pain go away and a career. If so then Oscar will do it, he has great work ethic. I agree thought, if it can't be done, he will probably retire. I just bet with time and options he will figure out a way to do it. Ala McDavid really.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
The is I bet there is a way to put in a ton of training and have the pain go away and a career. If so then Oscar will do it, he has great work ethic. I agree thought, if it can't be done, he will probably retire. I just bet with time and options he will figure out a way to do it. Ala McDavid really.

McDavid's knee and Klefbom's shoulder are two totally separate injuries. McDavid's was definitely severe, but at least it was a one-off, and he was able to rehab and come back with a vengeance.

Meanwhile, Klefbom's shoulder has been acting up for years, even dating back to his SHL days. He's already had two surgeries before this latest aggravation.

I hate to say it...but he's done.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It is hard to make a decision based on the lack of information. I checked "no" since I want to be optimistic that he will make a full recovery.

Reactions: Samus44

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I voted yes because this organization has bad luck (other than draft lotteries)

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
He would still get his money in that scenario, which I hope especially since he has been such a bargain for many years.

It's usually insurance paying it, or at least part
Yes he would, that's what I mean by I worded it wrong, that's what I meant the whole time lol

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

Good luck Oscar :DD

He's 90- 10 odds of being done, and the timing is pretty much the game plan. surgery him up , he won't be ready for t/c and sure as hell wont have any data on him at the expansion draft so they'll get him surgery and leave him exposed to the draft. If he gets taken seattle has their first ltiretired contract on the books. If he doesn't get taken and does come back we have a logjam and a trade chip.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I really hope the surgery was successful. The big question however is do we protect him or not. I think the Oilers are best to not protect him as there are no guarantees that he will be back and healthy, and Seattle may not want to risk it as there are a plethora of good defensemen that will be available with the expansion draft. So much so that I can see them taking someone like a Kassian to be their Ryan Reaves. He would be a massive fan favourite actually in Seattle.

Anyway I digress. Klefbom as our 2LD paired with a rejuvenated Larsson and if we can resign Barrie our top 4 D is the best we have had since 1984.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I really hope the surgery was successful. The big question however is do we protect him or not. I think the Oilers are best to not protect him as there are no guarantees that he will be back and healthy, and Seattle may not want to risk it as there are a plethora of good defensemen that will be available with the expansion draft. So much so that I can see them taking someone like a Kassian to be their Ryan Reaves. He would be a massive fan favourite actually in Seattle.

Anyway I digress. Klefbom as our 2LD paired with a rejuvenated Larsson and if we can resign Barrie our top 4 D is the best we have had since 1984.
Gifting a potential top pairing defenseman to Seattle is the worst thing Holland can do when it comes to expansion. If the surgery was successful(seems like it was) and his rehab is going well when they need to submit lists then it’s an absolute no brainer to protect him. Seattle can have Jones, Lagesson or Russell if they want a dman from us; none of them will get to the level Klef will even if he only comes back at 80%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->